|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> Buying another Vintage Camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bob E.

Canonsburg, PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I paid about $600 for a rotted out 33ft 1989 Fleetwood Wilderness. Basically, I bought a frame and a title. I'm slowly reconstructing it into a toy hauler. I've read westend's Cowboy Hilton thread a few times for inspiration as well as another thread over on irv2.com called Total Rebuild in the Vintage section. It's a lot of work, but I like it. And since I have access to another camper, it's not like I'm under any deadline trying to get it done real fast to go camping this summer or anything. I just wish I had a shop to work on it inside since I'm pretty much limited to free weekends with good weather for working on it...and with a family, those can be rare at times.

BadgerMcAdams

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

BadgerMcAdams wrote:

Saw "vintage" in the title and thought "Canned Ham" style late 50's to late 60's trailers. I would love to get one and fix it up, but here in Arizona (and Phoenix in particular) people think that Howard Hughes or George Washington slept in these things and want completely stupid money for something that is barely road worthy little alone camping ready.

I saw one on craigslist recently...mid 60's style canned ham type trailer. Outside was a little rough...Inside was gutted...Completely. They wanted $4500 for it. The ad went something like, "It is a fresh palette so you can make it your dream come true"...Uh, yeah. Right.

Good luck with your trailer and I hope it brings you and yours many happy memories!

Most of those little trailers you see around here are rotted out and they want around $500. For the shell

Oh not here...This must be the Land that Sanity Forgot when it come to these trailers. The absolute cheapest I have seen one listed for on Craigslist recently was $1000.

And it would have required you to get air-holding tires first (the ones on it were totally dry-rotted) , Find a way to keep it from disintegrating while being moved (All the outside sheet metal had been removed), and a way to haul off all the stuff that went with it (the floor had been completely removed).

The average for a "camping ready" (When the ceiling and wood around the windows have water damage, I can't agree that it is Camping Ready) canned ham here is between $2500 - 4500. For one that has been supposedly restored, $8500 to $14,500...some even higher.

Glamping is big business here in Arizona I guess.

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 11:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well... I've been busy. I cleaned out my Prowler. Removed a tore up awning someone had put on it. (Fabric rotted)
I've added several coat hooks, a clock, a new smoke/carbon dioxide detector.
I've sprayed the metal step with black liquid rubber. (No longer slick when wet).
I cleaned the stove and got all burners clean and burning. I got the oven cleaned and the pilot light lite. Stove works great.
I had an additional gas line someone had installed. I added a propane wall heater for boondocking.
I changed out the safety chains, and cleaned the hitch area.
I bought an additional 15', 30 amp extension cord and some additional connectors.
Today I started washing the trailer down outside.
Today I installed a Cable Vision plug on the outside of the Power hatch.
(We don't always Boondock)
I made a small platform to use instead of the 'Step'. I put a rubber tread surface to make it not too slick.
I've been pretty busy with the niggling little things.

TO DO LIST
I'm gonna put a new rubber roof on.
It is leaking where someone installed the awning.
I haven't tackled electrical and plumbing yet.
I'm gonna make stove and sink covers for extra work areas...
I need new rubber for the road, and I'm gonna repack the bearings.
The Tongue of the trailer, back bumper and the wheel rims will get a fresh coat of black paint.
I need a new trailer battery...
I need a couple of up to date 20 pound Propane tanks.
I'll get the propane tanks at one of the many Estate Sales near here.
I don't mind paying $10-15 for an up to date tank.
AND...
I have my wife looking for some large vinyl letters, gonna put
'Ole Man Dan' on the hatch on the back of the camper.
(Got to keep her busy)

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/19 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BadgerMcAdams wrote:

colliehauler wrote:

BadgerMcAdams wrote:

Saw "vintage" in the title and thought "Canned Ham" style late 50's to late 60's trailers. I would love to get one and fix it up, but here in Arizona (and Phoenix in particular) people think that Howard Hughes or George Washington slept in these things and want completely stupid money for something that is barely road worthy little alone camping ready.

I saw one on craigslist recently...mid 60's style canned ham type trailer. Outside was a little rough...Inside was gutted...Completely. They wanted $4500 for it. The ad went something like, "It is a fresh palette so you can make it your dream come true"...Uh, yeah. Right.

Good luck with your trailer and I hope it brings you and yours many happy memories!

Most of those little trailers you see around here are rotted out and they want around $500. For the shell

Oh not here...This must be the Land that Sanity Forgot when it come to these trailers. The absolute cheapest I have seen one listed for on Craigslist recently was $1000.

And it would have required you to get air-holding tires first (the ones on it were totally dry-rotted) , Find a way to keep it from disintegrating while being moved (All the outside sheet metal had been removed), and a way to haul off all the stuff that went with it (the floor had been completely removed).

The average for a "camping ready" (When the ceiling and wood around the windows have water damage, I can't agree that it is Camping Ready) canned ham here is between $2500 - 4500. For one that has been supposedly restored, $8500 to $14,500...some even higher.

Glamping is big business here in Arizona I guess.
Well after looking on craigslist all I found were adds to purchase vintage campers for up to $1000. A couple of years ago you could find them in the 300 to 500 dollar range. Did see a 49 Spartan shell for sale in Fayetteville

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OleManOleCan wrote:

Well... I've been busy. I cleaned out my Prowler. Removed a tore up awning someone had put on it. (Fabric rotted)
I've sprayed the metal step with black liquid rubber. (No longer slick when wet).
I cleaned the stove and got all burners clean and burning. I got the oven cleaned and the pilot light lite. Stove works great.
I had an additional gas line someone had installed. I added a propane wall heater for boondocking.
I bought an additional 15', 30 amp extension cord and some additional connectors.
I made a small platform to use instead of the 'Step'. I put a rubber tread surface to make it not too slick.

TO DO LIST
The Tongue of the trailer, back bumper and the wheel rims will get a fresh coat of black paint.
AND...
(Got to keep her busy)

ADDITION....
I've worked on my electricals for the last two days.
I have 110 power to lights and plugs.
Someone at some time added 12 volt lights too.
I need to buy a new battery and check those circuits too.
Today I connected a garden hose to my camper.
water leaks all around the faucet connection. Gonna cut it out of the system and replace it. I did get enough water inside to see that my kitchen sink faucet works.
My old Prowler does not have a lock at the trailer ball, it has a shackle that goes down to secure the ball inside. My temporary fix was to put a long shank lock thru the shackle so it want close.
We are expecting 6" to 8" of rain in the next few days, guess I'll stay inside and leave the RV work for another day. More later.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With all the rain it would be a good time to check for water intrusion. Pex is so much better then plumbing in the past copper or pvc.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/19 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jebby14 wrote:

500-1000 is going rate for rotten around here. sometimes free ones come up but not often. 3-5k for rotten garbage is also common although they tend to hide the rot a bit better.
At the storage facility there is a old small camper they will probably pay to haul off that's been abandoned. They have to go through all the legal requirements before they can do so. Been sitting there for years.

eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 2 vintage trailers, one is a 1971 boler which I rebuild from the ground up, with new frame, axel, paint etc. the body is all fiberglass. The other trailer I'm working on is a 1977 Trillium, it just needed a good clean up, windows resealed and interior paint. also this is a fiberglass unit.

The crazy thing is these silly little campers go for like $8000 if not more when they are all fixed up.

These trailers are about a 1000 lbs so they can be towed with any vehicle.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/edmonton/13-boler/1418292562?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-travel-trailer-camper/calgary/vintage-remodelled-lightweight-trillium-trailer-with-solar/1417905521?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2014 Mazda cx5
2015 F150 ecoboost
2010 195wbs Shadow cruiser travel trailer.
1971 Boler 1300

OleManOleCan

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 03/03/19 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OleManOleCan wrote:

TO DO LIST
AND...
(Got to keep her busy)

I got 4 new tires and my wheel bearings repacked...
I got my 110 working and most of my 12 volt. Gonna need some new bulbs.
Gonna be a good time to put in a few LEDs...
I thought I had the roof with temp patches to hold until I could put on a new roof. Wrong... Today when it was storming I found one more leak. Tomorrow I'll try to cover it. Gonna be in the 40s here this next week, with lows in the 20s.
In Alabama that's damned cold. I probably will not get much done this coming week.

okhmbldr

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AND...
(Got to keep her busy)

Dan, If you haven't found the vinyl lettering yet, send me a personal note. I have a vinyl cutter and would be happy to contribute "Ole Man Dan" to your project. I can cut about any size and font you might like. Good luck on this project, Geo.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  Vintage TT's

> Buying another Vintage Camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS