|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> A drone while camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here. Sorry to open such a can of worms!
But first off to those concerned that I would NOT be "taking videos of fellow campers". I want to get away from people! You have no concept of the purpose I said I wanted a drone for. I want to view the surrounding areas to find out if I want to explore more on foot, canoe or by vehicle. My intent is NOT to buzz the campgrounds, peer into windows nor lurk over head of anyone. I am interested the surrounding area.
To all the positive replies, I thank you. Gained a lot of useful info. But for now I'll have to wait and see.

thanks again to all those with a positive input.

Our Phoenix Cruiser 2100, "Bob", has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fly-swatter wrote:

If I see one hovering over my campsite I'm firing away with my slingshot. I can't tell if it's a high end unit scoping out the site or some kid playing around.

Are you prepared to pay the medical bills for the kid you hit 1/4 mile away when your shot comes down? Or more likely the window you break on the RV across the campground?

In my case, I've just recently purchased a relatively inexpensive unit - I'm still awaiting delivery. What am I going to do with it? Well, it will come in handy to inspect the solar panels on the roof of my house - I'd rather not climb up there to do it! I'll use it to inspect the roof of my RV when needed. I'll use it for landscape photography where it's legal. Many uses for any technology.

I laugh at those who worry about privacy: the exact same argument was heard years ago when cameras were first built into cell phones, and look at us now! Do you grab every cell phone that some stranger is holding up while they walk past you on the street? As for something flying over your location - do you worry about all those general aviation planes that constantly fly over? Chances are they are carrying a passenger with a whole lot better camera equipment than any hobby drone is carrying...

* This post was edited 01/26/19 05:04pm by Alan_Hepburn *

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some beautiful pictures
And the only thing discernable about campgrounds, was the layout of the campsites and some people has big tt/5v with multiple slides
Could not tell brand or color or see people

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

Some beautiful pictures
And the only thing discernable about campgrounds, was the layout of the campsites and some people has big tt/5v with multiple slides
Could not tell brand or color or see people
But, those are the photos he chose to exhibit. The problem could arise with ones that are not shown publicly. Just because they aren't shown online doesn't mean there aren't some that shouldn't have been taken in the first place. People should have the right to privacy. And as has been mentioned if the drones are high enough you don't know they are there, which again does not negate a person's right to privacy. I, personally, don't really care that much, but I can certainly understand the issue.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With photography and "right to privacy", the general rule is if you are viewable by others who are not tresspassing on private property or having to go to unreasonable lengths, then you cannot expect privacy.

If you are outside of your RV in a campsite with a road running 5ft away and no fencing or foliage blocking the view from the road, then you have no expectation of privacy. Anyone can legally stand in the road and take photos of you sitting by your campfire. They can't legally takes photos of you through the windows of your RV if you are inside. They can legally take photos of you washing your car in your driveway if they can do so from the sidewalk/road. They cannot take photos of you sunbathing in your backyard by shooting through a knothole in the fence or climbing a tree.

Even if the above photos showed detail, as long as they are not taking photos of people who are in buildings/RVs or behind fences, there is nothing illegal about it.

Your "right to privacy" only exists if you are actually in a place that has a reasonable expectation of privacy.

And, as long as the person is unidentifiable in the photo, there is nothing that says the photographer cannot profit from said photo - identifiable means that someone can look at the photo and identify you without any background information (not "I was in that campground on the day he shot the photo and if you look closely you can see my necklace"). If the person is identifiable, the photographer can take the photos but cannot profit from them - that includes entering them in contests - without a written consent from the person in the photograph.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some folks equate the desire to be alone to a "right" to privacy.

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Double post.

* This post was edited 01/27/19 02:00pm by ralphnjoann *

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 11:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ralphnjoann wrote:

Some folks equate the desire to be alone to a "right" to privacy.

Yep. Hence my post. No one has a "right to privacy" in a public space. Anyone in public can be legally photographed - unless there is a specific restriction against photography at that particular location.

And with my camera and lenses, I can get a much more detailed photo of you in your campsite just by sitting in my own campsite and shooting, than anyone with a drone will get by flying overhead.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Privacy gone crazy would be the HIPAA laws.

ralphnjoann

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another thing many don't understand about drones. They can fly forward and backward and side to side without changing their orientation. So a drone facing forward and traveling backward could appear to be filming you when actually it's backing up for a wider view with the forward facing camera.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> A drone while camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS