RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Different generator question?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Different generator question?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Why not convert the ONAN to a portable?

Thhat Champion you cited sounds like it might be a contractor's model (That wattage usually is) ear plugs are NOT optional. they are necessary with Contractor's models.

Build a box to enclose the ONAN and load it in your truck to carry. you may wish to convert it to gasoline though.. Propane it sucks lots of.
No the champion is a inverter enclosed generator, it replaces the 3100 model with 300 more running watts and you can get it with remote start. I do have a champion 3500 open frame in case of power failure at the house, still new in the box. I need the truck bed open for a couple of maxi-scooters.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 12:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Building a rack on the tongue would be far simpler and if you bolt it in place with a cover, it won't be an obvious choice for theft. Plus you get to keep the under bed storage.

Under the bed, exhaust and heat are probably the bigger issues as opposed to noise. The portable generators are not designed to be run in small enclosed spaces.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Building a rack on the tongue would be far simpler and if you bolt it in place with a cover, it won't be an obvious choice for theft. Plus you get to keep the under bed storage.

Under the bed, exhaust and heat are probably the bigger issues as opposed to noise. The portable generators are not designed to be run in small enclosed spaces.
The Onan is NOT a portable generator. Under bed would be no different then any other built in installation. Onan has a built in fan that sucks in cooling air and blows hot air to the under side of the RV. The exhaust runs through a tailpipe past the exterior of the RV. To install in the storage compartment you would need a sheet metal cabnet that has a lip to the outside of the RV. You would have to cut a rectangular hole in the floor for the cooling with the tailpipe running through the same opening. The generator is in it's own enclosure and designed for this type of installation. This is no different then any other built in generator installation. The Onan 2500 microlite is used extensively in truck campers and class c's. The Onan 2800 is the same generator but the gasoline version instead of propane.

I hope this clarification helps for those that don't understand.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

The Onan is NOT a portable generator. Under bed would be no different then any other built in installation. Onan has a built in fan that sucks in cooling air and blows hot air to the under side of the RV. The exhaust runs through a tailpipe past the exterior of the RV. To install in the storage compartment you would need a sheet metal cabnet that has a lip to the outside of the RV. You would have to cut a rectangular hole in the floor for the cooling with the tailpipe running through the same opening. The generator is in it's own enclosure and designed for this type of installation. This is no different then any other built in generator installation. The Onan 2500 microlite is used extensively in truck campers and class c's. The Onan 2800 is the same generator but the gasoline version instead of propane.

In addition for what it's worth ... Onan's meeting of National Park noise requirements apply when their models are "naked" in only their own enclosures. Built-in Onan generators can be much quieter than their naked noise specs when installed within the various RV generator compartments.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Pnichols for pointing that out. If I install it will also go in a sheet metal cabnet covered with Dynamat noise reduction material then have the wood bed frame and mattress for additional noise reduction. I could put in additional sound insulation on the bottom and sides of the bed. You will always have a little vibration which doesn't bother me. The motor and generator are on rubber mounts inside the case.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I understood...I was referring to the champion on the tongue and the onan inside.

Yes, you can do it under the bed but its a little more than just shove it in a compartment and hope for the best.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Why not convert the ONAN to a portable?

Thhat Champion you cited sounds like it might be a contractor's model (That wattage usually is) ear plugs are NOT optional. they are necessary with Contractor's models.

Build a box to enclose the ONAN and load it in your truck to carry. you may wish to convert it to gasoline though.. Propane it sucks lots of.

NOPE, Champion has a 3400 inverter with remote start weighs apr. 95 #
I have the same thing only 3500w
Jay D.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 02:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

I understood...I was referring to the champion on the tongue and the onan inside.

Yes, you can do it under the bed but its a little more than just shove it in a compartment and hope for the best.
That's why I posted a detailed explanation of how to do a generator compartment. Your correct in you can't just put it under the bed. Installation of the Onan would be a little more labor-intensive.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Different generator question?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS