RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Weight question.... Jeep GC Trailhawk

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Weight question.... Jeep GC Trailhawk

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
lss177

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking to flat tow an 18 Hemi JGC Trailhawk, curb weight is 5000 lbs or so. Looking at gas Class C's with Chevy 4500 or Ford E450 chassis. Towing limit is usually 5000 pounds on Chevy, 7500 pounds on Ford.

Anyone have toad experience with either Chevy or Ford at the 5k pound number? Is 5k pounds too much for the gas coaches?

Thanks!

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 03:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"does this coach make my towed look fat?"

Weigh the towed loaded for travel, while you're looking for a tow vehicle, and make sure you don't exceed the GCWR of your choice, when everything else is known. Then do the math, using the stated towing capacity of the TV, and including the OCCC and whether you'll need to "borrow" any OCCC to make it work.
You're not going to win any races in a bigger gasser pulling 2.5 tons.

I should have added, I pulled a 4400 lb Wrangler with a 2016 Sunstar with the F53 chassis, 6.8L 3 valve V10, 6 speed tow/haul transmission, without any problems. Hardly felt it back there. The fuel economy actually went up 2 mpg (just kidding, it didn't).

* This post was edited 01/28/19 04:07pm by MDKMDK *

Mike.
2018 Navion 24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ???)
2016 Sunstar 26HE (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would ask about wheelbase length on the MH you decide to buy.
I would think a shorter WB 25ft rv would feel different that a 32ft long WB unit. At 5K you don't want the towed vehicle to push to you in corners.

I flat tow 3k with a 25' and feel I would not like towing 5k with it. I would prefer a larger rv.
I added a rear track bar on the MH to help me from being pushed in turns. I tow with a 2018 Ford v-10 and have felt like I could use a little more power on some steep hills while running back roads . Interstate travel is easier.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flat towing a Wrangler with a 30 footer. I cannot feel any influence from the toad. No pushing in corners, braking system works great and it has no measurable influence on mileage. I still get 8.5 to 9 MPG average, no matter what. I see the toad when I make a turn or click on the camera, a pure dream set-up.

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pull a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with our 2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K (30ft), V10, 6 Speed.

No problems.

We had a good braking system installed and there is no issue with the V10.

We're close to the limit but have room on the GCWR.

No problems.

2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K

Photos

lss177

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 05:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago Bob wrote:

We pull a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee with our 2017 Winnebago Aspect 27K (30ft), V10, 6 Speed.

No problems.

No problems.

Thanks, I'm assuming E450 chassis?

Islandman

NW Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might have difficulty with a longer Class C (say 27 to 30+ft) as the allowable tow weight and the cargo carrying capacity are usually less than a shorter Class C (maybe a 24 ft). But if you watch what you load on the motorhome, it may be okay. We all have tendancy to put too much stuff in our MH's and that's not good when you have that Jeep Trailhawk behind you. Either way, get a good braking system no matter which way you go.

Winnebago Bob

United States

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lss177 wrote:

Winnebago Bob wrote:

No problems.

No problems.

Thanks, I'm assuming E450 chassis?

Yes. I should have specified.

irishtom29

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you come in under both the GCWR of the coach and its hitch receiver capacity you should be OK.

We have a 34 foot Tiffin gasser and considered the Grand Cherokee but while we would’ve been under the GCWR of our coach we would’ve been over the hitch receiver capacity of 5000 pounds. No dice. Same story for the 3.5 turbo AWD Explorer. So we bought a 2WD Explorer which loaded to our needs falls under 5000 pounds.

(We need a vehicle which can carry a pair of recumbent tadpole tricycles.)

rjstractor

Auburn, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Islandman wrote:

You might have difficulty with a longer Class C (say 27 to 30+ft) as the allowable tow weight and the cargo carrying capacity are usually less than a shorter Class C (maybe a 24 ft). But if you watch what you load on the motorhome, it may be okay. We all have tendancy to put too much stuff in our MH's and that's not good when you have that Jeep Trailhawk behind you. Either way, get a good braking system no matter which way you go.

The newer Ford E450 with the V10 has a GCWR of 22,000. So fully loaded you have a 7500 lb towing capacity. The GM GCWR is 20,000, so with either rig will be within factory specs although close to max with the GM.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Weight question.... Jeep GC Trailhawk
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS