|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving your RV alone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

donn0128 wrote:

...only downside I can see is backing into a site. Its sure nice to have a spotter. But there are always helpful folks willing to spot you.

I can imagine backing into a site alone. Pull past the site, get out and look, back up 5 feet, check again, 5 more feet, out, again, out.

Being a bachelor, I end up RVing solo much of the time when I get a chance to go out. Sometimes that's the way it goes when backing into a site. There's nothing to be ashamed of in getting out and looking multiple times, particularly if it avoids doing something slightly boneheaded like getting a wheel stuck in a ditch or scraping a rock.

With practice, it gets a little easier; you might go ten feet between times when you pop out to look things over.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I go solo quite a bit, never really thought much of it.

Honestly, I think I'm more likely to back into something if my wife is spotting me than if I'm solo... [emoticon]

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Lwiddis

near La Cuesta Encantada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do frequently. Back up slowly and get out to check every three or four feet. Takes a while but it’s the safest way. I hurry for no one.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bukhrn wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

Been driving solo for 5 years now.. Hope to couple up come spring though

It is not really that hard if you have the skills to back in to a back in site. Though in truth I prefer pull throughs.

But I think I'm going to like my new travel companion if we successfully hook up. SHE can drive a motor home. alas my wife WOULD not I mean even 3 feet to line up the gas pump she was scared to do. That's 3 feet STRAIGHT forward. no turn.
Same here, she's terrified to even move it at all, she won't even drive my pickup, being an automatic, there is no real reason that she couldn't, I think she's just afraid to. [emoticon]

I think in many cases, my wife included, they feel if they drive the rig A LITTLE, we will expect more.

Jerry

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can do it, and I've done it several times. Hitching up whatever I'm towing is no problem. Maneuvering is no problem. Unhitching is no problem. Trip planning does takes longer. However, I'm now almost 80, and I'm more aware of of risks which might be related to getting older and older. It's true, the older you get, the younger you wish you were.
My wife is getting a knee replacement next week. Right about now I'm thinking that I might be expecting too much. I'm wondering how close to normal she'll be?

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

2edgesword

New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done it a couple of times but it's short trips under an hour when my wife will be needing her car at some point during out time camping. Any longer trip her preference would be to tag along with me. She sleeps most of the trip anyway [emoticon].

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

Honestly, I think I'm more likely to back into something if my wife is spotting me than if I'm solo... [emoticon]

Well, yes, while backing into the spot near our house where we store the RV, the GF was intently watching the tires while the RV hit the rain gutters.

Go figure. I still take her on trips tho, and remind her to look up and down now.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

Mickeyfan0805

SE Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tow, not a coach, but I have travelled alone on multiple ocassions. The biggest trip was 2,700 miles round trip to and from FL so that she could fly down with the kids and curtail the need to miss school. I kept my overnights as pull-throughs (just to make it easier) and got in and out as necessary to check when backing in. Worked just fine. I like having her company, but when the need arises to do it otherwise, we have no problems with it.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people solo RV. It's not a big deal. If it makes sense to have your spouse drive out separately, then do it. No special thought required.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a travel trailer and not a self propelled RV. I have been lucky and have never gotten married. I go everywhere solo, unless you count the dog. The only problem I have is that when I get to the park the dog is so excited and happy that I have to stop and tie him out before I can get backed in perfectly.

I like driving alone. No one to complain about my singing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving your RV alone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS