|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rv show likes and dislikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Daughter and I went to the Rv show in Grand Rapids last night to check things out. Four hours of wall to wall people and countless Rv's was enough as everything becomes a blur after awhile. So anyway here are some of my totally random thoughts I came away with.

Class B vans. I love the idea of these things. You can park just about anywhere where there is a campsite, urban camping, etc. I remember going thru a few last year at the show but I took a closer look this year. They are much smaller in person than what it appears on YouTube videos. I am 6'4" and 220# and it is literally impossible for me to use the shower in these things. I stood in one and shut the door, it isn't happening. If I were single and wanted a van I would build my own and simplify it plus they are ridiculously expensive. The size and $$ pretty much eliminated any dream of owning one.

Slide outs. I noticed on some of the high end diesel pushers they have excellent slide out construction. The outer fascia/trim is one with the slide, in other words it appears to be built as one piece with no joints just all fiberglass. That may have not made sense but those that have them probably know what I mean. Wish they were all made that way.

Indiana construction pretty much all the same. High end, low end, so called good ones and the bad ones are all junk pretty much. Lippert I feel has way too much going on here. The "higher end" ones just have more expensive stuff but workmanship is the same I feel.

I wish there were some true full time rated manufacturers there and maybe there were some, I just not sure which ones are rated full time. All the units we looked at were pretty much made in Indiana, wish I could have seen Arctic Fox for example. I won't bash manufactures by name as I don't want to offend anybody but one really popular and fairly new manufacture that has become a rock star among buyers, I cannot figure out what the hype is. The construction methods and workmanship I didn't feel was any better than others in their category, it was in one of their high end line of 5ers that had the spongiest floor. I haven't figured out that one yet or drank the koolaid either. Another long time and well respected manufactures high end line of 5ers that looked impressive at first glance was sloppily built. I know that these two manufactures were recently sold so between that and building at a frantic pace to keep up with demand isn't helping matters. I always cringe when I see smaller manufacturers being sold out as more often than not it does not end well. Anyway, the Indiana way of building sucks. If I had to pick a favorite that I seen yesterday it would have been the Cedar Creek followed by Montana

Not a fan of the two door bathrooms in fifth wheels. That's always a deal killer for us, such a inefficient use of space. Why do we need a separate door into the bathroom from the bedroom just to save 1 step? I'm not saying all are this way but i'm talking about the ones that leave you with a small corner shower and a poor placement of the tv in the bedroom because of the bed/bath door. It's a popular design among manufactures. Thats one of the reasons we ended up with what we have, a real shower with a true pocket door into the bath from the hall.

So there you have it, a snippet of my $.02 and ramblings of my likes and dislikes at the show this year.[emoticon]

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

ChuckV1

Rochester WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy

I have to agree on allot of what you say, a few years back when we bought our 5th wheel we looked at many high an low end units at a RV show here in the Northwest, construction across the board wasn't the greatest in most ...

What really made me wonder is that I saw trim out of place, lights not working, doors ajar an it made me wonder if the salesman or even the dealers even cared about the units they were showing ... When ask about the trim or lights the salesman would say that id we were to buy the unit they would fix any an all problems ... My comment back to them was if I want to buy a trailer I don't want to see any problems from the get go, the one salesman said "well you know there's been allot of people walking though this trailer" ... My comment back to him was "if your trailer can't stand a number of people walking thought it how is it going to hold up to someone using it for a year or two" ... he walked away, I wonder why ...

On the two doors to the bathroom we have such, we have tons of room an I like that one door can be closed an the bathroom still be used an you do not have to walk out into the hallway after using the shower which is large ...

Of course we all have different likes an dislikes an that's why they make so many different brands... I also agree on the big guys buying up the little guys, our 5th MFG was bought up a few years back buy the same MFG that makes Montana an now Air Stream ... I have not seen much of a change so far other than Management seem to change over the last few years an come over from other other trailer lines an MFG within the overall company an then leave a year latter ...

I also know that these companies in order to stay in business have to make a buck an thus are staring to buy a build with cheaper material more an more an rise the price point ... What our 5th wheel cost two years ago is now two to three thousand dollars more than what the MSRP was an I have to say not much has changed except they have moved stuff around, put windows were they shouldn't be but have learned to up grade the tires from E rated to G rated because of weight of the trailer ...

Safe Travels

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last time we went to the Hershey rV show I was surprised at the poor workmanship the manufacturers and dealers sent to the show.
The Hershey rV show is one of the biggest in the country. You would think the rigs they send would be flawless,. Nope.
The high pressure sales tactics were another turn off. One dealer wanted a deposit, then they would schedule a test drive.
We were just there to look. Even if we were buying, it wouldn't be from a high pressure salesman/dealer.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/19 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm always amazed at the prices they ask for the class B vans, just crazy. For something I'd be able maybe to put up for one night in. Certainly not any extended time. But as anything else there's a market for certain people.

Many of the high end diesel pusher use the same materials, even across lower to higher product offerings with the same mfg. More horsepower ( Motorhomes), accessories and bling drive it up from there.

I believe it's Tiffin who's slides I've seen which are molded one piece design.

The Novi MI show is in a few weeks. We plan to go even though we purchased a motorhome last summer. I like looking at the retro trailers and Motorhomes.

We had a number of fifth wheels over the years. One thing that made me turn and exit them in the shows was the spongy floor you mentioned. I was surprised how many we experience that had them.

https://www.gmcconversionvans.com/classb/airstream-interstate/

MURPHY55347

Savage, MINNESOTA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/19 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are lucky. We are on our 4th RV in 10 years so I don't get to go to the shows anymore!

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

Class B vans. I love the idea of these things. You can park just about anywhere where there is a campsite, urban camping, etc. I remember going thru a few last year at the show but I took a closer look this year. They are much smaller in person than what it appears on YouTube videos. I am 6'4" and 220# and it is literally impossible for me to use the shower in these things. I stood in one and shut the door, it isn't happening. If I were single and wanted a van I would build my own and simplify it plus they are ridiculously expensive. The size and $$ pretty much eliminated any dream of owning one.
Dan

Yeah our 20' hybrid has a small enough bathroom, the Class B's we've seen at the Rv shows don't even have a TUB, combine that with your paying around 100K and for that you may need to unhook to go buy a loaf of bread...not for us at least.

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it's 'Lippert' it has to be junk and I have to agree, anything that comes out of the Hoosier, high end or low end is the same.

Why I bought low end. I figured why should I pay a high dollar for Hoosier junk. besides, I'm handy with fixing the 'Amish' mistakes and believe me, there are plenty to fix on mine.

I can tell stories (true) about Amish 'craftsmanship' but I'd probably get my comments deleted, so I won't.

Suffice to say, junk is junk.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally, I refrain from going to RV shows because they stiff you on parking and then they stiff you to get in the door and then they stiff you again for a watered down Coke and a soggy pretzel. Not my thing.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you noticed that none of the Class B's have power seats? 6 figures and no power seats.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

welove2drive

Southwestern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The St. Louis RV show is Jan. 31 - Feb. 3. We are looking forward to going. I like to see the new ideas. It is interesting to see how many you cannot access the refrigerator or bathroom with the slide in. It is crazy that the small trailers/Rv's are so expensive! I doubt that we would ever buy a new trailer we just have fun looking and taking notes for future reference.
-Marcia

Dave and Marcia
02 Ford F350SD 4X4 SRW Longbed, 7.3PSD Auto
07 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Rv show likes and dislikes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.