|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart deep cycle battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Wills6.4 Hemi

meadows

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 12:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 1 year old everstart battery clearly says made by Johnson controls.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

mobeewan wrote:

Per my conversation with one of the technical people at Johnson controls who make the EverStart batteries for Walmart ...

I don't know how recent your conversation was, but I found this on the Internet.

Jason Johnson wrote:

Jason Johnson, Automotive Service Advisor (2016-present)
Answered Sep 6, 2018
Most EverStart batteries are made by Exide with a few made by Delphi.

Johnson Control does not make batteries for Wal-Mart nor do they any longer make Interstate (now made by Exide.)

Common JCI battery brands are Optima and Duralast. New Duralast batteries come off of the same line as the old Interstate batteries with the same guts and warranty.

Since Delphi sold their battery business to JCI 12-1/2 years ago, I doubt that is true. You can easily identify JCI batteries by looking at the vent caps. JCI caps have beveled corners. And JCI does currently supply most batteries to Walmart and Interstate.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

If it says MARINE it is not DEEP CYCLE.. if it says GC it is (GC-2)

Trolling batteries may also be DEEP CYCLE. But I've never seen them in the store.

They are deep-cycle batteries by definition. There is nothing magical about a golf car battery and nothing distinguishes them from a marine deep-cycle in construction or chemistry.

Not true !

Yes, the chemistry is the same, but there are differences in construction. True deep cycle batteries have thicker plates (one reason they weight more per cubic inch than dual purpose batteries) and the have more room at the bottom of the case.

Read this link The difference between starting and deep discharge batteriesx

Since I spent 11 years testing and evaluating primary and secondary batteries as an engineer, I don't think your link tells me much.

No, there are no differences in construction between the Everstart and Trojan that distinguishes either as a deep-cycle. The JCI 29 is a deep-cycle in every way it is possible to define the term. In general, a deep-cycle has fewer, thicker plates to handle the abuse that deep discharges inflict on the battery, while a cranking battery has many, thin plates to maximize contact between the plates and electrolyte to facilitate the chemical reaction during the short cranking period.

There are alloy changes and specific gravity changes that can improve battery performance and cycle life, but the presence or absences of these differences doesn't change the fact that a battery is or isn't a deep-cycle.

The most notable difference you see in chemistry is higher specific gravity. This is because the capacity of a battery is largely determined by the quantity of sulfuric acid ions in the case, so increasing the volume of the case or increasing the concentration of ions are two ways of increasing the storage capacity of a battery. Trojan is a common example with their 1.277 specific gravity and 12.72V OCV at full charge.

Any battery that can handle 50% DoD for years at a time as the JCI 29 can is a deep-cycle.

The only thing the term "marine" means on a battery is the terminal size and type.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Blazing Zippers wrote:

Have any on here used Walmart EverStart marine and rv batteries? I looked at the 27DC model. It has the words 750 MCA written on the side.

The issue with EverStart batteries is they are a retailer brand name, not a manufacture brand. So, who makes it can vary based on who is contracted to make the battery. The quality of one manufacture may be poor where the quality of another is good. You could even buy two of the same batteries at the same time and they are made by two different manufactures depending on the manufacturing date. As a result, reviews need to be examined to see if the grouping of negatives or positives are based around the actual manufacture; often corresponding to purchase year.

With that said, WalMart's EverStart are sold as dual starting/deep cycle although one group is actually a truer deep cycle versus the other. As mentioned the ones listed with the alpha code DC are actual deep cycle where the the dual purpose is listed as MS for Marine - Starting. The DC should also specifically state can be used for trolling where the MS probably omits that statement. One item that has been consistently reported is if possible, get the EverStart MAXX DC AGM's. These most likely have to be ordered for pickup at the store, but for the few dollars more, they have a much higher rating for deep cycle use and quality.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

mike brez

milford ct

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going on my 5th year with These

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jkwilson wrote:

Any battery that can handle 50% DoD for years at a time as the JCI 29 can is a deep-cycle.

I will concur with that statement, if you can show me a document that states this.

jkwilson wrote:

The only thing the term "marine" means on a battery is the terminal size and type.

Marine/dual purpose batteries advertise CCA or MCA. I have never seen any true deep discharge battery advertise either.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

I'm going on my 5th year with These

That is an impressive 8D battery !

However, a pair of good quality golf cart batteries (Duracell EGC2) will deliver Reserve Capacity of about 450 minutes (discharging at 25A) where that monster will deliver 430 minutes. The pair weigh more but you can handle them one at a time, and the pair probably cost less.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

One item that has been consistently reported is if possible, get the EverStart MAXX DC AGM's. These most likely have to be ordered for pickup at the store, but for the few dollars more, they have a much higher rating for deep cycle use and quality.

On Walmart.com, I could not find a listing for any EverStart MAXX DC (marine) batteries as being AGM. Do you have a link ?

jake2250

Sacramento

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am running that 27 DC Ever start right now in my fishing boat as a stand alone trolling motor.
Its going on 6 years now, I replaced my motor starting/ trolling motor with it and as of three years ago I re designed my boat and installed a 29 DC as the starting motor and mounted this 27 DC up front for the trolling motor!
I have two new Oars and will run that 27 DC until it croaks!
But for now,, I feel they have done me right!
A word on my usage,, In the early spring and into most of summer I fish two to thee times a week. Sometimes I travel over 100 miles to fish and the boat tags along behind the truck and it is not always a smooth ride!
Trolling,, I make sure the 27DC is at least 13V before I go out and will run it down to just below 12v before I head back!
As soon as I get home is goes on a battery charging bank and will charge for a few days before i go back out again!
I am happy with its performance, BUT,, it could be dead tomorrow or last another year or two.
I feel 5 years is the max and this has been a good one!

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

starcraft69 wrote:

Just a quick reminder if you RV Park camp it really doesn't matter what battery. If you dry camp then it will matter. I see so many people waste money on expensive batteries and all they do is use full hook-ups.

You would think that but... I recall being half asleep one night, Full hook up (50 amp) site and BANG.. NO POWER.. No the plug did not fail.

A driver missed the curve.. What he did not miss was that tall Pole alongside the road.. and BANG.. No power. NO internet NO landline phone NO cable tv.. NOTHING with wires attached..

Batteries did the deed till the power was restored.

In another campgrong.. Same BANG. Same NO POWER.. only this time it was a construction worker on a back hoe and an underground PRIMARY line.

And then the Hurricane came by

And the tornado (Depending on where) Need not threaten the CG (neither did) but close enough to take out power.

Every time my batteries held.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart deep cycle battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS