RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Florida RV parks

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Central Lake RV'er

Central Lake Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are relatively new to RV'ing, although hubby is an almost retired truck driver. Bought a used truck and older 5th wheel, 28 ft., last fall and decided to try out the RV life. Have taken a couple of quick overnight trips to get used to it, that's all the time we've had. Headed for Florida, god willing, on 2-23-19 for a 2 week test trip. We've made reservations at one park, Hickory Point, near Tarpon Springs, for 2 days, but are wondering about parks further south, availability, prices, traffic, all of that. We haven't been to Florida in 15 years. Hoping for lots of advice from folks that are in parks down there...thank you!

PS- I just saw the "Snowbirds" forum...so I apologize for posting this here...but we are only going for two weeks, not the winter, so...but I will re-post over there in case I am in error here.

* This post was edited 01/27/19 12:54pm by Central Lake RV'er *

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope you are aware that this is the middle of the 'snowbird season' for Florida RV parks. Prices are way up and finding a spot will be tough. Especially further south from Tarpon.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Central Lake RV'er

Central Lake Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I know, that's why I'm asking...thank you!

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the worse the winter is up north the more crowded it is here.

Use RESERVEAMERICA.com to search. The state parks are full but private cgs advertise there too.

RVParky app too.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Bea PA

Waynesboro, PA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many parks keep sites open for short term in case you like it and buy or monthly rent, Pricy but try Raintree North Fort Myers

Central Lake RV'er

Central Lake Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you, Raintree is one of the parks I was looking at...!

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't been to FL in 15 years, you might be surprised at the landscape...especially Tarpon Springs and that entire region. Maybe look for some places a little further north?

2017 Chevrolet 2500 Duramax Crew Cab Z71
2014 RAM 3500 DRW 4x4 6.7 Cummins w/ Aisin, Flatbed
2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH w/ B & W Companion (T/O Ball)
Old Rig:
2005 Wildcat 29BHBP w/ Andersen UH (Aluminum, lowered version for flatbed)
SBGTF

bucky

Bunn NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would call Reserve America first. I've always booked on line but you have to call to get in that night. On line first available date is tomorrow night.
If you do go on line to search RA use this kink but leave the top blank empty. It will then search the entire FL state park system for openings. Play with it but I think the map choice will be more helpful for you.click here

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

Central Lake RV'er

Central Lake Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have booked two more places so far...Manatee Lake State Park and Collier Seminole State Park, both for 2 nights each. Both due to sudden cancellations, I'm sure...I just happened to be online cruising the site when the two sites were re-posted...2 more minutes and I'm sure they would have been gone...anyway, thank you to those of you who recommended Reserve America, that's how I got these bookings. We are now down to booking just two more days, sadly, those are both in the middle of our stay, in between other bookings, and on a weekend. So no luck so far, and that includes a LOT of private RV parks. Raintree does have a couple of openings, but at $80 per night I've held off. Husband says truck stop is more attractive...LOL...

I also had the Camp Florida website recommended to me. Lots of parks that are not listed on Reserve America...

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/19 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you familiar with Army Corps of Engineers campgrounds? I don't have experience with any of the ones in Florida, but I've never been disappointed in any of their campgrounds in other states. In Florida there is W. P. Franklin North near Fort Meyers, and St. Lucie South on Lake Okeechobe. There may be others as well. COE campgrounds are a terrific value if you're a senior citizen, because they are half price - generally $15 for a "standard electric" site.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS