RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Any experience renting out your motorhome?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any experience renting out your motorhome?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would never rent out my personal RV to strangers. A big advantage of RVing is having a bed, bathroom and living area that hasn’t been “soiled” by a bunch of strangers like a motel room.

Renting out can be profitable I’m sure. If I were younger, to have a some RVs to place strategically around central Florida could be lucrative. Easily get $1000 a week.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Tyler0215

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rented my TT once, to a friend . Never again.

micpib1

Trinity County, Northern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we were traveling off-road in Death Valley, in our Jeep Wrangler 4X4, I was feeling quite accomplished with my little Jeep after finishing a fairly rough and steep road. As we got to the end of this dirt/rock road, I caught up with a guy in a Rental Class C that had just accomplished the same road. I decided then, no one else would be using my hard earned Motorhome. JH

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

micpib1 wrote:

While we were traveling off-road in Death Valley, in our Jeep Wrangler 4X4, I was feeling quite accomplished with my little Jeep after finishing a fairly rough and steep road. As we got to the end of this dirt/rock road, I caught up with a guy in a Rental Class C that had just accomplished the same road. I decided then, no one else would be using my hard earned Motorhome. JH

Reminds me of a question someone posted on the forum several years ago.
Q: What is the difference between an All Terrain Vehicle and a rental RV?
A: The rental RV can go anywhere.

And there is the possibility of Bed Bugs. [emoticon]

punomatic

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's another thing to consider. I had a friend who rented out his sailboat. He was audited by the IRS every year he did. If you want to rent it out, I don't think you can do it safely without making it a business venture so you can get proper insurance, etc. If you do that the IRS will hound you. YMMV

DW me, and Lulu (the Moxie with moxie!)
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

chasloew

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks punomatic! It seems that the agencies provide some insurance, but I'd check on that and possibly set up an LLC, depending on my attorney's advice. I've filed both business income and rental property taxes for years. It's no fun but it boils down to: keep records and don't cheat.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know someone who has a small RV rental business. He makes enough money to keep doing it. However, he has about eight different rigs of various sizes. He only keeps them up to 5 years because they are trashed by then. I saw one that was on it's last six months in the rental fleet. It looked older and more worn at 5 years than my clipper does at 43 years.

I wouldn't do it. My logic is that I don't want to have a trip planned for July, rent it out in May and then have to spend the next several weeks repairing damage done by the renter just so I can go on my trip.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

punomatic wrote:

Here's another thing to consider. I had a friend who rented out his sailboat. He was audited by the IRS every year he did. If you want to rent it out, I don't think you can do it safely without making it a business venture so you can get proper insurance, etc. If you do that the IRS will hound you. YMMV

That must have been a long time ago. The current administration has gutted the IRS.

They are a shadow of their former selves.

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 03:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chasloew wrote:

I have rented out apartments for years, so I know there's both good and bad renters. I'd start with a used one for sure. The rental brokers indicate that they provide insurance but I'll check for sure. Thanks! -- Charlie

nearly all people know how an apartment works. the same can't be said for operating a RV.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know a few places that have rentals...but what they do is keep an eye on the used market, buy cheap and just do enough to keep them functional. They also dump them (often on the renters who want to get their own).

This works because they keep costs way down. To buy a new or even nice used and it becomes a losing proposition.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any experience renting out your motorhome?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS