RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Any experience renting out your motorhome?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any experience renting out your motorhome?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you really want to try this I might suggest buying a Former Rental.

You will get a well maintained RV that has been that market and most likely built for it. They also are reasonably priced.

Having a Former Rental myself I always try to talk to other owners when I see them,what I have found in many instances is that they have rented them from people that own them and put them in places like RV Share and Outdoorsy.

One couple I talked to said the person that they rented from had 4 Majestics,they are Former Rentals,that they listed with RV Share.

Just another way to look at this idea of yours. Good Luck.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chasloew wrote:

I’m a newbie with a question about rentals. Years ago, my wife and I spent over a month traveling in a friend’s motorhome. Now that we’re retired, we’d like to have our own for several trips a year. To help with expenses, we’d like to use a peer-to-peer rental service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. I’ve read glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made, but I’m sure they’re biased. I’m also aware that many advise against this without having done it.

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what[emoticon] makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie

Would you rent your new(er) car or truck?

If you need -or- want to rent your RV you have a Junk Wish - 'cause that's what you will end up with.. [emoticon]

~

chasloew

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/19 10:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would you rent your new(er) car or truck?

If you need -or- want to rent your RV you have a Junk Wish - 'cause that's what you will end up with.. [emoticon]

~
Please tell me about your experiences and if you can give a breakdown of income vs. expenses, it would be great! Which agencies did you use?

Tom in Tulsa

Tulsa OK

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 06:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rent out our class A when we are not using it. Outdoorsy charges the renter extra for the insurance, and it is full coverage. They also screen the renter.We want it to cover our expenses and depreciation. So far so good.We have not had any problems except for thing going wrong in the RV, but nothing major.

2008 Forest River Georgetown 357; F53 Triton V10 gas engine; Alison trans.
Onan 5000 generator

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/19 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, have you actually rented out your motorhome at this point? I ask because in another thread you ask about insurance from a company who rents out RV's.

apr67

Tallahassee, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/12/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

I didn’t read that he was charging them to show them, he was renting it to them for the weekend and would show them how RV St stems work.

Not a bad idea. We tailgated UF games for years.

I’ll bet you could get $750 a weekend, more for big games.

Yep, you got it.

Rented it last week (I only took delivery of the RV 2 days before I rented it). It was used for the judges to meet at the Red Hills Horse Trials. A little sand on the tires, and a little change in my pocket. Already have it rented for 2 football games.

2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like one of those deals where everything goes great...until it doesn't.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/16/19 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chasloew wrote:

I’m a newbie with a question about rentals. Years ago, my wife and I spent over a month traveling in a friend’s motorhome. Now that we’re retired, we’d like to have our own for several trips a year. To help with expenses, we’d like to use a peer-to-peer rental service like Outdoorsy or RVshare. I’ve read glowing reports on their sites about the money that can be made, but I’m sure they’re biased. I’m also aware that many advise against this without having done it.

We’d like to get unbiased advice and experiences -- both pro and con -- from those who have actually used these services. We’re in a mid-sized city in the Midwest. We think a small used motorhome that sleeps at least 4 might be good, but want to know what makes the most sense financially and what potential there is. If you've done this, we'd really like to hear from you.

Thanks, Charlie

No way. I take pride in my TT and there is no way I would give it to a stranger who likely has no experience...towing, backing, etc. It’s my loss through wear and tear on equipment, systems, and tires. That guy has no stake in my game, so why should he care? I see no positives in this scenario.

No thank you!

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Any experience renting out your motorhome?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS