RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Finding the right trailer for a couple

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Finding the right trailer for a couple

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
gwandsh

Portland

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking for our first TT. Probably a used unit, under 4500# dry weight. Watching Craigslist and some FS sites, we are totally overwhelmed by the options available.
We want something that has a decent sized bathroom (no tub), and queen walk around bed. What we don't need are bunks and fold-out couches - in other words, we don't wish to sleep more than two.
Of course we have a list of features we'd like, but the purpose of this post is to ask if there are certain models that cater to folks looking for a lightweight "couples" trailer.
Advice appreciated.
Cheers

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For something that has been around a while and pretty available in that size and weight, Try the Coachmen Freedom express 192rb or a similar model. To be more comfortable for longer trips you may want to look at the 25' boxes with the recliners in the rear, all brands sell a variation of this floorplan.
Your tow vehicle will be your limiting factor if you already have one.

wiskeyVI

All Over

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the same boat. I'm leaning to the 25' range. I think the bunk areas if there, could come in handy for extra storage. DW doesn't want to go small, but I want something small enough to use boondocking.

06 Dodge 1T, CC, CRD
09 Grand Junction 335 5er

TxTwoSome

Kingwood, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 04:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You Might Want To Check Out The Jayco 24RL

We Have The Older Version 23RLSW And For The Two Of Us Is Great.

I Think We Would Have been Hard Pressed To Find A Better Model For Just The Two Of us.

Bruce & Cindy (Chihuahua's Rambo & Chuy)
2016 Jayco 23RLSW
2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Blue Ox SwayPro

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Everybody has different wants, needs and styles.

We like sitting and reading and watching tv shows and movies so a comfortable couch or recliners facing a larger tv would be a requirement.

We never use a dinette: waste of space Prefer table and chairs or nothing at all and eat outside or use TV trays.

An 80” bed is important too if you’re tall. Many are 75”.

You might start with an older clean unit and modify it.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since this is your first, I would visit as many dealers as possible with large TT inventories looking at all the variations you can. And there are a lot. You really need to spend some time in multiple units of different sizes and floorplans to see what will work for you. When you narrow it down to what you like, then you can start a search for similar used units in good condition.

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Since this is your first, I would visit as many dealers as possible with large TT inventories looking at all the variations you can. And there are a lot. You really need to spend some time in multiple units of different sizes and floorplans to see what will work for you. When you narrow it down to what you like, then you can start a search for similar used units in good condition.

^^^^This. Best advice. We looked for over a year, piled through small, large, single and double axle, chatted with a host of salesmen. Some knew things, others didn't.

After poking around several dealerships, forums like this are really your best source of info going forward. The folks "living it" are not trying to sell you, just sharing good info.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are in Portland, Or.-take a look at Nash & Arctic Fox models. They are made in La Grande, Or., by Northwood, Mfg.
http://northwoodmfg.com/

04 F250,CC, 4x4, Dsl., LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Cmpr Pkg, Off Rd Pkg

07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad Riv B.C.
17 Chev/CLS C F.R. Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I wanted a TT that was easy to use for 2 also. We wanted a comfortable place to sit, decent sized bath (no tub) light weight, queen bed, no slides, & as many windows as possible in the seating area. We found that a Viking 17FQ fit the bill for us. We did not want a larger TT because we own a tree farm with a private campsite and limited amount of parking for all of the people that camp there over several weekends during the summer. We also boondock whenever possible throughout the west on BLM land and like to be able to get around easily.

Bob & Dawn Married 31 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/19 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the old boat rule:
6 for drinks
4 for dinner
2 for overnight.
Most traditional trailers are pretty good for two. Now a lot of people seem to want to sleep 8-10. Not in a million years.

I like the trailers made in Oregon a lot. Good ones in the 22-26 foot range.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Finding the right trailer for a couple
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS