|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
sarhvac1

Slatington PA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 02:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3M film on front of rig is starting to look like **** with what looks like mold underneath it.I had a quote from Diamond shield to remove and replace for a crazy amount of cash.. since then I've seen on 2 rigs the front was rhino lined to match the colors of the coach pretty close i know it will last a lifetime. looking for personal opinions on this... whats your take,,, YAY OR NAY ?? looks better than a bra to cover it up to me.

sarhvac1
08 Forest River Georgetown

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed mine. So do many others. The earlier the easier as age makes it more difficult to remove.

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I removed it from a 2008 Allegro Bus. Finger cramping job and some repainting was required. When we ordered the 2013, we specified NO garbage on the front, and Bob Tiffin called me personally to verify that was what I wanted. Of course it came through with the coating. Tiffin removed it under warranty 6 months later and repainted the sections of paint that came off with it. I've had bra's on both Buses and we have 98,000 miles on the 2013. The front looks wonderful, and this unit has been driven to Alaska 8 times so far.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

dons2346

Sioux Falls, SD, formerly of So. CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen rigs where the film was removed without any paint damage. All you have to do is take your time and go slow during removal.

Rhino liner belongs in a truck bed, not on the front of a coach.

s N s

Michigan / Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/19 03:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can google "Ugly shield removal" Wayne has many videos on the removal process. He is very helpful and if needed you can contact him. They sell product but you DON'T have to purchase anything from him. In watching the videos there is a difference in removing the 3m vs. Diamond Shield. Give his videos a look they are very informative. I have no affiliation with his company and only wish I was closer to get his services. I may just make the trip to FL to have him remove it this spring. If my arm and shoulder were better I would most definitely try it myself. Thanks for the Rhino Lined mention. I had not heard of them and will look into that as well.

* This post was edited 02/02/19 03:11am by s N s *

Steve & Sally
Hudson (Our Little Pom)
HiTee, Houston & Heidi (Forever In Our Hearts and Never Forgotten)
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22
05 pt Cruiser Vert 5 speed
Demco baseplate with Commander Tow Bar

"Never try to outsmart your common sense"

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About $3k to remove the 3M and replace it with Diamond Shield. If they're/you're careful with removal, touch up may not be necessary. High humidity causes the mold to grow under the shield...Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/19 11:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A tip that most folks don't know.

If you don't want to remove it but remove the mold so it won't show. Spray pure bleach on it let it sit overnight, spray it again the next day, and the next, and the next until it's gone. After the mold has disappeared, wax, wax, wax.

I know that sounds unconventional but it works. I know the 3M is probably cracked but it's the mold that makes it look so bad.

">Never pass up a chance to go somewhere">

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/19 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I inspected a rig with black rhino on it. Looked good and a lot easier than trying to get the 3M off. Should protect the fiberglass better too.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seems to be good stuff. An RV repair business owner put it on his 2004 Monaco, which he was selling at his business. Did a great job, he said he also covered the whole roof with it (approx 43 feet), so front and roof, $12K. You can't even tell it's rhino until you get 2-3 feet away from it. If money is no object Do it.

Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So just to clarify, the rhino covering that is being discussed here is not the black rhino skin that you see in the bed of trucks, this rhino finishing/coating has the same paint job/artistic pattern-designs as the original design (they just use/create a stencil from your design) of the rig. Once the paint job over that rhino skin is done, you don't even notice it unless you're 2-3 feet away from it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS