|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Motorhome to 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the response’s. We need to look at some more 5th wheels before we make a decision. As cold as it is in Illinois right now we’ll have to wait for some warmer weather to be able to do that. We used to have camping trailers in the past so I’m assuming that pulling a 5th wheel won’t be much different than that.

htss

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

We used to have camping trailers in the past so I’m assuming that pulling a 5th wheel won’t be much different than that.

My experience towing travel trailers vs 5th wheels, is that the 5th wheel towed much nicer.

2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

Mile High

CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had 3 fifth wheels before, the last being a 40' with full slides. I'm not sure we lost room with a MH, just different. We don't have as big a pantry or bedroom closet in the MH, but we have 2 bathrooms and enormous basement storage. I guess it's a trade off by individual floor plan.

With the 5th wheel, I hated the dually truck the most, and I really learned to despise the trailer chassis they are built on. If you can get away from the standard LCI I-beam frame and buggy springs most have and into a high end frame and suspension, you'll be steps ahead. However not many companies that build them anymore and the trucks required to pull them are back into the heavy duals or MDT range again. We did have an LP 5500 gen, but not a lot of situations you used it. It was something you needed when you needed it, but not really worth the cost.

For us, the MH is far more automatic (transparency of systems between roadboound-parked-camped) between the inverters, generators, autostart, etc. which makes it easier for us. As a result, we are more willing to move it or use it than we did the 5th wheel. It's also nice just to have something solid, or at least the perception is that it's much more solid and sturdy than the 5er.

2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mile High wrote:

We had 3 fifth wheels before, the last being a 40' with full slides. I'm not sure we lost room with a MH, just different. We don't have as big a pantry or bedroom closet in the MH, but we have 2 bathrooms and enormous basement storage. I guess it's a trade off by individual floor plan.

With the 5th wheel, I hated the dually truck the most, and I really learned to despise the trailer chassis they are built on. If you can get away from the standard LCI I-beam frame and buggy springs most have and into a high end frame and suspension, you'll be steps ahead. However not many companies that build them anymore and the trucks required to pull them are back into the heavy duals or MDT range again. We did have an LP 5500 gen, but not a lot of situations you used it. It was something you needed when you needed it, but not really worth the cost.

For us, the MH is far more automatic (transparency of systems between roadboound-parked-camped) between the inverters, generators, autostart, etc. which makes it easier for us. As a result, we are more willing to move it or use it than we did the 5th wheel. It's also nice just to have something solid, or at least the perception is that it's much more solid and sturdy than the 5er.

Thanks but if I purchased a big beautiful diesel pusher like you have I couldn’t afford to retire. lol Right now if we sell what we have we can buy a nice 5th wheel and trade my current pickup in for a pickup that will pull the 5th wheel and break even. Thanks for your advice though.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've had 4 fifth wheels up to 40'. Last MH and now our new have had every bit of room as our fivers. The MH is many times more enjoyable to drive, in my opinion of course.

kzoocamper

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have recently gone the other direction and moved from a long line of fifth wheels and trailers to a class "A". Unless you are looking at a 40" plus motor home you are more than likely going to find the fifth wheel a better option for long term stays. In our case however we will be doing more short term traveling (a month at the longest) and believe the ease of use, and enhanced ability to travel with our dogs along with not being saddled with the cumbersome gas consuming tow vehicle make a motor home a better choice.
I am sure there are times we will miss the fifth wheel though.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Motorhome to 5th wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS