|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Setting Up Tow Vehicle w/hitch, Etc

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
MudChucker

Niverville Manitoba

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, buy the wedge kit and put the plug inside the bed, save your tail gate from the wire rub rash.

2017 Cougar
2015 Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins Aisin transmission

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Super_Dave wrote:

garyp4951 wrote:

Don't forget the wiring harness for inside the bed. etrailer.com

I've always used the bumper plug for mine.

HA, I used to do that also. Then one day coming off a long offramp I had NO brakes. My cable had pulled out somehow. NOT a good feeling.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Al H

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

good point on inside box wiring and receptacle. We have a shop truck that we pull a gooseneck trailer but we always have the tailgate off so no big deal plugging in. With tailgate the cord would have to be long

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Al H wrote:

Looking at buying a 3500 Ram Mega Cab with short box and wondering if this may be problem towing a fifth wheel trailer. Is a special hitch required so the cab does not hit the trailer? Also about how much would it cost to set up the truck with hitch, wiring, etc? I would install myself but what is an approximate cost for hitch and related parts? The truck does not have the goose neck hitch set up option, only the class 4 hitch and wiring.
Thanks!

Buying New or used?
If buying new get 5th wheel prep, you have pucks and wiring in bed already. Mega cab only has a 6' bed, as a Park Host have seen several with dented cabs, and broken rear windows.
If buying used you may find one with those options. If used how new, Ram changed most of their GVWR numbers big time in 2013, something to think of. The link below will help with the hunt new or used, it will provide the build sheet with GVWR, axle ratio, and transmission besides other information.

Ram VIN decoder

donn0128 wrote:

Sadly with the mega cab configuration you end up with a short short bed. Once you get past the weight issues trying to find a hitch that might work could be a choir. The 3500 mega realisticslly has the load capacity of a quad 2500. Picking carefully a mega can be a good tow vehicle.

Donn, since 2013 the Mega cab 3500 DRW has a GVWR of 14,000#, I know before 2013 the GVWR was like 10,500!!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie
2001 Dodge 2500 4X4, 5.9 Cummins, NV4500, 3.55's, Pacbrake PRXB, DS Power Puck,RV 275's Bilstein 5100's, 313K miles.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MudChucker wrote:

Yeah, buy the wedge kit and put the plug inside the bed, save your tail gate from the wire rub rash.

Or from having the cord slip over the corner of the bed and rip out the 7-way from the bumper. Had this happen TWICE with my GN trailer. After the 2nd time, I had my truck in the hitch shop the next week for the in-bed plug.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Setting Up Tow Vehicle w/hitch, Etc
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS