RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Northeast Trip Help

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did something similar. As others have suggested, I'd save Canada for another trip. I'd also skip Philly and add DC. Stay at Cherry Hill RV park in Maryland and ride the metro into the city. The bus comes right to the campground. I'd give that three days minimum to see the National Mall museums and maybe a day trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space Annex at the airport.

Acadia is an odd National Park instead of being mostly concentrated in one location it is scattered along the coastline in small chunks. We stayed at the Bar Harbor KOA which was good. You can get lobster delivered to your RV in the evening. Then take a drive up the coast to see the Schoodic Peninsula unit which is where all those spectacular photos are taken of the rocky wave swept shore are made. It is near Winter Harbor which is worth seeing. I'd give Acadia and the surrounds at least 2 to 3 days. Oh they have ferry boats tour out to the islands there, I don't know what the whale situation is tho. We drove up the coast almost to Canada as a daytrip to see the coastal villages.

Exactly what he said!! But we didn't stay at the KOA, but he's spot on. Sorry, iI don't know how to copy and paste the quotes w/ author's name.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

We did something similar. As others have suggested, I'd save Canada for another trip. I'd also skip Philly and add DC. Stay at Cherry Hill RV park in Maryland and ride the metro into the city. The bus comes right to the campground. I'd give that three days minimum to see the National Mall museums and maybe a day trip to the Smithsonian Air and Space Annex at the airport.

One thing, DC and Boston are hotter than Hades in summer. So dress with that in mind and bring water bottles. Wear hats.

Yes and yes!

I was going to suggest that you give up Canada and take the kids to DC instead. Most everything (the mall, museum, statues, memorials and National Zoo) are free. You have already paid for them with your taxes![emoticon]

Our daughters love to go to DC and we try to take them every couple of years since it's about a 7 hr drive from home. Last time we went, it was our first trip to Arlington National Cemetery. They whined about the fact that we were going to a boring old cemetery. The really enjoyed seeing the changing of the guard and seeing all of the grave markers. We were also in the right place when they were conducting a burial and it was awe inspiring. They want to go back.

The zoo can take at least a whole day, the Air and Space Museum can also take a whole day, but you can do a highlights tour in 2-3 hours. The American History Museum is a 3-4 hr do and the Natural History museum is another 3-4 hr tour.

Getting around in DC is easy on the METRO and we have never felt unsafe on there, just be aware of where you are and where you are going. The METRO is very user-friendly.

We love the Old Orchard Beach area of Maine.

4 years ago, we did a 45-day East Coast adventure. We left home, went to Luray, VA for the caverns, then on to Hershey, PA and the park; next stop was Philly for the Liberty Bell and tour of Constitution Hall and Betsy Ross house. Then, off to NYC for 4 days (Liberty Harbor) and then on up the coast to Maine. We started with Old Orchard Beach, then on up the coast to Portland and then Bar Harbour and Acadia. After we had eaten our fill of lobster (there really is no such thing), we headed back south with a few stops whenever something caught our attention. We ended up in Boston and did the Salem area and drove over to Cape Cod, just because I wanted to go. We headed back south and went to Hunting Island, SC, meeting up with friends for a week on the beach. It was a great vacay.

* This post was edited 01/31/19 08:31am by Merrykalia *

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

kyteacher

Lagrange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions. We took a trip to DC a couple years ago. It was awesome. It also was every bit as hot as you guys are saying.

Just for reference, our last few summer trips have been:

2015- DC/Hersey,PA/Gettysburg
2016- (summer we bought our camper) St.Louis/Destin, FL
2017- Rapid city/yellowstone/Tetons/Rocky Mtn/Pikes peak
2018- Niagara falls/canada/Cedar Point/Chicago/Indiana Dunes
2019- Northeast trip
2020- (hopefully) big southwest trip to grand canyon/zion/arches, etc...

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the high points in New England you may want to consider on your 15 day Northeast Trip. and as mentioned,

ME, Acadia, 3 days a least

NH, Licoln/Woodstock area is a great home base and centrally located to exploring all of the White Mountain Attractions, 3 days at least. Lincoln/Woodstock KOA gets good reviews

MA, Boston Boston Minuteman Campground We have never stayed there as we live close enough to drive to boston but I hear campground is very popular stop for the Rvers that tour the Boston area. Maybe 2 or 3 days.

Cape Cod IMO is better visited during off season as traffic can be tough during the peak summer months but if you want to give it a try I would recommend Atlantic Oaks Campground which is at the halfway point up the cape and gets very good reviews.

ME, Old Orchard Beach (OOB southern ME) your kids will love this stop as area is very touristy, family oriented and has lots and lots of stuff for teenagers. Check out Bayleys Camping Resort

Just another FYI, beach water temps in New England will be for the most part be to cold for swimming at the time of your planned trip

Hope this helps
Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be aware that, the farther you venture east, the more expensive things like fuel and campgrounds will become. and in the highly populated east, driving can be difficult too.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Mike and Terry Ann

Hooversville,Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going north - Gloucester Fisherman Monument and Plymouth Rock . Acadia/Bar Harbor are very nice and if you get up early go up Cadillac Mt. and be the first to see the sun rise. If you drive to Lubec you will be at the eastern most pt in the US ( next to Alaska).

If you decide not to go to Canada ..Lake Champlain ,Lake Placid, Tupper Lake , and the Thousand Island on the St Lawerence River are also nice. Have a nice trip and Safe Travel.

Lumpty

Greater Gotham City

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Specific to NYC, as I'm pretty much a native, skip the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. If a view of Manhattan is what you're after you're going to get that walking to the Exchange Place PATH station in the mornings and back in the evenings, or take the free Staten Island Ferry roundtrip from Battery Park.

Here is a whirlwind suggested day tour route: do a loop of Manhattan island from downtown by the WTC up to Central Park West say to the American Museum of Natural History (between 77th to 81st Streets), then go across Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art on 5th Ave. The Guggenheim is a few blocks up at 88th. If museums aren't your thing, and yeah, you can spend a day in any of these, just using them as a landmarks on the walking tour is enough. The subway is handy to jump from areas to areas, but like many natives from the NYC area, if the weather is cooperative, you get a much better feel for the city by being a pedestrian to the greatest extent possible. Other good areas and things to explore: the Village, the Grand Central Station Planetarium ceiling, Union Square and Washington Square Parks, Chinatown, Little Italy, and the Brooklyn Bridge. Look at a map and see what pops.

Try some local pizza. It will be better than any you've had, as well as a bagel. Another local item not replicated as good anywhere else.

Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

donut dave

Burnett WI

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/19 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just commenting on a few things. yes, camp at minuteman cg outside of boston and take the bus into town. Lexington and concord are an easy drive. our first time we drove into boston, horrible. also for dc, take public transportation. the first time we drove in, horrible. do the plimouth plantation. Plymouth rock is cool but you will be surprised how small it is. ranger said that for many years it was carted around in parades at which it would fall off the carts and break pieces off also said tourists would break chunks off as souvenirs.

philly, also do independence hall as long as you are there. not far from the bell.

acadia area, bar harbor cg is good and it is cheap. but there is no ocean access as it is on a high cliff. but good view. bar harbor is pretty crowded so take the free shuttle to get around. we went down to rockland area. nice cgs right on the ocean and not crowded.

4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First you might get your reservations in order ASAP. You'll be travelling the week right before the 4th of July and you may already have a difficult time getting reservations in many places.

I could easily skip NYC and all the traffic, parking hassles, etc.

Your girls might enjoy Mystic Seaport Museum along the Connecticut coast.

If you want to do Cape Cod, consider camping somewhere around Sandwich, MA, (maybe Scussett Beach?) and taking a day to drive out and back. Maybe a second day at Newport RI. Interesting town.Tour the mansions or do the Cliff Walk. We even took in Boston from the Sandwich area by taking the train into town. A much more civilized way to do it.

Bikes are really fun to have at Acadia NP. There are miles of old carriage roads open to bicycles and walking. You can also rent bicycles for the day in Bar Harbor. Gets one away from the traffic noise and by lakes not accesible by car. Definitely something we'll do again when we go back. The two NPS CG's on the island are both nice, but no hookups. Some sites are close enough to the water to hear the surf at night.

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

kyteacher

Lagrange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the suggestions. The 2 days off school this past week for the cold weather here in KY allowed some time to read up and make some reservations. We got our first 12 days reserved. Here's what we have so far:

Day 1a/1b- leave a half day early and drive to Philly south KOA- 2 nights

Day 2- Tour philly- liberty bell, historic stuff...

Day 3- Drive to liberty harbor campground- 3 nights

Day 4-5 Tour NYC (never been there)

Day 6- drive from liberty harbor to normandy farms campground (foxboro, MA)

Day 7- Boston- freedom trail

Day 8- Cape cod (whale watching)

Day 9- drive to Narrows Too campground outside of Acadia

Day 10-11- Acadia

Day 12- drive to timberlands campground- White mountains, NH

Day 13-15- drive home making a few quick stops along the way

White Mtns to Syracuse area

Syracuse area to Cleveland area

Cleveland to home

I know it is not possible to avoid tolls, but now my route planning is going to be balancing keeping the drives as short as possible while avoiding the "big" tolls (I'm looking at you George Washington Bridge).

Thanks again for the help. We are defiantly going to save the Canada trip for another day. Although, when my wife saw how close PEI is to Acadia she tried to talk me into extending the trip, but she is just starting a new job so longer than 15 days off may be pushing it a little.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS