|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Millennials and RVs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
shelbyfv

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several threads recently have shown there are lots of elderly among us. Here's an article from USA Today regarding RVs and the youngsters. Link

Lwiddis

Death Valley!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baloney article such as this paragraph...”"People nowadays want all the comforts of home," said Jim Humble, president of Colorado-based Cousins RV dealership. "All your campgrounds have Wi-Fi now, but if you're far away from the front, you want that signal booster."

It’s rarely signal strength. It’s bandwidth that’s so limited WiFi becomes unusable.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 03:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Despite having modern amenities such as USB, etc., an RV will continue to be an RV, meaning even brand new ones will require continuous and frequent maintenance. The question is, will the new generation be prepared to do various and frequent mechanical and electrical repairs on their RV? Most of us older folks who have been doing this for many years just naturally and automatically fix things that go wrong as a matter of course. We change the blown fuse, tighten the bolt, etc. and then move on to the next destination. Kids nowadays want to sit in front of a monitor, or hold their Iphone up next to their eyes and block out any sense of reality around them. Even the fundamental goal of RVing goes against their grain by "getting away from it all". If we are aware of the world around us, we will realize that many things we grew up with have changed and/or are gone completely. It is entirely possible the RV industry will gradually shrink and may even die off. The world is changing folks. Depending on your point of view, this is good or bad.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ah, yes, another opportunity for the elders to demonstrate what an attractive and welcoming community the RV experience is.

NOT.

No wonder this forum is dying off.

Younger campers are mostly doing the same things I did at their age, sleeping in tents or in the back of my pickup. Expensive RV's don't make sense for most working people.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plenty of campers out there; look at how hard it is to book sites! It seems that the RV industry will continue to fluctuate, just as it always has. The industry constantly tries to pull in more folks with new amenities; they always have. I want George Jetsons's push button instant camper![emoticon]

2001 RoadTrek 190

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 05:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

Kids nowadays want to sit in front of a monitor, or hold their Iphone up next to their eyes and block out any sense of reality around them.

I asked my 13 YO grandson if he wanted to see the Grand Canyon and other sites in the western USA. He said why? I can go on Google Earth and it's just like being there....
I took him anyway and he loved it.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/19 06:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't agree with the premise of the article at all. Modern features like USB ports and WiFi boosters?? 30 years ago they were putting modern features like microwaves and TV jacks in campers to cater to baby-boomers. I'm not sure how keeping up with modern technologies automatically equates to an RV industry trying to appeal to a new breed of camper. It's just changing times.

But quite the contrary to the spirit of the article and some of the comments on here, I find that many folks in their 20's and 30's (so called millienials) are quite a bit more adventurous and outgoing than their older counterparts. They're buying pop-ups and small campers with fewer amenities while the older generation is buying 40' fifth wheels with 4 slides and all the comforts of home. We see younger folks getting out and exploring, hiking, and pitching tents in remote wildernesses while the older generation spends most of their time sitting in their luxury camper watching TV. Can't tell you how many "older" people I've come across in campgrounds that spend all day sitting in their rig.

Anytime topics like this come up, some of the more experienced RV'ers act like they're macho and seek the wild outdoors camping way away from civilization while chopping all their firewood by hand and doing all their cooking with cast iron pots hung over a fire...but the vast majority are actually pulling up in expensive rigs, trying to find 50A sites and griping because they can't find a good signal with their satellite.

Old people watch their entertainment on a TV and youngins watch it on a tablet or phone? What's the difference??

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We didn't go to the Denver RV show this year, but if you do get a chance it is a lot of fun. I have seen a lot of those small campers up in the mountains they do have some cool features. I believe the young people still enjoy camping, its just finding the time to do it.

richy2

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/19 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with WTP-GC .Well said

2Rad4U

I'm to young to be a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

while the older generation is buying 40' fifth wheels with 4 slides and all the comforts of home.

While at the same time calling millennials "soft"

LOL

Chris
2019 Rockwood 2608BS
2018 Chevy 2500HD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Millennials and RVs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS