|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motorhome financing

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
daveb1256

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 09:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks again for all of your responses! We leave tomorrow on a trip to south Texas where we have rented an RV for 2 weeks to explore winter resort parks and determine if we can co-exist with a queen bed or truly need a king for the two of us and our Shih Tzu. Plan to look at a variety of MH's while we are there... we are excited to get on to this next chapter of life!

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/19 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a side note, the best online calculators on the net are at Dinkytown.net Nearly every form of loan calculator is there for vehicles, houses, you name it.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/19 10:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"daveb1256"....Your financial plan is fine and is what most people do when buying an RV. Find best rate, 20% or more down and buy the best RV you can afford.

It always amazes me how many financial wizards there are that live behind keyboards. Not ONE situation is the same. One guy says he always pays cash and drives a $1200.00 RV....wow, what a financial wizard. Another guy says he always pays cash, yet neglects to mention he's 65 years old and sold his house to buy the RV. Another says he paid cash, but waited until he was 70 years old, had paid off everything, but missed out on RVing for 20 years. My favorite....the guy that gives financial advice, but never lists what he owns. Trust me, the very wealthy are not on this website!

EVERYONE's financial situation is different, from wealth, to age, to health. Buy what you can afford and feel comfortable with....no one knows your finances better than you.

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2016 GMC Canyon 4WD Crew Cab

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSDP Don wrote:

"daveb1256"....Your financial plan is fine and is what most people do when buying an RV. Find best rate, 20% or more down and buy the best RV you can afford.

It always amazes me how many financial wizards there are that live behind keyboards. Not ONE situation is the same. One guy says he always pays cash and drives a $1200.00 RV....wow, what a financial wizard. Another guy says he always pays cash, yet neglects to mention he's 65 years old and sold his house to buy the RV. Another says he paid cash, but waited until he was 70 years old, had paid off everything, but missed out on RVing for 20 years. My favorite....the guy that gives financial advice, but never lists what he owns. Trust me, the very wealthy are not on this website!

EVERYONE's financial situation is different, from wealth, to age, to health. Buy what you can afford and feel comfortable with....no one knows your finances better than you.

Very well said, and soooo true.

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DSDP Don wrote:

Another says he paid cash, but waited until he was 70 years old, had paid off everything, but missed out on RVing for 20 years.

Well said. My father was the tightest man I ever knew. Saved every penny and had big plans for when he retired. He died of cancer at 49 years old. Left my mom and I in good financial shape but we never took a family vacation. You have to find the happy medium. I save as much as I can but I also enjoy life and spend time traveling with my family. If you can afford it, go for it!

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daveb1256 wrote:

As newbies to the RV lifestyle dream we are researching and preparing to buy our first RV. We know we want a large Class A built with high quality which with our budget means older high quality versus newer high production/lower quality. With the current state of the investments markets, we are reluctant to withdraw all of the funds to pay cash. While investigating the credit markets for RV financing we were offered a loan in excess of 100K at a rate of 5% provided our down payment was 20%. Early prepayment penalty of $200 if repaid before 36 months, none thereafter. Can any of you offer any potential pitfalls we should be aware of? Or any experience with Boatloan.com? Thank you for your advice and relative experience!

So, what's the matter with that, if you can afford making the payments and you can buy a lot of quality for less than a 100k, including what we now have and one that I would recommend.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

DSDP Don wrote:

Another says he paid cash, but waited until he was 70 years old, had paid off everything, but missed out on RVing for 20 years.

Well said. My father was the tightest man I ever knew. Saved every penny and had big plans for when he retired. He died of cancer at 49 years old. Left my mom and I in good financial shape but we never took a family vacation. You have to find the happy medium. I save as much as I can but I also enjoy life and spend time traveling with my family. If you can afford it, go for it!

Amen.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/19 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

DSDP Don wrote:

+1
My dad did similar and was gone at 58. Never made it back to the old country except in his dreams.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Beachme

Pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/19 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bla bla just put 20% down get the best interest rate and enjoy your travels timetoroll says it all Life is short

bobkatmsu

clearwater, fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To each their own, of course. My philosophy has always been, if you can't pay cash for a toy, and I consider a boat, sports car, airplane, motorcycle, RV, a toy, then I can't afford it. I am enjoying a wonderful retirement so far. Have a nice DP, am debt free and travel the country where ever we want to go.

2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Motorhome financing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.