|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic RM2652 not cooling

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
Travelin2

SW Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2002 Bigfoot trailer recently and I knew the fridge may be questionable because the rig sat for a long time without any operation of the appliances. The fridge cools a bit when running on 120AC but when on gas it does nothing. The gas burner lights and runs very nicely with a clean blue flame. It relights immediately when I blow it out and the flue is hot with lots of heat escaping out the top of the tube with the baffle in it. I unplugged the thermistor at the circuit board and ran it on gas for about 3 hours. At the end of that time the coils and the big canister at the bottom of the coils was just ambient temperature. I have wireless temp sensors inside the freezer and fridge and no temperature change whatsoever...still ambient temp. I'm not sure why it cooled some while on the electric heater???

I am thinking the cooling unit is Tits Up. I would be interested to hear what you may think. I appreciate any and all views and opinions...thanks.

John

John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2002 Bigfoot 25B21RB
2012 Avalanche Black Diamond LTZ 4x4

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cooling unit is the same on gas and electric, so if it works on one it works on the other. Only difference is the heat source.

You could have a dirty flue or partially clogged orifice. Could also be a regulator issue. Hard to judge a good or bad flame visually. There is a bit of a roar to a good flame that is missing if the pressure is low.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your fridge is past due. Look around the rear at the bottom near the cooling coils for the unfortunate yellow residue left by leaking refrigerant. If you see it, you are done. Time for a new cooling section at the least.

Chum lee

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you do know that it takes at least 12hours for the frig to cool down? also theres companies that rebuild them.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the cooling unit is failing,but the cabinet is in good shape replacing the cooling unit is a great way to get it working again.

This is where I have gotten two cooling units and both work great.

RV Cooling Unit Warehouse

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 313K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Travelin2

SW Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the thoughts fellas. I do know this fridge is old so if it is time it's time. The box is in good shape all except the plastic liner on the inside is yellowed due to age. Doesn't affect it's performance though. I do know it takes a day to get cooled down well but after 3 hrs I figured I should be feeling a little warming of the coils. I will leave it on tonite and see if it has a change of heart by tomorrow.

Russ, thanks for that link.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bottom where the tank is will never get very warm, it's simply a container for the fluid inside. The heat will be at the top in the finned section, where the heat transfer takes place.

if it's really shot, get a compressor fridge like a Dometic drop in. Same price as the replacement cooling unit and much, much more efficient. Your 12 hour cool down will drop to 2 hours.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

you do know that it takes at least 12hours for the frig to cool down?

Disagree completely. Any 6 cu ft DSI fridge I've owned, whether Norcold or Dometic, has easily cooled sufficiently in 4 hrs so I can then load food into it. Smaller, manual light 2 cu ft fridges usually installed in popups do take longer but no way a 6 cu ft DSI fridge would take 12 hrs unless it has a problem.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS * 2003 Fleetwood Yuma
2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX * 2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH
2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe * 1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unplug the thermistor
Turn Fridge ON using Electric and let it RUN at least 12 Hrs to really determine IF you have cooling issues

Freezer has to get down to 10*F BEFORE Food compartment can effectively cool down

After 4 hrs of operation with thermistor unplugged you should feel coldness on backwall of freezer and the far right fins in food compartment.
But need HOURS of continuous operation to really make a judgment

Age is NOT a real factor as there are no moving parts.
Time operated 'off level' is the real killer

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travelin2 wrote:

We bought a 2002 Bigfoot trailer recently and I knew the fridge may be questionable because the rig sat for a long time without any operation of the appliances. The fridge cools a bit when running on 120AC but when on gas it does nothing. The gas burner lights and runs very nicely with a clean blue flame. It relights immediately when I blow it out and the flue is hot with lots of heat escaping out the top of the tube with the baffle in it. I unplugged the thermistor at the circuit board and ran it on gas for about 3 hours. At the end of that time the coils and the big canister at the bottom of the coils was just ambient temperature. I have wireless temp sensors inside the freezer and fridge and no temperature change whatsoever...still ambient temp. I'm not sure why it cooled some while on the electric heater???

I am thinking the cooling unit is Tits Up. I would be interested to hear what you may think. I appreciate any and all views and opinions...thanks.

John

I have a 2000 Bigfoot, what model is yours?
Mine died in 2014, bought a cooling unit (new Amish) from cooling unit warehouse and installed myself. Runs great now, even in 115 degrees.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Dometic RM2652 not cooling
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS