RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Where’s Mex?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Where’s Mex?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering the nature of online forums, I think they're trying to keep the man's personal business personal. I would imagine if you PM some of the posters that have written they have been in touch, they would give you what news they figure he wouldn't mind sharing. JMO of course.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is not indigent or homeless
But his home is much further south, deeper in Mexico and on the coast
He has frequently mentioned Quick Silver, his converted bus, and his son in law the restaurant open air on the beach, and his SIL fishing, and the freezers used to keep the catch frozen

While staying near the U.S. Border , he residing in Mexico for the lower rent, and crossing the border for U.S. medical treatment, this does put an additional strain on his meager social security retirement

If I had to guess, I would say a power fluctuations caught him unaware and fried the pc and phone

Since that was the stated reason for being out of contract, and his back doesn't do well sitting in the hard seats at the internet cafe

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gee I missed this thread somehow, just found it now. I've been wondering about Mex myself.

It shocks me that his S4 caught fire! That was my phone, I bought it new. I gave it to him and mailed it down to his US mailing address. He got the phone and it was working perfect. I wonder what happened.

Don, if you have a phone to send him, I have his address. I have an old laptop too. Not the best but it works ok. Even have a spare battery. I'd have to clean up the hard drive, format and reinstall the OS etc.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

Admin

Channel Islands Harbor, Ca.

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please be careful when discussing donations in open forums.

Forum Rules:
Quote:
Solicitations by private/public agencies, or individuals for any cause are also not allowed.
EndQuote:

Thanks
Admin
RV.net

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I heard from Mex today, he lost names and passwords evidently when the laptop went south. He is tired and yet sounds like himself. He had a five hour exam by the neurologists and is very tired, he has has a couple of operations to have done somewhere down the line.

He is using a drill motor that was donated to replace his old one, rather his Mexico family is using it for him and he will soon have heat in is rental house now that they have the holes through the concrete walls. The temps have been to low for him to do bench work but he is looking forward to it. He is a Mad Scientist you know.[emoticon]

It was great to hear from him.

* This post was edited 02/12/19 10:51pm by D.E.Bishop *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

westend

Shorewood, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 12:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I heard from Mex today, he lost names and passwords evidently when the laptop went south. He is tired and yet sounds like himself. He had a five hour exam by the neurologists and is very tired, he has has a couple of operations to have done somewhere down the line.

He is using a drill motor that was donated to replace his old one, rather his Mexico family is using it for him and he will soon have heat in is rental house now that they have the holes through the concrete walls. The temps have been to low for him to do bench work but he is looking forward to it. He is a Mad Scientist you know.[emoticon]

It was great to hear from him.
Just don't tell me he has started wearing a paisley tie, that would be too much to bear...[emoticon]

I hope someone can get him fitted up with a laptop. I have a few laying around but are old and cranky, some needing a hard drive or power supply work. It wouldn't be a fitting solution for Mex.

Hope old Mex can sort out the health issues and get back on the Forum. His insights into 12V systems is a treasure. Wishing for a speedy recovery.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

prairie camper

West St.Paul, MB, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad to hear he is as well as can be. [emoticon]

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to ADMINiSTRATOR for being reasonable.
My thoughts are with you MEX, and thanks for all the help.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

D.E.Bishop wrote:

I heard from Mex today, he lost names and passwords evidently when the laptop went south.

I wonder if it was the hard drive that died or the laptop itself, such as motherboard or something.

If the latter, the hard drive data can be pulled off easily. I have a hard drive docking station that I just plug the drive into and read it. From there you just move stuff off to wherever you want it, USB stick or whatever.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have an old laptop kicking around. Got to thinking, it was running hot and shutting down. Kinda forgot about that til now.
But I'm still willing to give it to him if he doesn't come up with one.

Glad you heard from him. My only connection was via PM here.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/28/19 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mex is not well and so the trip to pick up the phone has been delayed. I hope he gets better soon.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Where’s Mex?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS