|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving your RV alone

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My girl still works part-time from home. We are together all the time, so I take a lot of short trips with the RV or the fishing boat, usually around 3 days. Sometimes she will drop by for dinner if the location is close or for a night. Recently I have done some trips not far from home. I invite friends to come up for dinner in the woods. I have the fire going and make dinner for them and they all really seem to enjoy it. It is fun to have company especially in the shoulder seasons with all of that darkness.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have been traveling like this since 2009. I was self-employed for many years before retiring, so vacation for me has always been at my discretion. She, however, worked for an employer who insisted she could not take more than two weeks off at a time, even though she's been there long enough to accumulated like 7 weeks annual leave each year.

So in 2009, we took US 2 clear across the Great Plains to Seattle to visit a friend. That burned up her two weeks, so she flew home, and I dragged the TT south to LA to visit our daughter and SIL, then back home.

Later I had a professional conference in Vegas, so dragged the TT out, stayed at The Oasis Resort, and when my conference ended, she flew out, and we spent her two weeks making a big circle around the Grand Canyon and taking in Bryce and Zion NPs while we were at it. She then flew home and I dragged the rig back by myself.

Most recently, I spent a week by myself taking the TT to Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta. She flew out to meet me, and we took in Taos, and the many towns on the road all the way back home together.

We've been married now for 50 years, working on 51 (I was a child bride) and she's retiring later this year. We're looking forward to more trips together, but she'll likely go with as well as return with.

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been solo forever because I started my RV experience after my wife died. I wanted to take my/her dog along to Alaska.

First was the Fun Finder shortly replaced with the Arctic Fox TT for the Alaska trip. Never pulled a trailer. But I learned. Not a big thing after a while. The thing I learned was to trust my mirrors and get out and look while backing in. To this day I still get out and look. Even with the class A and now the class C. Well I did hit a tree that ran behind my first class C on its first trip.

To be solo the hardest thing is to predict where you are going to stop for the night. Or finding your way through cities you do not know. I am finding a GPS to be helpful in cities.

I normally take a break at noon and call ahead to find out if there is a sight open in the range of how far I want to go for the day. If not then I call till I find a spot open and get there.

Now days with the TV backup cameras. If it was not so much work for an old guy. I would go back to a TT. But nothing beats pulling in and just getting out of the drives seat and turning around with the feeling of being home for the night or more.

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Driving your RV alone
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS