|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need Barn clearance - will airbags help - Gasser

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Txsurfer

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a new place with a barn with 12' doors - My gasser is 12'2" to the top of the rear AC ( front clears ) - back does not due to rake. Fuel tank is full. I have been told to add airbags but I don't see how this will help with leaf springs on a Ford chassis? Will it?

2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, don't think I am getting the picture.

Air bags can only RAISE the coach meaning you will need MORE clearance.

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

htss

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it the garage door or the opening that is the problem? You might be able to put in a different door to get more clearance, if the door is the problem.

2012 Chevy 2500HD DA - 2009 Open Range (33.5' fifth wheel) - B&W Companion - 40 gallon aux tank - Myself, wife and two kids

TANDDANDBIGE

W. Wa. State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my barn with a gravel floor was not tall enough so I "lowered" the floor on one side and built bulkheads around that area. Not elegant, but functional. Coach stays inside when not in use. TB

2002 HR ENDEAVOR 40'
2007 FORD EDGE TOAD

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags (as in air helper springs, like Ride Rite ones et al.) will not lower the suspension on the gas motorhome unless other changes are made at the same time, which probably would be inadvisable. Obviously replacing the entire suspension with an air suspension is a different story.

Maybe you can get and install a lower profile air conditioner? Maybe if the ground isn't perfectly level you could fit in if you back in vs. pulling in head on (or vice versa)? Maybe you could lower the floor of the barn, or raise the building up by a few inches on its foundation?

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How often do you go in and out of the garage? It might be easier to just take the cover off of the rear AC when you move the RV. The alternative is to let the air out of the rear tires and then reinflate them after you have passed the door opening.
Due to the rake of your coach, air bags MAY HELP if raising the front end will lower the rear end. This can be easily checked by looking at the location of the rear AC in relation to the rear axle. If it is over the rear axle, raising the front will not help. If it is well behind the rear axle, it may help and you can check this by putting a jack under the front axle and by jacking the front end up, you can measure how much the rear drops. I seriously doubt that the air bags will help your situation.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let some air out of the back tires go in.
OR
IF it is an overhead door you can sometimes push up an additional inch or two past where it will stay on its own. In that case cut a length of pipe an inch longer than your rigs is tall, and use it to prop up the door when entering or exiting.

ItsyRV

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Let some air out of the back tires go in.
OR
IF it is an overhead door you can sometimes push up an additional inch or two past where it will stay on its own. In that case cut a length of pipe an inch longer than your rigs is tall, and use it to prop up the door when entering or exiting.

This /\, if you have a rollup.

If the physical door opening hole is more than the door's stay up height, that would be my first choice. Just push and prop it up past the hanging stay-up and you have the clearance you need.

Letting air out of the tires is a good second choice.

However, since you mention the rake of the roof, not sure why one end goes in and the other does not.

1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TANDDANDBIGE wrote:

my barn with a gravel floor was not tall enough so I "lowered" the floor on one side and built bulkheads around that area. Not elegant, but functional. Coach stays inside when not in use. TB

Agree. If the floor is NOT cement, or asphalt. Scrape it down. Other than that. Raise the door opening

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no clue why anyone would think Air bags will help.

You can raise the header on the door
Or you can lower the floor
Or you can load 'er down.. If you put enough weight in the RV it might loose 3 inches.

BUT DANGER.. If you unload the RV..... it goes back up.. I know of semi drivers who have driven under a birdge ....loaded... dozens of times but the first time under that low bridge deadheading.> CLANG and here come da judge.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need Barn clearance - will airbags help - Gasser
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS