|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Sprinter Class C 4x4 Conversion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go big...be happy....

">][image]

">][image]

There is an outfit in Kamloops BC...Sportsman Light Truck. They'll convert most anything.

https://www.facebook.com/Sportsmanlighttruck/

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reason Whitefeather gets a bad wrap is the electronics.... Their built quality isn't the issue. But the Ford-spec Dana 60 won't play with the Mercedes stability control (and ABS, and crosswind assist) to the point that some owners have had warranty work blocked by MB, and eventually MB sent legal notice to Whitefeather that their conversions are not FMVSS compliant.

Nobody else converts Sprinters.

If all you need is winter traction, automatic tire chains might be a good solution. If you want a rear 4x4 motorhome, the E-series is still the best bet. A QuadVan E450 motorhome will handle better than 2WD.

As mentioned, Transit 4x4 conversions are possible too, but it still will be far more limited than an E-series.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/19 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyhaupt wrote:

Go big...be happy....

">][image]

">][image]

There is an outfit in Kamloops BC...Sportsman Light Truck. They'll convert most anything.

https://www.facebook.com/Sportsmanlighttruck/

Gary Haupt

Gary, off topic but:

- It looks like your 4X4 Class C in the photos had it's stock front coil springs replaced with leaf springs? Does it ride rough in the front, as a result?

- Also, is that black structure on the rear your rooftop boat rack?

- Did the 4X4 conversion on your Class C include replacement of the rear differential with a limited slip or locking differential?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

missouri dave

Lower Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ujointoffroad has a good rep but they don't work on sprinter chassis. To my knowledge they only work on the ford van/van cutaway based class b/c.

pauldub

North of Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quad Van in Portland is doing conversions on Transit platforms. They had 3-4 in progress and several completed when I was there last April.

CoeyCoey

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

I don't know how big you need or what your price range but here's a Gemini based on the Ford Transit with either diesel or gas. Add a Quigley 4x4 conversion and you're at around $100,000. I don't know if you are 100% set on a Sprinter, but the Transit is pretty comparable other than a 700 lb lower GVWR.

Thanks for the idea. I did check them out, but none of their floor plans work. I am looking for something where the bed is usable with the slides in. I do a lot of long distance traveling and I often stay the night in rest stops, or off highway exits and wouldn't be able to extend the slide for sleeping.

If I went with a new RV, are there any manufacturers that make Class C's from a cutaway? If I ordered a Sprinter 3500 4x4, will anyone turn it into a class C? This would likely be about similar in cost to getting a conversion done I suspect. Plus, I would get all the options I wanted in the Sprinter, and could delete the options in the RV I will never use. Resale would be very good as well.

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CoeyCoey wrote:

Thanks for the idea. I did check them out, but none of their floor plans work. I am looking for something where the bed is usable with the slides in. I do a lot of long distance traveling and I often stay the night in rest stops, or off highway exits and wouldn't be able to extend the slide for sleeping.

If I went with a new RV, are there any manufacturers that make Class C's from a cutaway? If I ordered a Sprinter 3500 4x4, will anyone turn it into a class C? This would likely be about similar in cost to getting a conversion done I suspect. Plus, I would get all the options I wanted in the Sprinter, and could delete the options in the RV I will never use. Resale would be very good as well.

MB doesn't make a 4x4 Sprinter cutaway, so anything on a van cutaway would have to be a conversion to get 4WD. There are pickup-based Cs on the market that have factory 4WD but I don't know if they fit your needs as far as space and/or price go.

CoeyCoey

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

MB doesn't make a 4x4 Sprinter cutaway, so anything on a van cutaway would have to be a conversion to get 4WD. There are pickup-based Cs on the market that have factory 4WD but I don't know if they fit your needs as far as space and/or price go.

I mean order a van and have them cutaway the back. Not cutaway meaning chassis cab.

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/19 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Response to Phil....Gary, off topic but:

- It looks like your 4X4 Class C in the photos had it's stock front coil springs replaced with leaf springs? Does it ride rough in the front, as a result?

It used to ride rough, Phil. Canada Spring added a third and that took care of the porpoising.

- Also, is that black structure on the rear your rooftop boat rack?

Yeppers. Hand crank on drivers side.

- Did the 4X4 conversion on your Class C include replacement of the rear differential with a limited slip or locking differential?

Not to my knowledge. I will drop a line and ask the shop. I bought this after the conversion was done. I know there is not a locking diff. If I hadn't bought this...the next best answer is a locking diff and a lift.

Gary

SweetWaterSurprise

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a Phoenix Cruiser that has the QuadVan 4X4 conversion. Handles great off road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Sprinter Class C 4x4 Conversion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS