|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will easy start allow me to run AC on 2200 watt generator?

I see Yamaha has a brand new 2200 generator that looks fantastic. How are the Y's compared to the Honda's?

How bad are the cheap Sam's Club units? They are higher rated then I expected to see.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 11:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Qualified maybe.

How hard is converter working to recharge your battery? Are water heater and fridge control boards on? How many lights are on?

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can likely start it, but then it's the job of keeping it running that will really work the gen hard.

* This post was edited 02/10/19 11:48am by 2oldman *

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 12:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

. . . I see Yamaha has a brand new 2200 generator that looks fantastic. How are the Y's compared to the Honda's? . . .
Yamaha has a fuel gauge. Honda doesn't. IMO, it goes downhill from there.

Honda EU2200i has an OHC 121cc engine vs. the new Yamaha's EF2200iS 79cc OHV engine. IMO, an OHC engine is an inherently better, more efficient design. The Yamaha's much smaller 79cc engine is going to be working much harder (more wear and tear) to produce the same 1800/2200 watts.

Honda weighs 8.7 lbs. less than the Yamaha (dry weight 46.5 vs. 55.2).

The Honda is rated 53-62 db (1/4 to full load); the new Yamaha, 57-65 db (1/4 to full load). For some folks, 3-4 db is a very noticeable difference.

The one spec that neither Honda or Yamaha advertises is inrush capability. The Honda 2xxx inverter generators have always had much better inrush capability than the Yamaha 2xxx generators in the past. Remains to be seen if Yamaha has improved the inrush capability of the EF2200iS.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 12:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People are always quick to post their answers without knowing the question. Is the OP able and willing to do the energy management required to use a marginal generator? Where will the generator be used? If noise is not a big concern, a Champion 3500/4000 watt unit for under $300 will run the AC with no problem, for instance. For all other questions, the answer is, "Honda, or multiple Hondas".

I have owned and operated dozens of generators over the years and cannot simplify the answer to just one brand or model like some of our members do. I don't happen to think a 2200 watt generator is big enough for the application. Regardless of brand.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably work in mild conditions. Some combination of heat and altitude could have you without air.

Do people really run a generator 24/7 to keep the RV cool? I would need an extended run fuel tank or I would be rolling out to find hookups.

* This post was edited 02/10/19 01:00pm by time2roll *

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

philh wrote:

. . . I see Yamaha has a brand new 2200 generator that looks fantastic. How are the Y's compared to the Honda's? . . .
Yamaha has a fuel gauge. Honda doesn't. IMO, it goes downhill from there.

Honda EU2200i has an OHC 121cc engine vs. the new Yamaha's EF2200iS 79cc OHV engine. IMO, an OHC engine is an inherently better, more efficient design. The Yamaha's much smaller 79cc engine is going to be working much harder (more wear and tear) to produce the same 1800/2200 watts.

Honda weighs 8.7 lbs. less than the Yamaha (dry weight 46.5 vs. 55.2).

The Honda is rated 53-62 db (1/4 to full load); the new Yamaha, 57-65 db (1/4 to full load). For some folks, 3-4 db is a very noticeable difference.

The one spec that neither Honda or Yamaha advertises is inrush capability. The Honda 2xxx inverter generators have always had much better inrush capability than the Yamaha 2xxx generators in the past. Remains to be seen if Yamaha has improved the inrush capability of the EF2200iS.
TomG2 wrote:

People are always quick to post their answers without knowing the question . . .
Interesting comment. Please feel free to reread philh's question. The OP specifically asked for a comparison of the Yamaha EF2200iS and Honda EU2200i generators. I answered his question with a few manufacturers specs along with a few anecdotal comments about those specs. I simply compared the two generators. Nothing more, nothing less.

Please tell me how that qualifies as posting an answer without knowing the question.

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will a 2200 gen run a air conditioner. How high is up?? I run an 8k btu AC with a Honda 2000 under all conditions at all altitudes, even in the summer in Death Valley!

I have run a 13.5k roof air with a Honda 2000, it will start and run it in cool weather but is not dependable as altitude and temperature increase and completely fails when the temp is in the 80's.

Never tried a 15k unit but would not bother trying as even if it did work would be under brownout conditions and one would suffer an early death.

Now I think the OP has added a Micro Aire Easy Start to the equation. I will be following this with much interest as I am experimenting with a modified AC unit and thinking of adding the Micro Aire.

A gremlin is not letting me make this a link?

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Will easy start allow me to run AC on 2200 watt generator?

I see Yamaha has a brand new 2200 generator that looks fantastic. How are the Y's compared to the Honda's?

How bad are the cheap Sam's Club units? They are higher rated then I expected to see.

You don't provide enough information to get good answers.
Make and model of a/c, what temps and elevation will you be using it and what "cheap Sam's Club units" are you asking about?

When you say cheap Sam's Club units, don't know if you're talking about open frame contractor-style generators or inverter generators.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jjrbus wrote:

Will a 2200 gen run a air conditioner. How high is up?? I run an 8k btu AC with a Honda 2000 under all conditions at all altitudes, even in the summer in Death Valley!

I have run a 13.5k roof air with a Honda 2000, it will start and run it in cool weather but is not dependable as altitude and temperature increase and completely fails when the temp is in the 80's.

Never tried a 15k unit but would not bother trying as even if it did work would be under brownout conditions and one would suffer an early death.

Now I think the OP has added a Micro Aire Easy Start to the equation. I will be following this with much interest as I am experimenting with a modified AC unit and thinking of adding the Micro Aire.

A gremlin is not letting me make this a link?

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?variant=30176048267

Clicky

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS