|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving your RV alone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DarkSkySeeker wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Many people solo RV. It's not a big deal. If it makes sense to have your spouse drive out separately, then do it. No special thought required.

I really appreciate the knowledge of the users of this forum. I've had my trailer for 2 years and still felt it was wise to check in here on this issue. It seems to be overwhelmingly a "yes" that is is reasonable to go it alone.

My point is simply why wouldn't it be an overwhelmingly "yes". Of course it is overwhelmingly yes.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

My point is simply why wouldn't it be an overwhelmingly "yes".

For me, any doubt comes from the occasional, "how's it look on the right" where I ask my GF for help at an intersection.

Also, as I get older, I notice 2 person's ability to see trouble ahead is way better than one.

If the comments in the forum were more supportive of these cases, I'd be listening, mostly in favor of safety.

There is something special about camping in an RV.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm the wife in this case, and for us, it's the opposite of some of these stories. I WANT to learn to drive with the 5er hooked up. Mainly because, what if we are out somewhere and something happens to him? I'd rather not have a crash course in learning when he's down for the count. I also get more vacation time than he does, so it would be nice to take off on my own for a trip a few days before he can go. But, so far no luck in him letting me try it out [emoticon]

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2015 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5 Eco-Boost
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 02:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have done it LOT for years. Since I'm retired, I typically leave home early on a Friday morning and the odd time on a Thursday to increase the chances of getting a better site. We are Thousand Trails members and have 3 CGs nearby that I often tow our TT to and DW comes down later in her car after she's off work. It's nice to beat the after work crowd that show up in the evening.

Never have problems of any kind but it is easier sometimes when DW is there to be a spotter. There's often fellow campers around that want to help you back in. Thing is, they often don't help and they don't know the correct hand signals and I sure don't want to smack into a pedestal or tree limb. Can be downright annoying sometimes. Only spotter I trust is DW.

Many tow TTs and drive RVs all over the country solo, big and small, including women with all types of RVs. While on the Oregon coast, we camped next to a lady in her 70s from New York in a HUGE MH. Pretty impressive for anyone at that age and by themselves.

Farthest I've been alone is about 300 miles (one way)and zero issues. That's when it's nice to have the dog riding shotgun with me. I've gotten some great smiles from drivers who pull up beside me at a stoplight and see the passenger, lol. If there's a lot of turns onto different roads and highways, I make a sketch of the route and with exit numbers and keep it in sight on the dash. Have a GPS also that helps.

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/19 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 1 or 2 trips a year where I will set up solo. The trips are local where my better half usually comes the next day because of work schedules.

I just take my time backing in. I mark out where I want my TT, if I have a sharp right angle I will back in steps, get out and recheck my blind side until I am straight and have good sight lines.

Excellent thread! [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

derh20

Vancouver-Not BC, WA-Not DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One downside of traveling solo is the lack of a navigator, especially when driving through large unfamiliar cities. I find driving a MH and keeping an eye on all the signs to go where I want to is challenging. Certainly our GPS helps, but having an extra pair of eyes on the road helps.

DarkSkySeeker

Freestone, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

I just take my time backing in. I mark out where I want my TT, if I have a sharp right angle I will back in steps, get out and recheck my blind side until I am straight and have good sight lines.

Sometimes, backing in feels like the same anticipation as a golfer lining up a putt on a sloped green - you have to visualize the "line" and steer along it using a little imagination.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JAC1982 wrote:

I'm the wife in this case, and for us, it's the opposite of some of these stories. I WANT to learn to drive with the 5er hooked up. Mainly because, what if we are out somewhere and something happens to him? I'd rather not have a crash course in learning when he's down for the count. I also get more vacation time than he does, so it would be nice to take off on my own for a trip a few days before he can go. But, so far no luck in him letting me try it out [emoticon]

You need to just tell him "we're doing this now. If you don't want to teach me, we'll find someone else, but I am going to learn to drive the combo."

If someone is willing to learn, there is no reason not to do so.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/19 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GizmosMom wrote:

Really? I drive our Class C with NO problems. I can back it into a spot. Drove our 21 foot Class B as a daily driver for 14 years all around Austin, TX.

Piece of cake!

In our case the DW is a pro at driving our 24' C, in a previous life she drove rented cube vans a LOT, heck, she takes into the grocery store and parks it in a normal space!

A couple of years back she got her 'own' M/H, a 32' A, that she takes out pretty regularly solo to dog shows, visiting friends and family or meeting me at an air show somewhere.

She says it's "mind over matter". If she doesn't mind, it doesn't matter!

fairway2002

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say at this time 75% of he time I drive myself. I do enjoy it. Then my wife fly's in.
There are plenty of people the can help you park.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving your RV alone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS