RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Ok to leave the black water tank 1/2 full while in storage?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ok to leave the black water tank 1/2 full while in storage?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/19 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Friend you need to dump. Solids will become more so and really really hard to get out. So many reasons why

This is 100% incorrect, solids tend to break down the longer they sit in liquid, I have let mine sit for a month in the summer to help clean out. I actually added Rid-X to the contents, and some extra water. The secret is to make sure it is a least 1/2 if not 3/4 full.
When I did this I drained one quick flush with flusher, or bucket of water down the toilet, and my Black Tank sensor worked great!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Atlee wrote:

To the OP

No. Never leave it for that long. As mentioned, it will dry out, become a hard mess and you'll have a dickens of a time trying to get that stuff out.

valhalla360 wrote:

Lots of paranoia here:.

No $h1t........ LOL.

I bought my C from the estate of a guy my father knew. It was parked in the driveway of his house, just south of Tampa. He had been sick and bed-ridden for most of a year before he passed. He had fallen ill while away in the C and drove it (for the last time) home and parked it. When I picked it up it still had all his dry & canned foods in it, kitchen supplies, etc, etc. The only things that had been taken out of it (everybody thought he’d be back on the mend in no time) were perishables and his dirty laundry, even his clean clothes were still in it.

When I checked it over before heading home I discovered the black tank was still 3/4 full ...... after almost a YEAR.

I the dumped the black, grey and water (after about an hours drive) at Lazy Days in Seffner, just east of Tampa.

The black tank was as clean as clean could be.

The sky is NOT falling............

Oasisbob wrote:

Friend you need to dump. Solids will become more so and really really hard to get out. So many reasons why

This is 100% incorrect, solids tend to break down the longer they sit in liquid, I have let mine sit for a month in the summer to help clean out. I actually added Rid-X to the contents, and some extra water. The secret is to make sure it is a least 1/2 if not 3/4 full.
When I did this I drained one quick flush with flusher, or bucket of water down the toilet, and my Black Tank sensor worked great!

I REPEAT The sky is NOT falling............

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/19 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 100 gallon black tank and left it for months at a time! When I had to pull the tank to repair something else the walls of the tank were clean.

All the products for black tank are garbage, a waste of money or bad for the environment and septic systems. Some states are exploring banning it. A properly functioning system does not stink! Unless you go up on the roof and stick your nose in a vent.

http://www.trailerlife.com/uncategorized/new-law-would-ban-use-of-holding-tank-chemicals/

http://www.eplerwood.com/beta/images/Tomasso%20Grad%20Project_RV%20park%20sustainability_2010_XII.pdf

Bit of a disclaimer on this, If your product has dried or congealed, you will not be able to dump it right away, will need to get some water in there to rehydrate it. This can be done by simply using the tank and using extra water when flushing, so leaving more than 1/2 a tank might not be a good idea.

Don't take my word for this take some dried out doggy do and toss it in water to see what happens!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ok to leave the black water tank 1/2 full while in storage?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.