RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill Battery Water Maintainer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill Battery Water Maintainer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the FloRite on two 6v GC’s in the same size compartment... Took batteries out to examine for the first time in 3 1/2 years, and water levels were exactly correct - a must have!!

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much are you guys watering your batteries? I popped the cap off the ones in my truck today. Batteries have been in there for 9 months and all of the cells had plenty of water. I guess I better check the ones in the trailer, huh?

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

How much are you guys watering your batteries? I popped the cap off the ones in my truck today. Batteries have been in there for 9 months and all of the cells had plenty of water. I guess I better check the ones in the trailer, huh?

Are your truck batteries maintenance free? Most Auto/truck batteries are. If you have RV/Deep Cycle batteries in your truck, that is not a good idea. Doug

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a flow-Rite Pro-Fill for my 2 batteries for a while. Worked great until one of the little plastic nipples from cell to cell broke and spilled acid all over the battery compartment. What a mess and some damage too. This could be because I have a truck camper and go on some pretty rough back roads with considerable bumps and vibration. If you have a Pro-Fill, check it often. I went to AGM's, no more worries.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not a full maintainer system, but I recently installed these maintenance caps. It lets me check water level at a glance, and add water using a bottle and hose when needed. Only cost around $30-40 IIRC.

But what caught my attention in the OP is how little space you have above the batteries. I'm not sure you have space for any of the maintenance systems. Just so you are aware and check out the specs before you buy.

[image]

[image]

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you follow the instructions for equalizing every 30 days here at 5.3, you have to haul out the batteries anyway, so not clear what the point of the supposed advantage of the watering system would be for not having to haul them out. Watering is 4.2

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

Plus, this makes it seem you have to fool around with the system fairly often (eg, make sure filters not plogged up) so it is not really easier than just watering the batteries as usual IMO. However I don't have any experience with it to say for sure if it saves work.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TRJN0148_HLSnkTubingMan.pdf

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
See Profile for House electronics set-up.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

The flow rite is a MUST have regardless of battery height. Makes it so much easier to maintain the water level. Doug
Janss wrote:

I used Flow-Rite Pro-Fill in a previous motorhome. Worked great! One of the best add-ons to RVing, if you need it.
Thanks! Nice to know if I do decide to use the Flow-Rite with the GC2's.

Or just put a tablespoon or two of mineral oil, ThermOil if you have extra money you need to spend, in each cell and never add water again.

It also prevents most of the corrosion around the battery, something that's been the norm in small aircraft for decades and decades.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

If you follow the instructions for equalizing every 30 days here at 5.3, you have to haul out the batteries anyway, so not clear what the point of the supposed advantage of the watering system would be for not having to haul them out. Watering is 4.2

https://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/TrojanBattery_UsersGuide.pdf

Does anyone actually do that? Maybe the extremely AR among us. For the restuvus, the charge controller programming does the equalization every 30 days or whatever is programmed. The price of 2 or 4 6vdc LA batteries is not worth a heck of a lot of fooling around every month. Especially since they have proven to last very well with minimal TLC.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Note that the charge controller (solar) or a converter that does that routine, only brings the battery to 14.x for a quick shot.

Trojan is using "equalize" properly, and in their specs says do that at 16.2 volts. (which is not possible with most RV's as equipped)

It can be done with one of these though (various amps sizes available) -- adjustable pot from 13-16.5v.

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/pro........er-converter-battery-charger-w-led-light

Ignore the spec sheet numbers which are all wrong! [emoticon] It will pull more like 12 amps from a portable gen.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine (EPever) will do up to 17VDC for up to 180 minutes, every 28th day of the month. But I'm too chicken to boil them that much.

So I use the canned program for flooded LA, which is 14.8v for 120 minutes.

Considering these batteries are over 10 years old, and for all but the last 6 months never saw more than 13.6v from my WFCO, I would say they have done pretty good with no TLC whatsoever. They are using a lot more water now with the solar controller doing the charging and the converter turned off. I don't feel compelled to do anything extreme in an attempt to eek out more life, from these, or the next set. And I recognize that I am on borrowed time with these.

These are Interstate not Trojan.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill Battery Water Maintainer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS