|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at larger capacity inverter generators, they begin to approach the cost of two smaller units. Advantage of smaller units, lots less fuel, and if you don't need the extra capacity, you're only running one.

I have a 5500 open frame unit that I use at the house. If I could figure out how to get it in and out of the truck, that is one option... not one I care to use.

With this being a new venture, not sure where the wheels are going to take us, expect most travels right now to be well below where elevations will be a concern. WRT load, being a small trailer, and both fridge and hot water tank being dual source, could manage the rest of the load.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Find it quite interesting that you prefer "asking over opining, without the facts". Maybe that explains why my answer to the OP's question bothered you so much.
Have a good one.

I will have a good one, since I have not told the OP which one will suit his needs without knowing what those needs are. Happens all the time on here. Personal prejudices come before collecting information. Just maybe, he does not need a red, blue, or any generator at all? I have fooled with marginal generators. That's why I ask questions instead of pontificating.

"Yamaha has a fuel gauge. Honda doesn't. IMO, it goes downhill from there."

Good advice.

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 13.5K with 59 LRA would not start in Phoenix @1400 ft if over 60 degrees with my EU2000i.

Added a Micro Air Easy Start, would not start reliably over 85-90 degrees.

Switched to EU2200i.......tested it at 115 degrees in ECO mode and it starts and runs fine.
Tested at 7600ft ~80 degrees in ECO mode started and ran just fine.

Tested my 2200 at the end of the break in, maxed at 2400 watts to electric heaters, not sure how long it would go at max.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 07:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Switched to EU2200i.......tested it at 115 degrees in ECO mode and it starts and runs fine.

Good information. Have you tried it with a 15K unit like the OP has?

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 09:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Good information. Have you tried it with a 15K unit like the OP has?

I don’t know anyone with a 15K but I would doubt it would work well without a MicroAES installed also.

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

. . .

Tested my 2200 at the end of the break in, maxed at 2400 watts to electric heaters, not sure how long it would go at max.
Very impressive. Our new EU2200i is due to arrive tomorrow. Plan on powering a Dometic 10k btu a/c (among other things) with it. Hard to get specs from Dometic, so no idea what the LRA is. I'm guessing it's about 45-50 amps. Got our fingers crossed it'll reliably start this a/c with the Eco mode on without needing a Micro-Air Easy Start.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 11:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

Honda EU2200i has an OHC 121cc engine vs. the new Yamaha's EF2200iS 79cc OHV engine. IMO, an OHC engine is an inherently better, more efficient design.

What is better about an OHC design? I understand the desire for the larger displacement (more power to turn the actual generator). But I find both of your other claims to be questionable at the last.

There's nothing more efficient about an OHC over a conventional OHV design. Some of the best, most efficient, and most powerful engines on earth use OHV engines. 2 of the big 3 use OHV gasoline engines exclusively in their full size trucks, and Ford just released details on their newest engine, and guess what? It's OHV. There is nothing wrong with OHV engines. I'll admit by bias, though. I won't own ANY vehicle with an overhead cam engine. I have zero interest in them and to this day, I'm convinced they are a solution in search of a problem to solve.

Also, if 79ccs will make enough horsepower to create the rated output, I also dispute that a 121cc engine to do the same thing will be more efficient. Gasoline still burns most efficiently at 14.7:1, and an engine almost twice the size will have to burn more fuel even at the same load, unless there is some kind of vast disparity in design where friction or some other variable makes up the difference (not likely).

road-runner

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/19 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

otrfun wrote:

Honda EU2200i has an OHC 121cc engine vs. the new Yamaha's EF2200iS 79cc OHV engine. IMO, an OHC engine is an inherently better, more efficient design.

What is better about an OHC design? I understand the desire for the larger displacement (more power to turn the actual generator). But I find both of your other claims to be questionable at the last.
I'll probably regret stepping into this...

The only claims I see are about engine size. Are they incorrect? The comments about engine design and efficiency are clearly labeled as opinion.

2009 Fleetwood Icon

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/19 11:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

twodownzero wrote:

otrfun wrote:

There's nothing more efficient about an OHC over a conventional OHV design. Some of the best, most efficient, and most powerful engines on earth use OHV engines. 2 of the big 3 use OHV gasoline engines exclusively in their full size trucks, and Ford just released details on their newest engine, and guess what? It's OHV. There is nothing wrong with OHV engines. I'll admit by bias, though. I won't own ANY vehicle with an overhead cam engine. I have zero interest in them and to this day, I'm convinced they are a solution in search of a problem to solve.

Also, if 79ccs will make enough horsepower to create the rated output, I also dispute that a 121cc engine to do the same thing will be more efficient. Gasoline still burns most efficiently at 14.7:1, and an engine almost twice the size will have to burn more fuel even at the same load, unless there is some kind of vast disparity in design where friction or some other variable makes up the difference (not likely).
No, there's nothing wrong per se with an OHV engine. OHV is fine for lower RPM applications like the lower revving, high torque truck applications you speak of. However, you'll rarely see OHV in high-rpm applications. An OHC design has a lot less moving mass in the valve train assembly (vs. an OHV design) which allows for more efficient, accurate control of the valves at higher rpm's. This is the reason why the vast majority of cars on the road on the road today use an OHC configuration. If OHV was a better design I assure you car manufacturers would use it---but, the fact is they don't.

I'll think you'll find the 121cc Honda has very similar fuel consumption ratings as the 79cc Yamaha. With all things being equal, I'll always vote for the stronger mass of a larger displacement engine. When I said "more efficient design" I was referring to increased mechanical efficiency an OHC engine offers vs. an OHV engine (as I noted in the previous paragraph).

All said and done, YMMV. You prefer OHV. I like OHC. That's ok--lol!

* This post was edited 02/11/19 12:06am by otrfun *

jjrbus

FT Myers FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/19 05:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

My 13.5K with 59 LRA would not start in Phoenix @1400 ft if over 60 degrees with my EU2000i.

Added a Micro Air Easy Start, would not start reliably over 85-90 degrees.

Thanks for a detailed response.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> 15k BTU on 2200 watt generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS