RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: TT ? Camper? Fema?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT ? Camper? Fema?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
eddie85

gulfport ms

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 33’ Cavilar for several years now and i have to say this rig is nice for the value. We bought this ( Fema disaster) around 2012. we havent used it for camping as of yet, the first year we lived in it then its been siting in the yard ever since then. we bought the trailer for $3,800ish with taxes. after buying a few items such as a 30 amp extented extention cord ( not prebuilt), weather tie down straps, a sewage hose, and a few other small items. The trailer wasnt fully repaired or even refurbashed. they fixed a few minor issues, installed new lock and cleaned the inside super well! To be honest i havent considered the trailer for camping untill a few months ago, all lights, a/c, heating and even the refridgerator still works. The trailer has been sitting in the same spot since it arrived. Planning on getting a new battery, new propane tanks, and new tires. i know theres no blk/gray tanks so when traveling ill plan on using locations that have these type hook ups. will be using a 2018 chevy crew 5.3 2wd any suggestions what might be benifial on a small journey? Ive seen so many people talk badly about Fema campers so those mean comments and be said quitly and lets not bash someone trying to get out and about haha. Ive gotta say i grew extremly fond of this rough little gem.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 11:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OOOOooohhhhhhh way above my pay grade but want to see how you do it.

JM2¢

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What does that thing weigh? Just wondering how well the 5.3 will do with it. Also check the hitch weight to see that it doesn't exceed your truck's hitch rating. I would definitely use a weight distribution hitch with built-in sway control, like the Equal-i-zer, but that's another 90 lbs added onto the hitch weight. Be sure to have the wheel bearings serviced, after sitting still for so long they're liable to be pitted.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will need holding tanks, especially a black tank. It's rare that a site has the right pitch for a sewer hose to just drain naturally. Using the sewer without the normal setup is likely to be a nasty headache.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

eddie85

gulfport ms

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what ive read its a range from 4,600lbs up to 5,000lbs so im thinking add another 1,000lbs for gear and supplys. For the weight i am going to buy a few things for truck along with a sway bar / weight distrubution system from uhaul. Black tank sounds amazing but knowing that it will be expensive to mod up the camper so that may come later, or a fabercator friend lol

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Black water tanks can be bought for under $200 with free shipping. I think that a decent handyman can get the tank installed for you.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> TT ? Camper? Fema?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS