RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Sad Development At Cedar Creek!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sad Development At Cedar Creek!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

I've had great service with my Cedar Creek. Front cap was fading and I got an approval from the factory to have it painted in just 3 days. It was also out of warranty by about a year and a half. This was done last fall.

B.O.

A lot of things can change between last fall and this winter. All it takes is a corporate directive from up the ladder to come down, or a new general manager assigned to the division, and there you have it. You can not count on past policies being around when you need something at a later point in time.

The fanboi's over at Forest River forum used to crow and pump their chests about the 2nd year warranty that could be purchased for between $100 and $300. Silence developed when Forest River nixed it with no prior announcement, and the reason claimed was nothing more than total BS. They also used to talk up how great Forest River was by holding the yearly rally in Goshen where they would fix your junk. Just so happens the reins are being tightened on that also.

Fact is you can go to a dealer and line up 4 of the same floorplan Cedar Creeks, or 4 Jaycos, or 4 Grand Designs, 4 Winnebago's even 4 Lances or Artic Foxes, and you'll have 4 of the same floorplan with different levels of build quality/ fit and finish. One can be perfect, the next a lemon. The perfect one may have followed the lemon down the line.

Your in worse shape if you become afflicted with RV forum branditis or itsthegreatestbecauseipurchseditosis.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 05:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That statement is so true, and funny. I buy used so no need to worry about warranty.

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have to wonder if it's because they are overloaded with requests and it became a money drain.
Quality has dropped so more things break.
The older generation grew up being able to fix things so we never bothered taking it in for minor repairs, just fixed it ourselves.
Today it's the throw away generation. Nobody learned how to fix things so they take it all to the dealer or manufacturer.
Eventually it affected the bottom line so they cut back.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read the pin box thread, it even sounds like Northwoods is going downhill as well. They all suck apparently.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

packnrat

soon to be the state of Jefferson U S A

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so sad on all this, they want to keep customers, get new ones. then sell a product that has little to no problems off the lot. then provide 5 years full warranty work.5 years full warranty work.
and NO sitting on the dealers lot for months.

when i retire it would be grand to buy a new unit i could relay on to get me through a good 10+ years.
but the way it looks now i would be better off buying a old trailer for the vin and build a new one my self.

2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went to our local boat/travel show last week. For the past several years my wife has enjoyed looking at the few Cedar Creek models there as she thought she might like one someday. We went in a couple of them and she asked what happened. Her impression was they did not have the quality look and feel of the past models. It was hard for me to tell the difference between them and some on the floor at half the price. In their defense that was just an eye test so they may be great for all I know.

Having needed only one minor slide adjustment on our orphaned Excel in 7 seasons of use it will probably get 7 more, if I'm lucky. We've put over 50K miles on it and had it over some the nastiest roads this country has to offer and so far it has held up well. I did invest in the MorRyde IS a year ago to hopefully help it hold together on the rough stuff.

We love the floorplans on some of the new models but that is only part of the equation. I want something that holds up. It it seems most manufacturers know quality means higher costs for their products which starts limiting their market. I think that is what happened to Excel and few others that tried to produce a decent product. They just could not compete with other manufacturers who could dress up their units and sell them for half the price.

JimT
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM, 2017 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 PS, 4X4 dually

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a twisted thought, maybe it is the fact that workers don't give a chit anymore and expect a paycheck for doing as little work as possible? talk to business owners in a variety of industries and hear the stories about the difficulty finding qualified help that wants to work.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

Here's a twisted thought, maybe it is the fact that workers don't give a chit anymore and expect a paycheck for doing as little work as possible? talk to business owners in a variety of industries and hear the stories about the difficulty finding qualified help that wants to work.

Not at all. Be willing to bet that a goodly percentage of the guys on the floor would =like= to take more time, but since they're paid by the piece, the more they turn out, the more they get paid. I've been saying for the past several years that, IMO, that's the #1 reason for the cr@ppy quality that we see. Mgt says build X units today and, when you're done, go home. So, X units get built in 6 hours and they go home or, in a lot of cases, maybe a 2nd job. Stupid. I'd still like to see valid numbers on how much each mfr spends on warranty claims and how much they =deny=!

Hell, my family grows citrus in CA and the guys picking are unbelievably fast, but if they start turning in fruit that's not picked correctly, or is damaged, they're gone, and I mean paid off and off the crew on the spot. The packing house, who our crews actually work for, simply can't afford junk fruit wasting space and time.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In order to stay within a price point some things have to be cut out. Remember when Montana had a fiberglass rear cap as standard? Remember when a bag of chips was fuller?
I'm assuming that MFG's are under pressure to keep costs down and with the price of everything increasing it just makes sense to eliminate some finer touches to keep RV's affordable to more buyers.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its not only the RV industry, because when I was a home builder, I would go behind many sub contractors, and fix what they messed up before it got covered up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sad Development At Cedar Creek!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS