|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Motorhome to 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are considering trading our motorhome for a 5th wheel. We are planning to retire next year and are hoping to spend the winters someplace warm. I’m thinking that the 5th wheel will have a lot more room for us to spend 3 to 4 months in. I’m having a hard time letting go of my motorhome though. Anyone else do this and are you happy with the 5th wheel or do you wish you had your motorhome back? Thanks for your thoughts

Tim Nowicki

Alden NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just did that 1 year ago. fifth wheel is great. lots of room. Tired of doing the maintance on the motorhome, so I do not miss it. Wife loves the 5er. one thing I do miss is the onboard generator.

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did that in January of 2017 as well. We had a 40 foot dp and yes, it was nice but a motorhome does not afford the room a fiver has. We had a Sunnybrook fiver for a long time but when I retired NOOOO I had to buy a motorhome. We have not had one regret on this decision.

I am not bashing motorhomes just for the record. Every rv'er has their preferences. We did not see that big of advantage.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always thought the best part about having a MH would be the ability take a nice little car to drive around rather than a big truck. Seems like getting around would be more comfortable and it would be easier to park.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We made the switch years ago and have no regrets at all. 5th has more room in it and both mh and 5er were same length with 3 slides.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

imgoin4it

Alamogordo, NM USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m not about to trade our motor home for a fifth wheel or anything simply because we retired 15 Years ago and are at the age we wonder how much longer we will be traveling. However several years ago I ran into two couples that had gone just the opposite, fifth wheel to motor home. One couple did so because of some medical readon where she could not be very far from a bath room facility and actually had to stop traveling until they got the coach. The other couple did the same because they traveled a lot and wanted the ease of pulling over and having lunch or whatever without going back and opening to the fiver. I do think if you plan on staying in one place for relatively long periods of time a fifth wheel might be a little more livesble as it is more like the sticks and bricks . Just something to think about. Best of luck and travel safe.

Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Chainwright

San Antonio

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 09:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't say we don't like 5ers. Some are really really nice. Initially when we first started to look into RV'ing we wanted a Super C, but they lack our preferred dimensions, so we looked at some 5ers, BUT unfortunately we read and witnessed RV parks that ONLY Allow class A MH's. We wanted a vehicle that has access to ALL CG's that we wish to patronize. So we chose a MH.

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We’ve had 5th wheel RVs for several years. After a trip from the California Central Coast to Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, several more states then back home. On our arrival my wife locked herself in the computer room. Came out and announced that the 5th wheel is going and we are getting a Class A.

The reasoning is grabbing a snack, water, wife going to the restroom, dogs have more room and ease of setting up breaking camp. Instead of carrying around stacks of plastic blocks, moving back and forth to level side to side, then front to rear. Now just two buttons and wait. Heated tile floor, 10k genset, residential refrigerator, nice tiled shower, larger closet, bath and a half.

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

Johnny G1

Clearwater, British Columbia ,Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We kept the both of them, 2yrs in the fw as I like my truck but still keep the mh under cover, never know when a guy might change his mind, and momma says I am not allowed to put a hitch on her Honda CRV which would have to be trailerd, awd touring model.

98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 28' 5th wheel Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 05:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a few friends who have gone the route you are considering. Based upon their feedback, all really liked the extra space when parked for longer periods of time in one place. The ones who were not as happy are those who still traveled from place to place more frequently with shorter stays in one place. They didn't like riding in the truck as well as riding in the motor home while traveling. One couple really didn't like having to drive a big truck once they got to their destination, the answer for them was getting a small car to keep at their southern location.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Motorhome to 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS