|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Looking for a generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am an electrician who has installed a lot of generator hookups for home. You don't need to run everything,just the basics.Usually furnace, refridgerator, water pump if you have one, micro wave ,one receptical circuit and one lighting circuit would be minimum. This will be enough to let you get by comfortably.Generally speaking, you want one in the range of 5,000 watts for your house. For your RV you could get by with 2,000 watts to charge the batteries,run the microwave etc. If yoy want to run the A/C then you would need 3,000 watts.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For the house a 3500 watt Contractors is a good choce for the RV Contractor (open frame) generators are a poor choicwe.. INVERTER generators however are nice. (no need for ear plugs save at max load). HF sells both.

So do Home Depot. Lowes. Mennards Camping world. _________ and more. (fill in the blank with yoru favorite store)

HONDA Inverter generators have a Uniquie feature far as I can tell (may be more populer on larger models) a genuine FUEL PUMP that sucks fuel out of the tank.. So you can get an "Extended run kit" (new gas cap. new tank and hose)(

You use the ER cap on teh Generator (Generatror's original on the ER tank I suspect) and well it will suck both tanks dry... Most Portagles are gravity feed only wont suck from the ER tank

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish I had it to do over. I would have bought the Champion 3500 rather than the little Honda. We just find ouselves needing a bit more power than we have and the Champions have proven themselves.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an older champion 3500. Got it from Tractor Supply.
It will run my house air conditioning IF I shut off almost everything else. I did so during an extremely hot spell a couple of years ago.
Too heavy and too loud for camping. I bought mine for my home. If I ever buy another generator it will be a lighter inverter type for camping. I will not buy anything much over 70# so that will limit me more than desired capacity. Current generator is about 109# IIRC and too heavy for me to move around. Noisy as hell, too [emoticon]

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DownTheAvenue wrote:

badsix wrote:

Champion 3500 about a 100.00 more and remote start. I just cant make myself depend on anything from Horrible Freight.
Jay D.

This is good advice. Service and parts are avialable with a Champion product. You will have great difficulty finding any service center touch a Harbor Freight product.

Have you had some first hand experience with having a Predator generator from Harbor Freight repaired or serviced, or know someone that has tried to have one serviced or repaired.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been using a Yamaha EF2400iS generator since 2006. Not only does it power our travel trailer, but it also powers my critical items in my house during outages.

The key selling point for me was this Yamaha was designed to start & run a 13,500 BTU A/C unit alone. It takes two Honda 2KW generators to do this same job. From all I've read, this is the only generator on the market that fills the niche of a single, small, lightweight, QUIET generator, capable of running an RV A/C unit. You could buy a bigger generator to do the same function, but the noise, weight, and price start going up rapidly. Pay close attention to the rated noise level. Ever 3dB doubles the sound energy. This one is rated at 53-58 dB. The Champion 3500W is rated at 68 dB. To put that in perspective, mine at full load is 58 dB, double the noise (+3dB), would be 61 dB, double it again, 64 dB, again, 67 dB. I have a Champion 7500W generator also, rated at 74 dB. Fine for occasional heavy loads (water heater, pool pump, water pump, etc.), but incredibly noisy compared to the Yamaha. It also guzzles fuel. The Yamaha uses 1.6 gallons in 8 hours. Less than 5 gallons/day.

We've been through multiple hurricanes, and have used it to run a portable A/C (we're in FL), fridge, TV, lights, fan, computer equipment, etc. If we want to run the microwave, we turn the A/C compressor off briefly.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Buy a good one, never look back. Don't find many requests for people wanting to make a Yamaha or Honda generator more quiet. But take a look on Google for people with Champion generators trying to get the noise down. And FWIW, adding a bigger muffler won't do it. That's only one source of the noise. The second being the intake, third being the mechanical movements. There's a reason why the true quiet ones cost so much.

The 3500W Predator is worth consideration, but at $769.00, the price is encroaching on the Yamahas and Hondas. Do a Google/YouTube search of idle/surging issues with them brand new.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check your facts, Champion specs there 3500w remote start inverter gen at 59.0 dba. I just can't see a 2400w gen starting a 3500w A/C. my 3500w gen wouldn't start mine, I had to get a soft start now its ok.
Jay D.

* This post was last edited 01/30/19 10:50am by badsix *   View edit history

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 11:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

Pay close attention to the rated noise level. Ever 3dB doubles the sound energy. This one is rated at 53-58 dB. The Champion 3500W is rated at 68 dB. To put that in perspective, mine at full load is 58 dB, double the noise (+3dB), would be 61 dB, double it again, 64 dB, again, 67 dB. I have a Champion 7500W generator also, rated at 74 dB.

It's worth observing that, while 3 dB is indeed a doubling of power in a physics sense, it doesn't sound twice as loud subjectively; it's only a modest increase in perceived volume. Generally somewhere around 10 dB is accepted as what is subjectively "twice as loud" though it varies with the person, the nature of the noise in question, and probably some other things.

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

badsix wrote:

check your facts, Champion specs there 3500w remote start inverter gen at 59.0 dba. I just can't see a 2400w gen starting a 3500w A/C. my 3500w gen wouldn't start mine, I had to get a soft start now its ok.
Jay D.

My "facts" are from their website: https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/46533-3500-watt-generator/

"Fill up the 3.8-gallon tank of gasoline and enjoy up to 12 hours of power at 50% load. From 23 feet, the noise level is 68 dBA".

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of South Western Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Champion 3500 - 59db

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Looking for a generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS