|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> A drone while camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are out in the boonies, a drone is a great way to fetch a six-pack! Providing the source is within radio range(about 2 mile max) and only one can at a time with a two hour or more recharge between cans. Just call FEDX, and they will have it sent out to you! Or, I can airdrop you a whole six-pack from my telemaster! But you gotta catch it!

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and a grouchy, old, tiny dog

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most are registered with FAA with a government aircraft number. Shooting at one or shooting it down is a Federal Felony. 18 U.S.C. 32. While there has not been a reported prosecution, I would not try it. I love mine but it is a NO, NO to fly in Florida and Georgia State Parks along with most Federal controlled land.

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you partial to blowing one out of the sky:

The FAA considers unmanned aircraft of any size to be covered under Title 18 of the United States Code 32, which describes “sabotage to include destruction of any aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States.” Violation of this code carries a maximum prison sentence of 20 years. In other words, it’s illegal to shoot down any aircraft in the U.S., including a drone, according to federal law. And lest you decide that simply jamming or intercepting control of the offending drone might be more your style, know that the FCC considers any form of “jamming” or otherwise interfering with radio transmission to be a violation of the Communications Act of 1934. Between these two federal laws, most anti-drone technology on the market (including net guns and jamming guns) could put you into some legal hot water.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I could hover over your campsite would you find that annoying?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Properly sized, equipped, and expertly flown drones are becoming more and more useful and valuable every day, in many ways. Search and rescue, research into remote and inaccessable areas, and delivery of desperately needed resources quickly to impossible situations. But as is usual, irresponsible flights by stupid self-centered pilots necessitates rigid rules to protect the lives and rights of others. Such as the lives of commercial airline passengers around airports.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the scary part... 18 years old?? Common sense?? Kids killing in schools?? and this was two years ago, and a very primitive piece of equipment. Is this actually possible today?? You better believe it!!!

gun-firing drone.

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

Most are registered with FAA with a government aircraft number. Shooting at one or shooting it down is a Federal Felony. 18 U.S.C. 32. While there has not been a reported prosecution, I would not try it. I love mine but it is a NO, NO to fly in Florida and Georgia State Parks along with most Federal controlled land.
Actually, there have been prosecutions, 23 according to THIS SOURCE.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The people that think they are spying on their campsites really don't understand them, and have definitely never used one.

As has been said, after about 50 yards away, they can tell what kind of camper you have. Most likely.

They do an excellent job at landscapes, with their wide angle lense. I like them as an amateur photographer, since they can add a great perspective to where you happen to be camped.

The noise from them is extremely annoying though. I do not like that at all. So, I usually don't fly my cheap crappy one when anyone else is outside.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Drones aren't challenging so I fly a quad-copter. They're very different beasts.

fly-swatter

Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I see one hovering over my campsite I'm firing away with my slingshot. I can't tell if it's a high end unit scoping out the site or some kid playing around.

2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> A drone while camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS