RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Getting a New Generator in Fort Meyers or Tampa?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting a New Generator in Fort Meyers or Tampa?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an Onan RV 2500 LP generator. Runs Incredibly well now that I got the little kinks worked out.

However, it stopped producing electricity now.

It's in a place where you can't access it without removing it from the TC.

I know diagnosing these units can cost upward of $1000 so I'm ready to bite the bullet and just drop $2500 on a new one. A few problems...

1) the new model is 22" long. The hole in my TC is 21" long. The newest unit needs a modification to fit.

2) There are still a few of the older models available new but they are very hard to come by.

3) I went to Lazy Days RV in Seffner FL to just buy the new one. They wanted to charge me $3500 for the RV 2500 LP. If you Google this model, it's everywhere for $2500. They don't care and are firm at $3500 plus installation so I'm not going there.

What do you all think? Try to get it fixed? Try to get a new one?

If so, where?? Any suggestions on places that don't add $1000 (33%) to retail prices in generators?

Anywhere good to get the current one fixed?

Somewhere between Orlando, Tampa and Fort Meyers is good.

Cummins in Fort Meyers refuses to answer the phone or answer emails. Left several messages asking to buy a generator. Nothing.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Also, I have a perfectly functioning manual start gasoline generator from Northern Tool that has been powering us all winter while the TC was stationary and off grid.

Any creative ideas on how to just use this? The frame is too big to stick it in where the Onan is currently. I was thinking of putting it on my trailer hitch but that's no good since I need to tow a trailer up north this spring.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you done any diagnosis at all as to why the existing generator not producing power? Does it keep running more or less indefinitely with no power output?

In general, the Onan control modules will shut down the generator if there is no output from the generator head itself (as a safety feature--that often is because of a shorted winding somewhere, which if run long enough can get hot and cause a fire). If it keeps running, chances are pretty good that the problem is not the generator itself but something in between it and the rest of the RV--either the breaker on the generator tripped, or there's a loose or broken connection in the wiring, or the transfer switch has stopped working, or something like that.

If the generator shuts itself down, then it's still not necessarily a given that it's an overly expensive fix; it could be the regulator board or the control board or something like that. Proper diagnosis is the only way to find out. Calling a good mobile RV tech might be a good place to start.

Modifying an open frame contractor generator to work safely and properly in an RV is not at all trivial. The fuel supply needs changing, ventilation and heat removal needs to be considered, and the exhaust system would have to be modified to safely vent outside the RV, at a bare minimum...and likely there would be many more details involved as well.

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you tried to reenergize the genny. Start genny let it warm up. Plug in drill or grinder spin the drill or grinder by hand carefully as it could start to turn powered by the genny.

Check it out on the net.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok. Thanks for the input.

The generator is not producing AC power. There is only one thing I can reliably reach on the generator and that's the AC power output. Of course the breaker has been reset a couple times. I'm measuring voltage at the actual AC output of the generator, touching the wires inside the generator with the generator on and unhooked from the RV electrical system.

It runs like a champ. But absolutely no voltage output.

Thinking control board or loose wire since it doesn't shut down.

I can't gain access to the generator though without removing it from RV. Then of course removed from the RV it will need 12v and propane. Not too handy.

I am suspecting a loose wire behind the control panel by the breaker. But there is no getting in there without removing the green Onan generator cover. And there is no removing the green cover without dropping the generator out of the bottom of the RV, disconnecting it from 12v and propane.

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum, thanks for the tip on energizing the generator coils. I'll give that a shot. Can't hurt Typescript to try. Thanks for that. It's about the only thing I can do without removing the entire gender then having no way to start or run it without 12v and propane feed.

johntank

North MS

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HadEnough wrote:

I have an Onan RV 2500 LP generator. Runs Incredibly well now that I got the little kinks worked out.

However, it stopped producing electricity now.

It's in a place where you can't access it without removing it from the TC.

I know diagnosing these units can cost upward of $1000 so I'm ready to bite the bullet and just drop $2500 on a new one. A few problems...

1) the new model is 22" long. The hole in my TC is 21" long. The newest unit needs a modification to fit.

2) There are still a few of the older models available new but they are very hard to come by.

3) I went to Lazy Days RV in Seffner FL to just buy the new one. They wanted to charge me $3500 for the RV 2500 LP. If you Google this model, it's everywhere for $2500. They don't care and are firm at $3500 plus installation so I'm not going there.

What do you all think? Try to get it fixed? Try to get a new one?

If so, where?? Any suggestions on places that don't add $1000 (33%) to retail prices in generators?

Anywhere good to get the current one fixed?

Somewhere between Orlando, Tampa and Fort Meyers is good.

Cummins in Fort Meyers refuses to answer the phone or answer emails. Left several messages asking to buy a generator. Nothing.

Have you tried the service center in Orlando, Ocala, or even Tampa? Googgle Cummins service centers in Florida and it will list all the centers with address and phone #s. Hope this will be helpful.

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/19 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently had work done at RV Parts Mall in Sarasota. They did an OK job on a few things but their communication was terrible. Small shop, so nowhere to hang out during the day, but they were open to us staying the night in it (and giving us electric + water). We hoteled it and they kept us plugged into electricity for the duration of our service visits.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

I recently had work done at RV Parts Mall in Sarasota. They did an OK job on a few things but their communication was terrible. Small shop, so nowhere to hang out during the day, but they were open to us staying the night in it (and giving us electric + water). We hoteled it and they kept us plugged into electricity for the duration of our service visits.

Thanks for the tip. We'll try them.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 05:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first step is dropping it out of the camper no matter how you look at it. We can't do it for you. That leaves your hands or your wallet. You choose.

2005 Cummins 2500 2WD LB quad cab pulling a 2007 Jayco 345bhs. It pulls better than Marcell Ledbetter's mule.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Getting a New Generator in Fort Meyers or Tampa?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS