|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Absolutely no power

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BBB66 wrote:

Gotcha...yes that kill switch is on. Weird that the emergency start from the house batteries does not work either.

i've seen switches where the power is off when ON is pressed and vice-versa. try pressing it and see if the power comes back. if it doesn't press it again and see.

'73,
rich, n9dko
If Jimmy cracks corn and nobody cares then why does he keep doing it?
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

GGoodsell

Lincoln, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/19 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a similar problem on my 2018 Thor Chateau C class. Had TWO batteries go dead on a recent trip through the Northwest. Could not take time to mess with charging so wound up replacing chassis battery twice. Obviously a parasitic drain but can't figure where. Have found that turning off the main house battery disconnect switch (next to the entry step) seems to work. I only turn on that switch when I need 12 volt power or are actually driving the coach. When parked and hooked up to shore power I turn the switch off, everything still works in the coach. Coach going in for warranty work next month, finding this problem is at the top of the list. Did call a Ford rep and he mentioned that a "transfer switch" in the engine compartment might not be working properly, hard to accept on a brand new unit.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 03:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BBB66 wrote:

Thanks, they are all tight and clean as a whistle...I guess I will start pulling fuses?

Did you remove the terminals and clean them, not just look to see if they are corrosion free?
If I get a little corrosion on the terminals on our 96 Southwind chassis battery, even if I can't see it, I have the same symptoms as a dead battery.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Most chassis batteries are not charged from the shore power. I am guessing that the parasitic loads have killed you battery. Put a battery charger on it, let it charge overnight and try it again in the morning.
Emergency start may start the rig.
Get a trickle charger for the chassis battery.

X2

ggoguen

Zephyrhills Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem with a 2013 Thor Daybreak. Chassis battery not charging on shore power, and house batteries not charging from veh alternator. In my BCC the charge/start relay was wired wrong.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My first Class A was a 2012 and it had disconnects for the chassis and house batts and shore power and alternator both charged both banks. My second class A from the same manufacturer was a 2013 and it did not have a chassis disconnect nor did shore power charge the chassis batts. So it really depends on the RV how each model is set up. Sounds like either you have a chassis battery disconnect and it's off or Shore power does not charge your chassis batts. Your manufacturer should be able to tell you - call them.

BBB66

Ft Bliss Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THOR is not the most customer focused company out there. I have a couple inquiries in with them. no response yet.
Thanks for the tips guys! Will send an update soon!!

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, in the "for what it's worth" department, starting a gas engine and bringing up to temp without actually driving it can actually cause more issues than it solves. You'll end up with condensation in parts of the engine and exhaust that you don't want. The engine is better left off until you are going to drive it. That is not true however for the generator. The genset should be exercised monthly under a load for an hour or more. Make sure you disconnect shore power first before doing this. Although most transfer switches can be trusted to convert power from shore to genset without issue, for the 30 seconds it takes to unplug why risk frying your electrical system.

As far as the battery, once you find out why it's not charging or disconnecting, you should get your battery bench tested to see if it's shot. Batteries don't like to be discharged less than 30% and won't really recover fully again.

Once I figured out how the system worked on our second MH, I hooked the chassis battery to a trickle charger once a week overnight to keep it topped off if my trips were less than a few weeks apart. Phantom draws without recharging will kill it.

* This post was edited 01/14/19 11:11am by way2roll *

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/19 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the Trik-L-Start will keep the chasis battery charged while plugged into shore power or while the genny is running...anytime the charging system for the coach batteries is active. we’ve used one for several years now.

* This post was edited 01/14/19 01:43pm by rk911 *

Brian in Michigan

S.E. Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/19 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without a voltage check on the batteries you have no idea where to go. There must be a starting point.

1990 GEORGIE BOY 28' 454 4BBL, TURBO 400 TRANS,
CAMPING: WHERE YOU SPEND A SMALL FORTUNE TO LIVE LIKE A HOMELESS PERSON.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Absolutely no power
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS