RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Buying 1st Travel Trailer Go Large or Not?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying 1st Travel Trailer Go Large or Not?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ride S40T wrote:

You're going to hear varying degrees of good advice on RV forums and A LOT of solid recommendations based on years of experience.

After considering any or everything read here, please please go out to one of the reputable sites like Shereline and run all the TV and TT specs. Find a worksheet that uses all the specs all the way down to the wheelbase, do not use a simple "pulling capacity" worksheet produced by TV manufacturers.

"Can" you haul something that big behind a 1500 (any make)? Sure. Will it be unsafe or kill the truck? Possibly. Run the numbers, even those wheelbase specs are important. Let the science behind towing be your first guide. Then decide on a TT within those parameters.

Lastly, please know dry weight & tongue weight issued by TT mfgrs can be a little optimistic on the low side. We used a tongue scale to find out our hitch weight is about 100lbs more than advertised.

Can you supply the links or the websites that you are referencing that take wheelbase and other information into account. I did a search and could not find one and it would be great if people on the forum could look that up for some additional information when trying to decide on TV/trailer combinations.

Thanks,

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This may give you some help. Remember..this is on paper. Real world, first time towing could easily be a constant white knuckle experience with that size trailer.
What can I tow?

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MarkRBD2019 wrote:

Thanks I appreciate all the comments, keep them coming. I need to check the payload of my Ram but it sounds like this idea is going down like the Titanic. Sounds like I need a lot less TT or a lot more truck.

Yep, You do. For that TT a much larger TV will be needed. It's heavy, and it's long. Approaching 350 territory..

And another thought. Where are you planning on camping? A TT that long often has trouble finding a CG that can take it in. Twisty mountain roads become a problem as well.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

MarkRBD2019

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Folks, just so you will know, I appreciate each and every comment you have made and based on your more experienced views I am rethinking my plan for a TT and considering a 28' to 30' box instead and a rental tryout.
I dont know anything about renting a TT, any advice on that? Think based on the comments that have been posted, I better have some insurance on the rental when if I get one. LOL

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CaLBaR wrote:

Ride S40T wrote:

You're going to hear varying degrees of good advice on RV forums and A LOT of solid recommendations based on years of experience.

After considering any or everything read here, please please go out to one of the reputable sites like Shereline and run all the TV and TT specs. Find a worksheet that uses all the specs all the way down to the wheelbase, do not use a simple "pulling capacity" worksheet produced by TV manufacturers.

"Can" you haul something that big behind a 1500 (any make)? Sure. Will it be unsafe or kill the truck? Possibly. Run the numbers, even those wheelbase specs are important. Let the science behind towing be your first guide. Then decide on a TT within those parameters.

Lastly, please know dry weight & tongue weight issued by TT mfgrs can be a little optimistic on the low side. We used a tongue scale to find out our hitch weight is about 100lbs more than advertised.

Can you supply the links or the websites that you are referencing that take wheelbase and other information into account. I did a search and could not find one and it would be great if people on the forum could look that up for some additional information when trying to decide on TV/trailer combinations.

Thanks,

Just a few tow capacity Links. Google, be our friend.

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-trailer-weight-tt.shtml

https://www.huskytow.com/towing-calculator/

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwiSiKGvqrXgAhUO24MKHYk-A70QFjAAegQIChAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.popthetop.com%2Ffiles%2FTowingCapacityWorksheet.xls&usg=AOvVaw2fZsU5Xv3ayY7Zcblc9aui

And pulled from the site we’re on: “Rule of thumb (110” wheelbase for 20’ trailer + 4” additional wheelbase for each additional 1’ of trailer)”

Up and down these sheets, our 1500 Sierra cleared the specs for our 250URS (actual length 27.9 ft) trailer that weighs in just over 6K loaded Allows us the comfort margins we sought (about 30%-40% buffer). Wheelbase for the truck just made it with the rule of thumb, by 1.5” so no buffer there. And it seems everything gets a bit heavier when we hit the scales…just sayin’. Best time to do the math is before buying.

Ahh, I'm still a rookie. But I read a lot. I research for hours just reading about water heaters, towing woes, boon docking, winterization, etc. in an effort to catch up.

Hope the small bit of info helps.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the spreadsheet that started it all for us. A little simpler. Green checkmark, GTG.

https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/comment-page-5/

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 10:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why so big? Large family? Toys? I would try to stay in at 25/30' for better towing and easier campsite fitment.

Maybe rent something for a few days/week before you custom build an RV. Very easy to get carried away on all the 'must haves' that just aren't.

For best towing experience I recommend keeping the trailer GVWR within the tow rating. Forget dry weight unless you plan to just haul empty trailers for a living.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

babock

Los Angeles, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We decided to stay under 25'. Our trailer is 24'11" but it has 2 slides so it's very large inside. There have been many campsites we go to where a longer trailer wouldn't fit well.

315RLTSinPA

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/19 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

Good luck attempting to tow that monster. Even with a 3500 36 feet behind it would not be a good fit.

People crack me up. We have a 38ft travel trailer and it tows like a dream.

yillb

Texas :)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/19 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sorry you have to deal with all the people who can't do basic math. If the trailer is within the limitations that your truck is capable of, then so be it.

I noticed a couple of people were saying don't pay attention to the dry weight.... ffs, sorry for them too. The dry weight of the trailer is the most important weight you can look at. This is how you get an idea of how much the trailer weighs before you add propane, water, goods, etc. Since it has a GVWR the logic is you must know the exact weight of everything going into the trailer. Take your try weight, and add all that additional weight you added to the dry weight. Then you have your weight. Why anyone would tell you dry weight is basically useless, just can't do basic math. Now, your truck, with a 10K towing capacity. IF your trailer weighs 8k dry, let's just ASSUME you manage to add 1000 pounds worth of ****, so it gets up to 9k, you're still within your limits. That will put you at around 800 - 1000 pounds in tongue weight. You didn't mention your payload ( or at least I did not see it ), if you have an extra 1000 pounds of payload on a ram, kudos to you. The only thing i see here is " not doable " is going to be your payload, and that's even debatable, I don't know what your payload is, though I'm assuming it's somehwere around 1600 / 1800. After adding in kids / animals / wive(s), what's left?. Everything else is within your limitations. you have a long trailer, and that ram has a short wheelbase compared to other full 1 ton trucks. However, they don't sell trucks and say " Gotta keep the length below X ". Have fun!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Buying 1st Travel Trailer Go Large or Not?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS