|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 02:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

....snip......

Please tell me how that qualifies as posting an answer without knowing the question.

I guess it does not matter about things like temperature, altitude, other loads, or how close others might be? Just the brand. Hondas are great, had three myself.

dom101

kelowna BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 03:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That easy start sounds pretty expensive. You can pick up a hard start kit for about 15 t0 20 dollars that does exactly the same thing, maybe even better under low voltage. Just google SPP5 SPP6 SPP8 The higher the number just means more capacity of the starting capacitor

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would get the Yamaha 2800 watt inverter gen or the Champion 3500 with elect start.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based on my own actual experience with a Honda 2200i, Coleman 11k Mach 1 P.S. at 4,800’ and Hyper-Engineering Sure Start, with onboard converter charger switched to OFF, and after about 30 min of A/C run time, amp requirements go up, I wouldn’t recommend it.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

otrfun wrote:

....snip......

Please tell me how that qualifies as posting an answer without knowing the question.
I guess it does not matter about things like temperature, altitude, other loads, or how close others might be? Just the brand. Hondas are great, had three myself.
Let my try to make this more clear for you. I believe you snip before you read---lol!

1. The OP asked several questions. I answered only one of his two or three questions. Specifically, the one asking for a Honda/Yamaha comparison. I answered by comparing three different sets of manufacturer's specs. Again, nothing more, nothing less.

2. Your concern with "temperature, altitude, and other loads" is called "application" (i.e., HOW a generator will be used). I did NOT address or discuss application. Ultimately, it's up to the OP to decide which generator is best for his specific application.

Certainly hope this brings some clarity in your on-going quest to help the OP.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dom101 wrote:

That easy start sounds pretty expensive. You can pick up a hard start kit for about 15 t0 20 dollars that does exactly the same thing, maybe even better under low voltage. Just google SPP5 SPP6 SPP8 The higher the number just means more capacity of the starting capacitor
There is a massive difference in capability between a Micro-Air Easy Start and a simple hard-start kit. A hard-start kit may reduce inrush current (LRA) a few amps under the best of conditions. The MAES can reduce inrush current (LRA) 20 amps or more. Current reduction of this magnitude takes a tremendous strain off the generator upon start-up. In this comparison you definitely get what you pay for.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

...snip......

2. Your concern with "temperature, altitude, and other loads" is called "application" (i.e., HOW a generator will be used). I did NOT address or discuss application. Ultimately, it's up to the OP to decide which generator is best for his specific application.

OK, OK. Application is not a factor. Neither is budget. Just red versus blue. I like red too. I have wasted a lot of money over the years without asking about "applications". But it is not "our" money, is it? I prefer asking over opining, without the facts.

* This post was edited 02/10/19 05:56pm by TomG2 *

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 06:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

dom101 wrote:

There is a massive difference in capability between a Micro-Air Easy Start and a simple hard-start kit. A hard-start kit may reduce inrush current (LRA) a few amps under the best of conditions. The MAES can reduce inrush current (LRA) 20 amps or more. Current reduction of this magnitude takes a tremendous strain off the generator upon start-up. In this comparison you definitely get what you pay for.

I know what a hard/soft start capacitor will do and have been reading up on the Micro air. Not sure if it is something I want to try. I know I can run 8k with a Honda 2000, but if I could take all strain off the Honda might be worth the money?

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 06:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

otrfun wrote:

...snip......

OK, OK. Application is not a factor. Neither is budget. Just red versus blue. I like red too. I have wasted a lot of money over the years without asking about "applications". But it is not "our" money, is it? I prefer asking over opining, without the facts.
You're reaching now. No one said application or budget are not important. As for red vs. blue, the manufacturers specs are there for everyone to see and interpret as they see fit. I'm just the messenger.

Find it quite interesting that you prefer "asking over opining, without the facts". Maybe that explains why my answer to the OP's question bothered you so much.

Have a good one.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

When you say cheap Sam's Club units, don't know if you're talking about open frame contractor-style generators or inverter generators.

For example, the sportsman 2200

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/2000w-generator-sine-wave-inverter/prod21372782.ip?xid=plp_product_1_4

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS