RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Trip to Northeast states

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trip to Northeast states

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I recall was people warning us our F-150 (5.4L) pulling a smallish TT (Trailmanor) would have a tough time with the 'mountains' in NH and VT. We did see some hills but missed the 'mountains'. F-150 didn't even notice them.

If trailer/truck match properly there SHOULD be no issue. The "hills" up north are indeed mountains, just not the same as you'd see in say WY or MT. What catches some people off guard here is we have many roads with long, somewhat steep grades that don't appear obvious.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

Back Roads work - Upstate NY is Beautiful as are N.H. and Vermont - Fall is to Die for - watch for a Surprise of low Overpasses and Thruways (Old Toll Roads that have low overpasses and can provide an issue)

I think you mean to look out for "parkways", not "thruways." Parkways in New York and Connecticut (and maybe a few other states) are nearly all limited to autos only (though signed as "non-commercial vehicles only," which is not quite right) and often have quite low clearances. The New York Thruway is a not super old toll road that does not have low clearances and is ideal for travel by an RV and a driver who happens to have excess money.

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Swartswood State Park...in north western NJ not on your list, but near the Pennsylvania border, and good for a stop over on the way to Ny

1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

All I could afford

North jersey

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also Vermont Lake Dunmore Kampersville. Dog friendly and plenty of adult activities like bingo and adult social events

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

Busskipper wrote:

Back Roads work - Upstate NY is Beautiful as are N.H. and Vermont - Fall is to Die for - watch for a Surprise of low Overpasses and Thruways (Old Toll Roads that have low overpasses and can provide an issue)

I think you mean to look out for "parkways", not "thruways." Parkways in New York and Connecticut (and maybe a few other states) are nearly all limited to autos only (though signed as "non-commercial vehicles only," which is not quite right) and often have quite low clearances. The New York Thruway is a not super old toll road that does not have low clearances and is ideal for travel by an RV and a driver who happens to have excess money.

Thanks for the correction, I had a Brain F*rt on that one, just couldn't find Parkways in the Memory bank [emoticon]

[image] -- [image] -- [image]

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To avoid the NYS T-way, alternate routes are 104, 5, 20, 17/86, 88

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 05:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Busskipper wrote:

DrewE wrote:

Busskipper wrote:

Thanks for the correction, I had a Brain F*rt on that one, just couldn't find Parkways in the Memory bank [emoticon]

[image] -- [image] -- [image]

The Wilbur Cross Parkway in CT (state rd 15) is autos only. The Highway and most importantly, the unique architecture of the overpass bridges were built during the depression which was part of FDR's public works programs.

Mike

* This post was edited 01/14/19 06:49pm by mdcamping *

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will be repeating probably what most others have mentioned.

In MD assateague state park is a must stop, even better if you can get a site in the sought after electric loop. Book now, who knows you might get lucky.

In NY, Letchworth State Park and Watkins Glen state parks were rated the top 10 in the USA. This said we enjoyed Watkins Glen better as Lots to do around scenic Seneca lake besides Watkins Glen Gorge. Cooperstown if your a baseball fan is a must. Lake George area, maybe take a day trip to Ausible Chasm.

NH, Licoln/Woodstock area is a great home base and centrally located to exploring all of the White Mountain Attractions

RI, Fisherman's Memorial Campground in Narragansett is another great homebase for exploring Newport RI & Mystic Seaport CT. Take the ferry down the street and visit scenic Block Island or enjoy the local beaches.

MA, Cape Cod is a must visit. I would strongly suggest booking just after Labor Day as traffic is just awful. Alantic Oaks Campground is at the halfway point up the cape and gets very good reviews. Watch out for the sharks while swimming! (I'm not Kidding as they have had problems)

ME. Acadia NP

VT, Our personal Favorite is Winhall Brook in South Londonderry, lots of country charm at the campground and in the area. Also suggest the Lake Champlain Area in VT, Champlain Adult Campground

Hope this helps! [emoticon]
Mike

Debbie

Altus,OK

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/19 04:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone! Looks like I have lots of studying and planning to do. Lots of helpful hints. Deb

I wanna go where I haven't been, but still wanna see what I've seen again!

WallynDiane

Greensburg,Pa USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pa.
Flight 93 Just off of Route 30
Gettysburg most monuments on any battlefield
Hershey
Philly (Independence HallLiberty Bell etc

Western Ny
Chautauqua Lake and Chautauqua Institution
Jamestown Ny -everything Lucille Ball museums/festivals/gravesite

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Trip to Northeast states
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS