|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Delamination on '09 Sierra

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
todd j

pride,la.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/19 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some delamination on the rear of my 2009 Sierra by Forest River. I have seen videos on injecting epoxy and clamping to remove bubbles. I'm not sure how well that would work on mine. What would I need to use to replace the entire back panel of camper? Should I use the Filon sheet? I repaired the leak that caused this just trying to decide which route to go to fix bubbles. Any ideas, suggestions???

Thanks for your help

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it was lamintaed to start with?
Many trailers are laminated everywhere but the back wall so they can run a bunsh of wires through it. My Forest River Wildcat was an example.
The back wall was a bit wavy and would move if you pressed on it.

Scott

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First thing is determining if the outside skin is bonded to a honeycomb structure or bonded to luan sheeting.

My 5er in sig had a small area on the side upper front corner that the filon had delamed (2' area) from the luan backing. I drill holes in the filon per service guys recommendations and injected adhesive he gave me. The trailer sat in a barn so I was able to use the side of the barn to jack a piece of plywood against the work area.

I haven't done a google/youtube on the subject but there should be lots of input on delam issues and how each job was done.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Ralph Cramden

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

First thing is determining if the outside skin is bonded to a honeycomb structure or bonded to luan sheeting.

My 5er in sig had a small area on the side upper front corner that the filon had delamed (2' area) from the luan backing. I drill holes in the filon per service guys recommendations and injected adhesive he gave me. The trailer sat in a barn so I was able to use the side of the barn to jack a piece of plywood against the work area.

I haven't done a google/youtube on the subject but there should be lots of input on delam issues and how each job was done.

Short of a fiberglass cap, the rear wall is usually nothing more than filon laminated to a 1/8" thick piece of hardboard, more or less dense cardboard like used on the front curl, and the only thing that holds it in place is the corner trim and windows. It just floats / hangs there over the framing. Despite the sidewalls being an aluminum framed laminated panel, the rear wall is most likely framed with 2x2 wood studs. That's why the rear walls on a lot of new trailers look like the ocean if looked at from a sharp angle. Very few manufacturers who make laminated trailers use a true laminated panel for rear or front walls.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is a small delam anything more than just cosmetic?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Keithk3628

Jacksonville Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Todd

ScottG is correct, make sure the back wall is supposed to be glued. My Outback was loose as could be and I never noticed it until we traded it in and I was washing it to tow it in for trade-in. I just told the salesman on drop off expecting a change of agreed trade in value and was sure we would take a 2-3000 dollar hit.

The salesman told me upon inspection they appreciated our honesty but not to worry because they were never glued back there on the Outback, he said a lot of trailers were like that.

So check and make sure it is supposed to be glued/bonded back there.

Keith

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Delamination on '09 Sierra
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS