|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Critters - Just a Rant

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Id suggest to Spray Rust check oil Undercoating on all UNDERSIDE..it stays wet for long time so no criters will like to crawl over it..

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 10:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When they get in the engine bay, they need room to sit and chew. I filled the space below the wiring harness and other area's with cheap footballs from Walmart. You can deflate them to fit in just about any problem area. The squirrels even chewed all the insulation off the battery cables, so I put a deflated football on top of the battery too.

Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. 2017 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS. Wife and daughter. Three cats which we must obey.

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I like the squirrel pole idea, but there are way too many squirrels. I'd never even put a dent in the population.

No Jimmy, in the title he say a "Bazillion" It works good unless you got more than that. The idea is you string 5-6 of those 110 Konibear's on each 8 foot 2x4. You could get 10-12 per day. You'll clean em out in no time.

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks all for the replies.

There are a couple of feral cats on the property - I see them on my security cameras almost daily. We have some fox, too. If not for them I'd bet things would be a lot worse.

I do need to seal up the outside openings. There are only a couple that are big enough for a critter to get through - the biggest being where the power cord goes in. I've been meaning to do something with it for a while - I'm pretty sure that's where the mice are getting in. I know that's where the ants get in, but that's a whole 'nother rant.

Deflated footballs sounds like a good if-you-can't-beat-em-join-em plan. Give them something to chew on. I'd just have to remember it. Also spraying a lubricant to deter them sounds like it has promise. I'd like to think if I go out there and start it up more regularly they'd not hang out there. But, counting the RV, I have 7 vehicles. Except for the motorhome, none sit for more than a week. I have more cars than drivers but I make a point not to let them sit. Even so, every single car has busted open acorns and droppings on top of the intake manifold. It's crazy. So far no chewed wires, though.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

T18skyguy

Eugene, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They won't chew the footballs. They need more resistance to wear down those front teeth. The footballs just get in their way. With your electrical cord, make sure it drops straight down so it's harder for them to get a grip. Then around that opening where the cord goes in, pack it with bronze wool. It's like steel wool but won't rust. They won't touch it they don't like metal in their mouths.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Critters - Just a Rant
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS