|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Swing out jack brackets

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wharfcat

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've gotten my new F-350 dually, previous truck was a SRW Chevy.
Loaded the camper yesterday and man there isn't much clearance between the front jacks. The brackets are swing out but just not enough. I did measure before I started and knew it was tight. Too tight for me to feel comfortable. It looks like if I added some 4" or maybe even 6" flat bar between the jack and the bracket would give me some much needed clearance. So here I am, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel. Anyone else have the same problem and got any ideas? Maybe even 2 pieces of flat bar and sandwich the jack/bracket mountings. Not sure if I would use steel or aluminum. I'm thinking 1/4 thick.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Companies make swing out brackets. You could look at those. Otherwise, I suppose you could use angle, but then you’d lose the ability to pivot them out of the way.

They aren’t that expensive. Not anywhere close to a new F-350.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wharfcat wrote:

I Maybe even 2 pieces of flat bar and sandwich the jack/bracket mountings. Not sure if I would use steel or aluminum. I'm thinking 1/4 thick.

Bingo. Just use some flat stock and extend the reach. 1/4" steel should work fine and is cheap. 1/4 inch aluminum should work fine as well and no need to paint.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Companies make swing out brackets. You could look at those. Otherwise, I suppose you could use angle, but then you’d lose the ability to pivot them out of the way.

They aren’t that expensive. Not anywhere close to a new F-350.

OP already has swing out brackets

Wharfcat

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Wharfcat wrote:

I Maybe even 2 pieces of flat bar and sandwich the jack/bracket mountings. Not sure if I would use steel or aluminum. I'm thinking 1/4 thick.

Bingo. Just use some flat stock and extend the reach. 1/4" steel should work fine and is cheap. 1/4 inch aluminum should work fine as well and no need to paint.

Great. I like the Aluminum also because it's a little easier to drill. I'll have to see how much slack I have in the cable. That is a limiting factor on how far I can come out.

GAR2

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wharfcat, I have an idea what your up against- I purchase a 2002 F350 cc 8’ box rdw just so I could buy a tc. First thing I noticed was the limited clearance. Once I find a tc to buy I will be building or modifying swingouts, but that’s what I do everyday- Union Boilermaker Welder, do you have anyone, Family or Friends nearby that could look at it? I’m not just suggesting you have anyone do it- too many variables. I know when I fabricate mine I’ll more than likely use stainless steel and TIG weld them. Just an idea if you can’t find a factory swing out with comfortable clearance—make sure it’s someone trustworthy though and experienced with fabrication— Best, Glenn

Wharfcat

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

work2much wrote:

Wharfcat wrote:

Doubled up may be overkill, may limit if I can swing them into the inward position. Guess I'll do some more measuring and the chase down some material. Many thanks.

Wharfcat

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GAR2 wrote:

Wharfcat, I have an idea what your up against- I purchase a 2002 F350 cc 8’ box rdw just so I could buy a tc. First thing I noticed was the limited clearance. Once I find a tc to buy I will be building or modifying swingouts, but that’s what I do everyday- Union Boilermaker Welder, do you have anyone, Family or Friends nearby that could look at it? I’m not just suggesting you have anyone do it- too many variables. I know when I fabricate mine I’ll more than likely use stainless steel and TIG weld them. Just an idea if you can’t find a factory swing out with comfortable clearance—make sure it’s someone trustworthy though and experienced with fabrication— Best, Glenn

Yeah I'm retired oil field trash so it doesn't look too tough. I've got a porta-band but I'd prefer to pay a cut charge, then all I have to do is drill some holes and bolt it up. Might change my mind when I see the price on the cut charge. I'm a recovering tightwad.

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happijack makes extender dually brackets, GOOGLE

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had to extend my swing out brackets as well when I got an F450. The rear fenders absolutely wouldn’t fit between the jacks. I used 3” wide flat stock, 3/16” thick, and sandwiched the jack and. bracket between two layers.

[image]

If your jacks swing in as far as mine do, don’t extend them too much, or you could hit the cab with the jack when you swing them in.

[image]

Mine end up pretty close to the front tiedowns, so I have to center the camper in the bed carefully.

[image]

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Swing out jack brackets
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS