RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Any experience renting out your motorhome?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any experience renting out your motorhome?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend rented their class C out last year, early summer. Got it back with everything above the roof and roof membrane replaced just in time for storage last fall.

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

apr67

Tallahassee, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm hoping to rent ours, but not for folks to take trips in. College football is big here, and I would take it out to the parking lot, set it up and show them how to use it. Hell for enough money I will even stock and provision it with beer.

2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

apr67 wrote:

I'm hoping to rent ours, but not for folks to take trips in. College football is big here, and I would take it out to the parking lot, set it up and show them how to use it. Hell for enough money I will even stock and provision it with beer.

I'm trying to envision this. In a parking lot, what exactly can you show them that they would pay money to learn? From my experience, the things people want help with are: backing up a trailer and emptying black/grey tanks. The rest is usually handled by the seller/dealer when they buy an RV.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 01:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He's going to "show them" how to use the lights, toilet, the stereo and maybe the grill. They aren't going anywhere and they aren't dumping the tanks, it is a home base for tailgating.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

He's going to "show them" how to use the lights, toilet, the stereo and maybe the grill. They aren't going anywhere and they aren't dumping the tanks, it is a home base for tailgating.

Dave

Ah, so he wasn't serious about charging them to "show them" these things in that sense. My joke meter blanked out on that one... [emoticon]

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn’t read that he was charging them to show them, he was renting it to them for the weekend and would show them how RV St stems work.

Not a bad idea. We tailgated UF games for years.

I’ll bet you could get $750 a weekend, more for big games.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 05:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chasloew wrote:

I’m a newbie with a question about rentals. Years ago, my wife and I spent over a month traveling in a friend’s motorhome. Now that we’re retired, we’d like to have our own for several trips a year. To help with expenses, we’d like to use a peer-to-peer rental service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. I’ve read glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made, but I’m sure they’re biased. I’m also aware that many advise against this without having done it.

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie

I had rental property once and that was worst experience of my life..
With FEW small exeptions,
Renters dont care about others property
Never would rent or let even my best friend use my RV.

chasloew

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"I had rental property once and that was worst experience of my life..
With FEW small exeptions,
Renters dont care about others property
Never would rent or let even my best friend use my RV."

I've had rental properties for years. Yes, I had a few problems, but now I have renters who help shovel the snow, mow the lawn, weed the garden and take out trash. I try to treat them well and they treat me well in return.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you can compare long-term renters, i.e., house or apartment renters, to one-time renters that you would rent an RV to. If you're going to compare I think you need to be looking at motel/hotel room renters. Plus RV's are terribly fragile when it comes to their infrastructure like plumbing and electronics.

If you have little money or care invested in the RV, then renting it out is not a big deal. OTOH if you've spent $40,000 on your RV and you plan on traveling in it, renting it out is a recipe for disappointment. Especially if you can't do a lot of handy man and repair stuff yourself.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

chasloew

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

I don't think you can compare long-term renters, i.e., house or apartment renters, to one-time renters that you would rent an RV to. If you're going to compare I think you need to be looking at motel/hotel room renters. Plus RV's are terribly fragile when it comes to their infrastructure like plumbing and electronics.

If you have little money or care invested in the RV, then renting it out is not a big deal. OTOH if you've spent $40,000 on your RV and you plan on traveling in it, renting it out is a recipe for disappointment. Especially if you can't do a lot of handy man and repair stuff yourself.

Thanks, You make a good point about long-term renters! My neighbor rents an apartment on air-b-n-b and loves it. If I had a vacancy, I would try that also. I would rather travel in an RV that I had rented out and maintained than rent one someone else had maintained.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any experience renting out your motorhome?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS