RV.Net Open Roads Forum: what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 01:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?

Hi all

Any guesses as to the increase in price from the 6.2 L gasser to the 7.3 L gasser?

If it was you (and you didn’t want diesel) what engine would you buy? the 6.2 L gasser or the 7.3 L gasser?

Our plan is to custom order a gasser 2020 F350 with just the options we want, and none that we don’t…. and put a 9.5’ Hallmark pop on it full time. No, we will almost never tow anything. We hate towing.

Diesel doesn’t make sense for us, as it adds a ton to the cost, plus weights a *lot* more than the gas engine, so it effectively reduces our max payload.
We also like to go far, far off the beaten path, and those places often don’t have diesel to sell. We dont want to worry about range ever.

I am told that our Hallmark, “wet” could be about 3,000 lbs, or maybe a little less (approximately) so I’ll have the F350 built with a lot of carrying capacity.

So the question comes down to: do we get the tried and true 6.2-liter gas V8, probably around 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque (current specs)
or do we spend the extra $ to get the new 7.3-liter pushrod V8.

One unknown variable… the new 10 speed transmission sounds nice… that would be nice to have. I wonder if the 6.2L gasser would even be available with the new 10 speed transmission….. Hmmm…

Thanks…. here is a copy paste of some info, from the internet:

and I quote: …”The base (Super Duty) option is a carryover 6.2-liter gasoline V8, which will likely have output ratings similar to the current model's 385 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque.

Next up is an all-new 7.3-liter pushrod V8, claimed to be the most powerful gas engine in Super Duty history.

Finally, there's a new, third-generation 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbodiesel V8. It has a new turbo, new internals and a new 36,000-psi fueling system to deliver power; the outgoing engine was rated for 450 hp and 935 lb-ft.

Those engines now mate to a new 10-speed automatic transmission, which weighs just 3.5 pounds more than and fits into the same physical space as the outgoing six-speed. (The base 6.2-liter engine will still be offered with the six-speed on low-cost trims.)

Ford promises improved efficiency from the new transmission. In addition to the expected Tow/Haul, the 10-speed adds extra driving modes: Slippery, Deep Sand and Snow, and Eco, the last of which feels like a token effort in a heavy-duty pickup truck.”

~~~~~~~

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree you don't need nor want a diesel for your application. While the larger engine would probably have better resale years from now I'm very hesitant to buy anything the first year it becomes available.
The power output of the 6.2 is more than enough for hauling around a pop-up TC. 385 HP is about 100 more than big blocks of a few decades ago. 430 pound-feet is almost as much as an 80's or 90's diesel. I think it would be enough.

burningman

Seattle, WA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That’s exactly my thoughts, I’d be hesitant to be one if the “guinea pigs” of an all-new design, and I’m more than 100% sure the 6.2 has plenty of power because for decades I carried a lot more with less. It’s stronger than my diesel was when it was stock.
Payload won’t be an issue for you, an F350 isn’t and hasn’t been built that won’t easily carry that camper regardless of what the so-called “rating” is.

2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd give a new motor design a couple of years to shake out the bugs. Samo-samo with a new tranny.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As already mentioned, the 6.2 is a proven motor so probably the better choice. Ford engineers have a history of not getting everything right for the first couple of years with their engines, spark plug spitting V10s come to mind.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 66,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't buy new models from first year of production.
New design engine and new design transmission. What could go wrong? [emoticon]
Funny you say you don't want to worry about range, yet you are buying gasoline motor [emoticon]

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Don't buy new models from first year of production.
New design engine and new design transmission. What could go wrong? [emoticon]
Funny you say you don't want to worry about range, yet you are buying gasoline motor [emoticon]

dont want to worry about range in the middle of nowhere in NM (for example) where there is nothing other than gas for sale.

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

I agree you don't need nor want a diesel for your application. While the larger engine would probably have better resale years from now I'm very hesitant to buy anything the first year it becomes available.
The power output of the 6.2 is more than enough for hauling around a pop-up TC. 385 HP is about 100 more than big blocks of a few decades ago. 430 pound-feet is almost as much as an 80's or 90's diesel. I think it would be enough.

thanks for the great info - glad to know the 6.2L gasser will have enough grunt.

and..

Yes indeed.... without a really specific need, i guess I would be foolish to buy the 1st year of any engine.... I should indeed buy the existing 6.2L, and as much as I would prefer the new transmission, perhaps I should get that as well. :-/

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jplante4 wrote:

I'd give a new motor design a couple of years to shake out the bugs. Samo-samo with a new tranny.

sad, but true. ;-)

thanks. :-)

LosAngeles

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

As already mentioned, the 6.2 is a proven motor so probably the better choice. Ford engineers have a history of not getting everything right for the first couple of years with their engines, spark plug spitting V10s come to mind.

I am curious - what happened with the v10 spark plugs? in the first years of its production.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> what gas engine? 2020 F350: 6.2 Gas or 7.3 L Gas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS