RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill Battery Water Maintainer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill Battery Water Maintainer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The battery compartment on our in-bed camper is only 12-13 inches high. Had plans to install two GC2's, which are 11" high. Obviously, very little room to check/maintain the batteries. Has anyone used a battery water maintainer like the Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill? Noticed a number of good reviews on it. Guess we could use AGM's, but not thrilled about the extra expense. Other options? Thanks.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Caring for GC2s requires using an hydrometer fairly often, so you have to haul them out anyway. It is more than just making sure they are topped up.

AGMs means you need an ammeter to tell when they are full on a recharge tapered down to 0.5a per 100AH at 14.4ish (whatever their charging spec is--some have spec at 14.8) before you drop to 13.x Float. I use the Trimetric for that. Best to have an adjustable voltage charger to manage that.

You will want the performance of 12v AGMs vs GC2s for high amp draws using an inverter with only two batteries.

Deep cycle AGMs come in various sizes, but 27 is one. Can you get two in there?

If you keep the TC on saw horses at home to free the truck, you can do the batteries- in- the- truck bed trick, which allows you to get at the batteries.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI

2oldman

Salton Sea

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Guess we could use AGM's, but not thrilled about the extra expense.
Nobody is, but you'll be thrilled with the lack of maintenance.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The flow rite is a MUST have regardless of battery height. Makes it so much easier to maintain the water level. Doug

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

. . . You will want the performance of 12v AGMs vs GC2s for high amp draws using an inverter with only two batteries.

Deep cycle AGMs come in various sizes, but 27 is one. Can you get two in there? . . .
Two 27's will fit. Not sure whether two 31's will fit. Our camper won't arrive for another two weeks. If we went with AGM's, 31's would be my first choice. Most of the 27's I've seen have less total Ah (as a pair) than two GC2's.

Two GC2's and the Flow-Rite (with pump) will probably set me back about $300. Can probably get a pair of Duracell Group 27 AGM's for about $380 OTD. Or, two 31's for about $425 OTD. Granted, they're not the best AGM's, but you have to draw the line on cost somewhere.

Done little more than add water (and nothing else) every month or so with past GC2's and have always had good luck. Hopefully the Flow-Rite will allow me to do that easily. Not sure I want to pay $80 more and also give up total Ah's with the 27 AGM's (if I can't fit the 31's).

Appreciate all your suggestions. Got a few weeks to decide. We'll see . . .

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used two of these in the TC. Now in the MH doing fine. (along with an 8D AGM) Mine are branded Stark, but same battery. Specs are on the UPG site.

Don't know if this is the best price, says free shipping which could matter.

Don't forget the extra deep in SOC you can go with these instead of 50% with GCs if you compare 225 AH with these for 200 it evens up.

http://www.bestconverter.com/UB121000-100-AH-Deep-Cycle-_p_293.html#.XF8sbUnsZpw

I also had two more batts to use with the TC to bank with the two AGMs inside, using the truck bed trick for the other two. Sometimes it was a pair of GC2s. ( I needed four batts for off grid for any length of time with no gen and not much sunshine for solar)

Janss

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used Flow-Rite Pro-Fill in a previous motorhome. Worked great! One of the best add-ons to RVing, if you need it.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 01:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

The flow rite is a MUST have regardless of battery height. Makes it so much easier to maintain the water level. Doug
Janss wrote:

I used Flow-Rite Pro-Fill in a previous motorhome. Worked great! One of the best add-ons to RVing, if you need it.
Thanks! Nice to know if I do decide to use the Flow-Rite with the GC2's.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a BWT system that works great. Couple years ago I swapped it onto my new set of batteries. Convenience is great, safety is priceless.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

bdosborn

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for reminding me it was time to water the batteries. I have the Flow-Rite RV2000 battery filler and it took longer to back the wife's car in and out of the garage than it did to water the batteries.

2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill Battery Water Maintainer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS