|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Ridge Grapplers PSI? I have a bit of wiggle now

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wireman

MURRIETA CA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Considering the off-road type tread for those tires, it's very possible you're just experiencing tread squirm. Those might be the wrong type of tire for towing a heavy trailer.

X2 May be just enough wiggle in the tread pattern to make a difference towing.

Maybe try readjusting your WDH and see if that helps.

Sidewalls should be good considering they are E rated.

rsaylor3

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/18/19 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, I towed the camper for 6 hours the other day. Had the rears at 80 and fronts at 60 as people suggested and as truck door asks for. Still sloppy or just not a tight feeling. Before I would feel the little push when busses and certain semi's passed me. At the beginning of this trip I could feel motorcycles passing me[emoticon] really weird, as I needed to give constant input and it just felt unsettled.

I stopped at a rest area and went from 9 free chain links on my blue ox to 10. I had always ran with 9 for the last 4 years. Going to the 10th cleaned and tightened things up to 70+% of what it was before I made the changes. To recap I have a 2015 Chevy 2500hd Duramax 4x4 crew cab regular bed. I did 4 turns of the torsion bars for 1" of front lift. I also did 2 sizes up ridge Grapplers(285/75/17 on stock wheels). Truck is still raked and I have stable loads lowers in the back and have had them the entire time. With the blue ox and the stable loads I never squat before or after the 1" front lift. I just checked my weights again before this trip and I'm at 14% tongue at 1,350lbs. With 9 links I was returning the front to unloaded height.

With taking that extra link of chain and it making such a big difference, I'm wondering if because the front was raised, is that what is causing this unsettled feeling? Is not having the front resting on the jounce bumpers taking some stability from my package??

Would love to hear more thoughts? Thinking I will lower the truck 1/2" in the front, tow again and see how it is. Then drop it back to stock and try again. I love the look of that slight front lift, but won't sacrifice my towing comfort for it.

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post.

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/20/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I also did 2 sizes up ridge Grapplers(285/75/17 on stock wheels).

Some points I've had issues with when pulling heavy GN trailers and going with large tires.
If your OEM GM stock wheels are the 6 1/2"-7" GM uses then you have too big of a tire and will always have issues with carcass roll/tread squirm when carrying weight and a heavy trailer pushing you even after the tire has ran 3k miles for a good break in. Load carrying tires need a wheels width to match the tires tread width.
Now if were doing some type of racing then we can play with wide or narrow wheels for certain traction or handling requirements.

The Ridge Grapplers show a tire with large lugs and voids which also can lead to tread squirm.
A 285/75 tires can have a 8.5"-9" tread width....now mount them on a narrow wheel with a 6.5"-7" wide wheel will basket ball the tires tread and sidewalls. Pump the tire to high pressures for the load and the tire rides the center of the tread producing a squirrely handling truck. Lower pressures can produce carcass roll and a hot running tire when carrying loads.
Once the tire is broke in then find which tire pressures make the best handling and a cooler running tire.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 05:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Between tread squirm and

https://www.etrailer.com/question-116001.html

Might get better once tires are worn in a little.

'10 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73 101k miles
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Equalizer 4 pt 10k.

rsaylor3

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 06:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have any sway, just a loose feeling in the front of the truck that causes me to give a lot of input to keep straight and I noticed the bow wave of even small vehicles. I think the hitch is completely fine and has been fine for the entire four years I have had it. Must be the tires it slightly raised front end, as they were the only two changes made.

The ten links seemed to make a huge difference so I'm leaning towards the raised front end as being the problem. I am leaving this morning to head home so I dropped the front tire air pressure by 5 psi to give that a shot. Inflation load guides for the ridge Grapplers show that 47psi will give same load carrying ability as 60psi for the stock tires I had before. Trying 55 as I am wondering if this will flatten my tread contact patch and give me more control. We shall see..

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/22/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You simply bought the wrong tires.

From Nitto:

The Ridge Grappler represents the next generation of the Nitto Grappler family of products which provides the best of both worlds from our mud-terrain and all-terrain product offerings. Featuring a revolutionary dynamic hybrid tread pattern, the Ridge Grappler provides a quiet and comfortable ride while the deep, aggressive sidewall lugs and tread pattern provide capable off-road performance.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/22/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^ No, he didn’t. RGs are a pretty mellow tire with respect to void ratio.
Currently grossing over 18k gcvw on siped mudders. No squirmy.
Taller new tires WILL be a little more squirmy than old short tires. Cranking Torsion bars will reduce good handling characteristics a bit.
This is not an issue, just a slight net effect of the T bars and more aggressive tires than what likely came off of it.
OP, you’re fine. You’ll get used to it and tires will wear in.
I’d consider an alignment though with the cranked t bars. You might have a little too much toe in now. Makes for stable driving but could be a little harsh on the tires

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

rsaylor3

Orlando

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I ended up praying the front air pressure back up to 60 PSI during the tow. I think 60 is where I'm going to leave it just like I used to. Now that I'm home I just at the torsion bars and brought it back to stock height in the front. we have another trip plan the short one but will still be plenty of interstate time the middle of May so I look forward to seeing how it does with the front back down. Thanks for everybody's advice!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/19 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good luck moving forward. I'm pretty certain that everything is fine and just a little change that you very astutely noticed that some may not.
Did you check total toe before cranking them back down? That was merely a suggestion by me. I'm not certain that little of lift would have a measurable effect on toe. It shouldn't have had an adverse affect on stability though.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 03/26/19 06:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So you're saying the front end was sitting 1" high before you readjusted? Yes that will affect steering. It means weight is being removed from the front tires. Less weight, less traction, less steering effectiveness.

1" is a huge amount. It's no wonder it felt squirrelly.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Ridge Grapplers PSI? I have a bit of wiggle now
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS