RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: The sins of the previous owners...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> The sins of the previous owners...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sitting out under the awning while raining is one of my pleasures while camping

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

2 many 2

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 04:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

Sitting out under the awning while raining is one of my pleasures while camping

Me too [emoticon]

The bigger the beverage the better!!!!

* This post was edited 01/12/19 05:02am by 2 many 2 *

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You lucky folks have no idea what can happen...
Between working on other peoples old boats and being the owner of a GMC motorhome, I have see enough to make a Farmers Insurance commercial look lame.

In the boat world we often say that on launching any temporary repairs become permanent. I am not going to start a list here and now, but I maybe should for my memoirs.

In the GMC part of things, you have to start by realizing that the newest is 40 years old. Most have had numerous owners and some of those have not been very skilled at maintenance, but you can't push all the blame off on the owners. We have also seen some amazing repairs done by shops that were supposed to know what they were doing. Some were even downright dangerous.

The wire on a nut was a clever rig in my book. And yes, a lot of hitch kits come with nuts that have a long sheet metal handle so you can get them where they need to be.

Oh, a "Long Reach Thing Grabber" has been a part of my standard kit for years.

Some time, if we meet and you are willing to buy the beer, I can go on a while longer about scary repairs.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the fly swatter:

[image]

The original owner, and fly-swatter-repairman, made lots of hokey modifications and repairs but nothing dangerous. Mechanically and cosmetically it was very well maintained which is why it's still on the road 35 years later.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In defense of the fly swagger repair my dear wife entertains herself eliminating flys wherever we happen to be. She has her favorite ones and this happens to be one. I have purchased ones that look like a hand and other odd shapes and she says they are not the same. Giving ones bride the last word as soon as possible I agree with her. Having little experience operating one I cannot disagree with her, I’ve tried but it’s better not to.

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

In defense of the fly swagger repair my dear wife entertains herself eliminating flys wherever we happen to be. She has her favorite ones and this happens to be one. I have purchased ones that look like a hand and other odd shapes and she says they are not the same. Giving ones bride the last word as soon as possible I agree with her. Having little experience operating one I cannot disagree with her, I’ve tried but it’s better not to.

Maybe it was his favorite, too, and rather than toss it he put a splint on it.

The one thing I wish he had fixed but didn't was the fuel level sender. Instead, when he filled up the tank he wrote the mileage in pencil in random places in the cab. It took me a while to figure out the meaning of all of the numbers written everywhere but once I cracked the code I was able to determine that the fuel gauge failed at around 24,000 miles. I use a pad an paper, but that's just me.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 08:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding the top-nut placed with a wire leaving you to wonder how he could have tightened the shock. I assume this was the shock by the driver on an E-series. If so, I came up with a reasonable solution.

As illustrated, I temporarily removed the two sharped-tip screws that provided two different access areas for my hand to the top of the shock. First to start threading the nut, then to hold the nut "fixed" with a wrench while tightening it up by turning the shock via an open-ended wrench on the top of the shock hex as seen.

[image]

Here you can better see the top of the shock with hex for an open-ended wrench.
[image]

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

JumboJet

Tontitown ARKANSAW

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The previous owner of my MH only put 7,600 miles on it before I took ownership and I haven't seen any DIY rigging.

Now the next owner ...............

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 12:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ron.dittmer wrote:

Regarding the top-nut placed with a wire leaving you to wonder how he could have tightened the shock. I assume this was the shock by the driver on an E-series. If so, I came up with a reasonable solution.

Pretty cool, but it's the rear shock on a Chevy P30 chassis. The factory setup is a stud pressed into a mount on the frame. If/when the stud breaks off, you can't get another one in there from behind. Instead, you have to fish a nut up behind the mount and install a bolt. It's pretty hokey but gets the job done.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/19 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll have to remember this thread. The next time someone suggest buying used vs. new in order to get a RV with all the kinks worked out and problems already resolved[emoticon]

2019 Duramax w/hips,12 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> The sins of the previous owners...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS