|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cummins 5.9 Filters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

I want the best filter for sure. Thanks

What about servicing the transmission, since I just bought it?

Get someone to do a complete fluid "EXCHANGE" and adjust the inner and outer bands. Or do it your self as it's not hard to do at all.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of you guys here recommended G---'s for the filters.

Placed my order yesterday and late today got an email.... "on backorder".

Will cancel the order in the morning when they open again.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

Some of you guys here recommended G---'s for the filters.

Placed my order yesterday and late today got an email.... "on backorder".

Will cancel the order in the morning when they open again.

Is Geno’s a secret???

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

twodownzero wrote:

Gulfcoast wrote:

My question would be that if Cummins had wanted a 5 or smaller micron filter, would they have required one by Dodge?

Cummins sold the engines to Chrysler with no warranty. Cummins had therefore no interest in what people were running.

The engine is mounted with a Cummins/FleetGuard filter right from Cummins.

Mounted to an engine sold with no warranty.

Was not disputing that! Cummins found out that a better filtration system was needed with the injectors being damaged due to needing smaller micron filtration.

This reminds me, mine could use a new filter. Ordered one on Amazon, the Baldwin.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Gulfcoast wrote:

I want the best filter for sure. Thanks

What about servicing the transmission, since I just bought it?

Get someone to do a complete fluid "EXCHANGE" and adjust the inner and outer bands. Or do it your self as it's not hard to do at all.

You have to drop the transmission pan to access one of the adjustments for the bands, not the most pleasant of jobs. You will also need a quality low range torque wrench. Best to do this job when changing the transmission filter which is also available from Amazon.

I bought my Ram with 62k miles, it shifted kind of clunky. I dropped the pan, changed the filter and adjusted the bands. I also replaced the pan with one with a drain plug. I filled with Castrol ATF+4 (Amazon) and drove for thirty minutes, drained off 7 quarts and refilled. 100% improved shifting performance. I now splash and fill 7 quarts of ATF every other oil change. really simple.

Can't say why, but many on the forum discourage using one of the transmission flushing machines.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/19 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Can't say why, but many on the forum discourage using one of the transmission flushing machines."

TRUE, but I did not recommend "Flushing" I recommended "EXCHANGE" BIG difference.

VERY easy to do and you get virtually all the old fluid out.

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

This reminds me, mine could use a new filter. Ordered one on Amazon, the Baldwin.

Amazon is where I get mine now. There is a Filter Service warehouse that strictly sells Baldwin that I pass daily during my commute but their prices are so high. I can get 3 of the Baldwin BT7349 oil filters I use on Amazon for just about the price of two that they sell. Same with the Fuel Filters.

Heck I just bought Rotella from Amazon [emoticon]

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Glacier Diesel Power 2 micron filter installed on a 03, 5.9 Cummins, 225k miles with stock injectors.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/19 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyp4951 wrote:

[image]

Glacier Diesel Power 2 micron filter installed on a 03, 5.9 Cummins, 225k miles with stock injectors.

Yep proof proper filtration works!

mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/19 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diesel fuel Filtration requirements for a common rail high pressure system are much difference than the requirements for a low pressure mechanical pump system. Both systems are severely damaged by very small amounts of free water in the fuel.

High pressure systems are damaged easily by ~5-7 micron particulate. Especially if emulsified water is also present.

If you want an eye opening read - go to the Bosch website and research cp3/cp4 series pump systems in regards to fuel specifications.

Caterpillar a few years ago did some extensive studies on diesel fuel filtration needs of a high pressure common rail system. These studies are available on the internet with some searching....

On fuel filtration - you cannot get hung up on the "micron rating". It really is a meaningless number unless you have a few more facts. Like the Beta ratio of the filter. Or the nominal and absolute micron ratings.

Most don't understand that the high pressure fuel system really has two contaminate sources that take differing filter media to minimize the risk of injection system failure.

Particulate

Water

The filter in the previous post, if a FF5320, is a 5 micron @ 98.7% efficiency as tested to SAE J 1985 standard. It also does not protect against water.

* This post was edited 02/16/19 06:05pm by mapguy *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Cummins 5.9 Filters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS