|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adding 2nd air, converting from 30 amp to 50 amp

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prepped, add AC and on 30A, YES if the power is good you can run two AC's.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/19 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see where 2 smaller A/C's could run on a 30a trailer. Maybe 2 ~8-9k units or, on older units, there were even smaller units. Even then, might still need to have a controller the sequence starting =and= hard start kits on them.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 62 Year Member

lynndiwagon

Yukon, Oklahoma, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your electrician Dad will know about the attractive surface mount wiring options.

Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/19 10:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that adding surface mount would be the easiest. Some people will find the surface mounted channels to be to "industrial" looking for their liking. The electricians will know what to do. Rely on them.

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my last Mobile Suites I could run the 15k and 13.5 k AC’s as long as reefer and WH were on propane. No fancy switching.

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a suggestion for your electricians. Instead of R&Ring the current AC distribution panel simply put in a 50amp panel and run a 30 amp circuit to current panel and set another panel for the new air cond. leaving spaces for future add on's.

2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

john&bet wrote:

I have a suggestion for your electricians. Instead of R&Ring the current AC distribution panel simply put in a 50amp panel and run a 30 amp circuit to current panel and set another panel for the new air cond. leaving spaces for future add on's.

Yep, that would be my way of doing it. Make the current 30 amp Panel a Sub Panel of your new 50 amp panel. Keep it simple....

96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund, Senior Cavalier Rosie and Potter
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie and Mollie, Elvis Love You!

Rally's and get togethers-Lots

Dayle1

Spicewood, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

john&bet wrote:

That is what I did on previous unit. An 8 slot panel (2 for the main). The existing 30 amp panel now becomes a sub panel and some of the existing circuits can be moved from it to extra slots on the new panel to help balance the load.

Surface mount wiring also is ez, Legrande plastic from Lowes can handle romex 12/2 w gnd. I used it to add a 20 amp outlet in the garage of a toyhauler from the existing A/C down to the sidewall for an electric heater. Just cut a small notch in the A/C shroud for the wire chase to exit (or in your case, enter) the A/C.

Biggest cost is the new 50 amp power cord.

Larry Day
Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders since '01
'13 Silverado 3500HD LT 2wd CCSB SRW, custom RKI bed
'19 Starcraft Telluride 292RLS
Rig Photos

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our rig came with 30 amp and no second AC prep. Since I may add one at a point in the future as well as some additional circuits now, I updated to a 50 amp service. Had to change distribution panels for both 110 and 12v since the OEM was combined, plus the cord and ends to have the 4 wire needed. Cost was less than $300 and about 7 hours of my time. I’ve got a pretty easy path of getting the wire to the vent in the bedroom if we add the AC. Good luck with yours.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

twinstick

Ball Ground, Ga

View Profile

Posted: 06/08/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bringing this back up, today was the start of my plan. I wanted to make sure I could run wires from the AC unit to the panel, and I really wanted to pull a thermostat wire to be able to use a thermostat and not one with controls on the unit. After pulling some of the camper apart, I was able to drill a few holes and run the wires.

Now to the fun fun part, I get to order parts! All in, in figuring I should have about 1500 in the conversion. I'm planning on going to 50amp and not adding a second plug. I want this to look as factory as possible. Here's a couple pics, this will be a slow process.

[image]

[image]

Edit: not sure why the picture are showing up huge
Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.
Next time use this site to post your pictures. They will automatically be properly sized for use on these forums. See this thread for for instructions.

* This post was last edited 06/09/19 08:00am by an administrator/moderator *   View edit history

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adding 2nd air, converting from 30 amp to 50 amp
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.