RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Lippert Components - Not our friends.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lippert Components - Not our friends.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very disappointed in Lippert Components. I have a dual air/hydraulic leveling system on my motor home made by Lippert for Valid Systems. One morning we woke up and went to leave our site. We were only there one night so I leveled on the air system. When I put the leveling system into travel mode the pump motor starting a high pitch and very loud whine and quickly failed. When we reached our destination and I could start to look at things better I took apart the pump assembly from the manifold and then removed it from the jug and found that a small plastic piece that looks very much like a straw had broken off from where it was inserted into the pump. This plastic piece was about 1 inch long and 1/2 inch in diameter. The pick up tube connected to it and therefore the pump and motor were running dry right before it failed.

I started dealing with Lippert and was told that they would not sell this plastic piece to me and that I would have to buy their part # 359354 @ $2176.95. This part number is for the entire pump assembly. How nice of them. The little plastic piece could not cost more than a few pennies and I would have been happy to pay a premium for it, but not thousands of dollars. I know I am smarter than the pump so I drilled out the area the plastic part clipped into and threaded it and screwed in a brass hose barb that will never break. Then I bought a new motor from Ebay for $165.00. Put the whole thing back together and it works great. But it still eats at me just how bad they would have ripper me off. My end cost was just under $200 to make the repairs.

I wanted to share this for two reasons. 1st because of how disgusted I am with Lippert. and 2nd so that others may find this and be able to help themselves not be taken advantage of.

Photos of what I did are here in no order. https://imgur.com/a/mzWmbkk

2009 American Tradition 42P
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimted

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Depending on how the piece was made, you may have been able to have someone with a 3D printer fabricate a new one.

Just a thought for future reference.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah or a local machine shop might be able to fabricate one out of metal or maybe plastic. Take the piece to one and see what they say.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

DutchmenSport

Over There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete

* This post was edited 01/20/19 07:49pm by DutchmenSport *

Freightguy

River Ranch, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed, I bought a nylon barb and decided to go with the brass so it would never break again so I probably still would have gone brass even if I had the 3D printer option.

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Depending on how the piece was made, you may have been able to have someone with a 3D printer fabricate a new one.

Just a thought for future reference.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap Junk. No pride in workmanship. All about profits. Sadly they could have used quality materials for very little more expense and passed it on to you but chose not to. Thanks for the warning. Problem is the RV industry as a whole buys this junk in bulk and really are not our friends.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are the very poster child for junk.
I fear any complicated system in an RV that's made by Lippert and will avoid buying anything with such a system if I can.
There are just some things you cannot do cheap - hydraulics being one.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

path1

Varies with weather

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After a lippert 5th wheel failure and they wouldn't stand behind their work, I tried to get away from lippert all I could and bought an arctic fox. Still stuck with Lippert windows and doors.

Lippert not your friend that's for sure.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert blows.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the heck of it, I sent LCI a link to this discussion. Would be interesting to see how they feel about the subject matter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Lippert Components - Not our friends.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS