|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart deep cycle battery

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ItsyRV wrote:

The issue with EverStart batteries is they are a retailer brand name, not a manufacture brand. So, who makes it can vary based on who is contracted to make the battery.
This comment made me go inspect my 4 EverStarts.
The dates on my 27DCs are: 12/11, 10/13 and 4/15. The date on my 29DC is 8/17, bought it for Hurricane Harvey. They all say manufactured by Johnson Control, Milwaukee WI.

The one with date code 12/11 boiled out last year. Currently the 10/13 starts the boat and powers the GPS & depth/fish finder. The 8/17 runs the trolling motor. The 4/15 is in the camper.

On a side note, I see a pattern here. I buy a new battery every 2 years

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

jkwilson wrote:

Any battery that can handle 50% DoD for years at a time as the JCI 29 can is a deep-cycle.

I will concur with that statement, if you can show me a document that states this.

jkwilson wrote:

The only thing the term "marine" means on a battery is the terminal size and type.

Marine/dual purpose batteries advertise CCA or MCA. I have never seen any true deep discharge battery advertise either.

Advertising CCA is irrelevant. Every battery has a CCA value, and measuring and reporting it doesn’t change the type of battery it is. A deep-cycle battery makes an excellent cranking battery in low demand applications, though the reduced plate area generally cuts CCA by about 1/3.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And putting the CCA info on true deep cyle batteries confuse people into thinking they are Marine Starting batteries. That is why I called Johnson Controls. I couldn't understand why there was one battery that was supposed to be a deep cycle with CCA info and another that was labeled as a Marine Starting battery with CCA listed. Was told that they built the battery to Walmart's specification and put Walmart's labels on the battery but it was still a deep cycle battery and not a Marine starting battery. Can't understand why they are doing it unless it's just too make comparison to cranking batteries.

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mobeewan wrote:

And putting the CCA info on true deep cyle batteries confuse people into thinking they are Marine Starting batteries. That is why I called Johnson Controls. I couldn't understand why there was one battery that was supposed to be a deep cycle with CCA info and another that was labeled as a Marine Starting battery with CCA listed. Was told that they built the battery to Walmart's specification and put Walmart's labels on the battery but it was still a deep cycle battery and not a Marine starting battery. Can't understand why they are doing it unless it's just too make comparison to cranking batteries.

My guess is that it is marketing on Walmart's behalf. Unless you RV, boat or use solar the vast majority of consumers only know a battery by what is in their car or truck (CCA). It likely helps Walmart sell batteries to consumers with limited knowledge. It's all about how many you sell.

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CaLBaR wrote:

It likely helps Walmart sell batteries to consumers with limited knowledge.
Rob

sounds like a lot of posts in this thread.
"if it has the word "marine" on it it can't be a "true" deep cycle"
if it shows CCA, it can't be a true deep cycle, etc. etc.
bumpy

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used 4 EverStart MAXX 29 series batteries for years. Their life is around 5 years +- depending upon my use and/or maintenance. They are rated at 115 AHs each giving a total of 460 AHs. The earlier models were rated 125 AHs. We operate everything except the A/C/Heat Pumps, Clothes Dryer and Hot Water Heater. I can operate a 2 HP Air Compressor and various electrical saw and hand tools. Should I desire there is sufficient storage and current to do mild welding.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rolls-Surrette list cca on their deep cycle batteries. Hard to find anything of higher quality than them.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

ItsyRV wrote:

One item that has been consistently reported is if possible, get the EverStart MAXX DC AGM's. These most likely have to be ordered for pickup at the store, but for the few dollars more, they have a much higher rating for deep cycle use and quality.

On Walmart.com, I could not find a listing for any EverStart MAXX DC (marine) batteries as being AGM. Do you have a link ?

I called my friend over at WM tech center, he said it's now under the Platinum sub-name, but the AGM's are only starting, no more deep cycle. Since you can order a ton of other manufactures batteries through WM and have it shipped to the store for pickup, they stopped private manufacturing slow seller under their name. If you search "AGM Deep Cycle Battery" on walmart, you'll see what he's talking about.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

mda

Scotia, NY/Clermont, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the Everstart Maxx 27 DC and have gotten good service out of them. But since I went to a Trojan Group 27 AGM, their is no comparison. The Trojan being a true deep cycle battery.

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/19 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have two Group 29 Marine batteries from Walmart that are three years old and going strong in my Ranger R61 bass boat. They see duty on a 24 volt trolling motor and will run all day on Lake Erie. These batteries run a Minn Kota i-Pilot System with Spot Lock, this motor run almost continuously for seven to ten hours a day. The battery level after this abuse will show 75% charge remaining. I have an Interstate Dual Purpose battery handling the starting duty and all of the electronics on the boat.
Major thing is maintenance and recharging after each use. The three batteries are on battery maintainers when not in use. I firmly believe that a battery maintainer will extend the life of any battery at least 100%. JMHO [emoticon]

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission,
EFI by Kory, 4" Exhaust w/muffler turbo back

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Walmart deep cycle battery
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS