RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: How's the mountain driving...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> How's the mountain driving...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 05:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

Terryallan wrote:

goufgators wrote:

Planning to go basically NNW from Clayton, Ga. to Sweetwater, Tn.I know, according to the map, that some of that area is mountainous but was wondering if there are steep grades. I don't mind mountain driving but try to avoid long, steep climbs and descents. If you know the area, will appreciate your response and advice.

IF you are planning on running interstate highways most of the way. Be advised. Interstates have a Max grade of I believe 7%. So you should never see anything steeper on the interstate. And on those max grades they have a slow lane up, and down.

Do remember going up is much easier than coming down. Be sure to gear down, let the engine do most of the braking, EVEN if that means going all the way down to 1st, or 2nd gear. Come down slow. You will be fine.

I believe that is true of the East. Some of the Interstate Highways out West can a little steeper than that.

Actually I was wrong (looked it up) The standard max grade is 6% with 7% exceptions for mountain highways with a speedlimit of under 60 MPH. there is one in Vale, one in Texas. NC has several at 6%. From all I found, 7 is the max on interstates.

However once off the interstate, the grades get much steeper. In the west, and in the East. Some in the Blue Ridge MTs are more than 10% as are some in the Rockies. But generally those are pretty twisty, and have low speed limits

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If in doubt go to the Federal Highway Administration website and look up the standards for design of each class of U.S or Interstate numbered roads.

I believe you will find 6% with a 7% exception to be correct for Interstates.

I believe it is 7% with a one mile limit and then 10% for the exception on numbered U.S routes. Runaway ramps are required on 7% or greater.

NEVER use a runaway ramp except in an extreme emergency. You will end up paying for two tow trucks and a bulldozer to come dig you out.

A

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> How's the mountain driving...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS